Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mpmaster for X4

gcode

quote:

You have the "Peace of mind" that Inhouse has proof-read and tested it

Actually gcode teh beta tester had trouble

updating a couple of X3 mpmasters,

He sent them in to Mastercam QC and In House.

They discovered an improperly declared

vairable that was causing X4 to error out.

CNC Software edited the update chook to fix the problem so that updating mpmaster to X4 would be trouble free.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is the Mpmaster format the way it is?

This is what is posted, I deleted the

un-nessesary stuff

This is as posted:

O2020 (SHIFTER OP 10)

G00 G17 G20 G40 G80 G90

G91 G28 Z0.

(C-DRILL ALL HOLES)

T1 M06 (1/4 DIA C-DRILL)

(MAX - Z3.)

(MIN - Z-.1625)

G00 G17 G90 G54 X2.8582 Y-.775 S2500 M03

G43 H1 Z3. T2

G94

G98 G81 Z-.1625 R.1 F12.

X2.8582

G80

M05

G91 G28 Z0.

M01

Why not a simple straight forward format that is easy and clean to look at like this:

N1 G28 G91 Z0 M5

G00 G17 G20 G40 G80 G90 G98

(C-DRILL ALL HOLES)

T1 M06 (1/4 DIA C-DRILL)

(MAX - Z3.)

(MIN - Z-.1625)

G54 X2.8582 Y-.775 S2500 M03 T2

G43 H1 Z3. M8

G81 G98 R.1 Z-.1625 F12.

X2.8582

G80

M09

G28 G91 Z0 M5

M01

(*)

AND ON TO THE NEXT TOOL........

The Mpmaster has redundant G codes and looks sloppy.

The modified format listed above I have used for years on Haas, Fanuc, Yasnac, Mazak EIA mode controls with very little mods between machines.

The Gcodes are in order and each tool is a self contained tool, safe to run from any position or fixture set up.

Just my thoughts.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...The Mpmaster has redundant G codes and looks sloppy.

If you're looking that close at code then you have too much time on your hands. wink.gif I RARELY ever look at code anymore. It serves almost no purpose. I figure if I did my job programming, the code should be good. I've seen sompanies print out their programs... eek.gif talk about killing a forest... my goodness, printing out 10,000 lines of code... for what? All you ever need to look at is the start of the tool, operation to operation transitions on null tool changes, and end of tool. That's it. If you're looking at more then that... you're wasting time.

quote:

The Gcodes are in order...

And this matters because???? headscratch.gif

MPMaster is a generic post MEANT for modification by the end user/post writer. It is the post that many of us START with, but like you we have certain tastes. Personally I could care less about redundant code. If the machine does not care, why should I?

JM2C

It as you stated a personal preference, but I have talked to many guys who are not programmers, but set up people. They will do simple modifications to programs, like combine operations with two vises ect. They do not like things out of order, because they do not fully understand all of the aspects of G-code. I like to keep every thing eazy and straight forward for them. I guess I am a little to finicky, but I teach this stuff too, and I find that I can explain to my students easier when the format has fewer duplicate G-codes, and follows a simple step by step process of starting and ending a tool. As Machinist, why shouldn't we strive for a simpler more universal approach to CNC machining. If a shop follows a fairly consistent format from machine to machine it is much easier for employees to migrate to different machine centers with out the panic of "hey this program does not look like the other machines"

Again I guess it is a personal thing, but it does look cleaner.

Mpmaster is a very powerful starting point for a custom post.

Predator & Metacut tool tables, HSM type output, multiple coolant code support, the list goes on and on.

If you don't like how the code looks, edit the post. If you don't know how, learn the MP language.

This is code from my Mpmaster post.

As posted ... no edits.

code:

O100 (CC34902.100..MP)

(REV
B)

(JUL-13-09)

(T1 - 1/2" EM)

(T2 - 1/4" EM)

(T3 - 1/8" EM)

(T4 - .060 EM)

(T5 - #1 C'DRILL)

(T6 - .0785 DRILL)

(T7 - 1/8" 90 DEG C'SINK)

(T8 - 2-56 ROLL TAP)

G91 G80 G40 G17 G0 G98

G90 X0 Y0

M1

(SKIM TOP)

T1 M6 (1/2" EM)

(MIN - Z-.32)

G0 G90 X1.395 Y-.22 S6000 M8

G91 G43 H1 Z0. M3 T2

G92 Z.05 M8

G90

M98 P101

/G55

/M98 P101

/G56

/M98 P101

/G57

/M98 P101

M9

G91 G28 Z0. M19

M1

O101 (CC34902.101..SP)

(SKIM TOP)

X1.395 Y-.22

Z.01

G1 Z-.01 F25.

