Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dedicated translation software?

neurosis

Is anyone out there using any type of dedicated translation software? We are trying to find a solution for translating files in to any format we need from a single piece of software. Ive looked at a few options but have no experience with any of the companies that offer a dedicated solution.

I also dont understand why Solidworks wont translate catia files. :shrug:

Our issue with translation is that our QC department needs to be able to receive the files in and keep a copy of the original file for inspection purposes. Our CMM can only read in iges "cough cough". We need a solution that will allow QC to read the files in and translate them to what even the rest of the shop needs, programming, cmm, etc. The problem is catia files.

The boss doesnt want to pay for a catia translator for both our qc department AND programming and its apparently not acceptable to send the catia file to programming to have it translated in to something that can be used on our cmm.

Ive looked at the Delcam Exchange. Its looks pretty good. I dont like the idea of pay per translate but it may be cost effective depending on how many files we need translated. Im curious what it costs per file. Some of the files we receive are large assemblies with several files making up the entire assembly. I can see that adding up fast.

Thanks for the suggestions.

It has nothing to do with the different software's inability to translate Catia files. It has everything to do with Catia charging companies (Solidworks, MasterCam, etc...)for the right (license)to use a translator for their files, so the cost is redirected to the end user.

Seems to me they are still trying to squeeze every penny they can when the rest of the world has moved on.

Our engineering dept. experimented with a product called Transmagic to see if it could assist on cleaning up some of the files we used to import from the auto industry. I think they got some fairly good results but this was a while ago as we no longer deal with the auto industry.

http://www.caddit.net/store/index.php?main...&products_id=50

You may also want to look at Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended. They have a 30 day free trial and claim to open most any file. I've tested it on Solidworks, Pro-E, and Mastercam.

It will open Solidworks and Pro-E will not open Mastercam file. You can then export the model as iges, xt, step, or stl.

Can Also save as a pdf file.