X.995

X.005

X-.395

G0 Z.05

Y-.38

Z.01

G1 Z-.01

X.005

X.995

X1.395

G0 Z.05

(PROFILE)

X1.265 Y.395

Z.01

G1 Z-.16

Y-.005

Kind of part Mpmaster part Mpsubrep style posting.

EDIT: Once you get to understand MP language it will become clear that Mpmaster is a very bad a$$ post and it's free.

That's pretty clean code IMHO. smile.gif

[ 07-13-2009, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Mastercam Guru ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

No kidding... MPMaster smokes MPFan everyday that ends with "Y". biggrin.gif

No Offense to the CNC guys but MPMaster is just a way better post. Even with the occasional update bug.

quote:

That's pretty clean code IMHO.

Yeah, but your codes are not in numerical order so it's rubbish biggrin.giftongue.gif

CNC Apps Guy - You're right, G54 was missing. I accidently set mi1$ to zero turning off WCS numbering.

Thanks for pointing that out for me.

code:

O100 (CC34902.100..MP)

(REV
B)

(JUL-19-09)

(T1 - 1/2" EM)

(T2 - 1/4" EM)

(T3 - 1/8" EM)

(T4 - .060 EM)

(T5 - #1 C'DRILL)

(T6 - .0785 DRILL)

(T7 - 1/8" 90 DEG C'SINK)

G90 G80 G40 G17 G0 G98

G91 G28 Z0

G54

G90 X0 Y0

M1

(SKIM TOP)

T1 M6 (1/2" EM)

(MIN - Z-.32)

G0 G90 G54 X1.395 Y-.22 S6000 M9

G91 G43 H1 Z0. M3 T2

G92 Z.05 M9

G90

M98 P101

/G55

/M98 P101

/G56

/M98 P101

/G57

/M98 P101

/G58

/M98 P101

/G59

/M98 P101

G91 G28 Z0 M19

O101 (CC34902.101..SP)

(SKIM TOP)

X1.395 Y-.22

Z.01

G1 Z-.01 F25.

X.995

X.005

X-.395

G0 Z.05

Y-.38

Z.01

G1 Z-.01

X.005

X.995

X1.395

G0 Z.05

(PROFILE)

X1.265 Y.395

Z.01

G1 Z-.16

Better?

I agree that the MPMaster is a good post; it is the "Gold Standard" we should all start with. I never said it would not work, it works fine. I just had a small complaint about the program formatting, and feel that the post could be rearranged just a little to make cleaner more professional code. I am anal I know, but working with machinist on the shop floor, and running programs formatted with the stock MPMaster I realize it could be rearranged just a little, then the MPMaster could be shipped and used virtually as is.

Working and teaching this stuff has revealed to me how many shops do things so differently. One of my biggest frustrations is many CNC Machinist run the machines but have no real clue what the program is really doing. I can ask three guys to explain to me what G43 does and how it works with the WCO system and I will get three answers. I still have guys tell me they use different height offset registers when running a program with multiple WCO registers being used. One of my students told me how the shop he worked at can never use positive offsets because there machines will crash……………

When I looked at one of the program formats it contained “G49Z0” as a tool retract line. I asked why that line was there, he said it was how the machine would retract the tool to the machine home position (WRONG), but could not tell me why it would crash…….. Our industry needs to work smarter, CAD/CAM does much of this for us, and we ALL benefit from it, but knowledge still needs to be passed down to the shop floor, to the guys who are “making the chips”. I understand format is just a silly thing but streamlining simplifying, standardizing things will do a lot for the shop floor machinist.

Me as a programmer I do not care what the program looks like either, I push cycle start and let it rip, but as a Programmer, and teacher I understand the importance of the “Guy on the floor” and like to help them understand what they are doing, and not just go thru the motions of every day life making chips.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Whenever I've taught guys on the shop floor, I always told them don't get hung up on "housekeeping" issues. I say that because eventually in their pursuit of the cleanest code on the planet, they are going to forget/miss something and get burned!

"I say that because eventually in their pursuit of the cleanest code on the planet, they are going to forget/miss something and get burned!"

Amen Brotha,

why should i care if a G1 is being called more than once, the machines don't care they just cuts.

i worry more about the start of file,tool changes,end of file features. if the post is good and the code is bad then so was my programming! mad.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I know if I get too hung up on "how it looks", I'm never satisfied. I keep tweeking and screwing around with something that will not get the part done any faster or any better for that matter so what's the point. If it runs, RUN IT!