Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tapered pocket

Eric S.

Hi all smile.gif

I was wondering if there is a way to ramp a contour? What I have is a roughed out pocket that was made with depth cuts and the tapered walls function turned on. Now I am looking to finnish the walls with a 14deg. taper mill, but I like the finnish of the ramp instead of just the depth cuts. Any ideas?

I am using a HAAS VF3, and MC8.1 no solids

Thanks

Eric,

In the Contour parameters page of the operation, select Ramp from the pull-down menu, where it says "Contour Type", under the diagram. Then click on the Ramp button directly below the contour type field. The Ramp contour allows for a ramp by angle, depth, or simply to plunge straight down to the final depth. The Depths cut button will un-highlight after selecting your Ramp contour. HTH biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif The more I think about it the more imposible it sounds (without solids). How do people mill pipe threads? That is about the some sort of tool path that I am looking for?

I think maybe I'll have to live with milling the walls in steps and relax cheers.gif

Thanks for the help!

quote:

The more I think about it the more imposible it sounds (without solids). How do people mill pipe threads? That is about the some sort of tool path that I am looking for?

Here is the way iI did this when there was only wire.

Draw the proper top and bottom arcs of your cone.

Break each the circles into 8 pieces(or more). Put Cplane in 3-d, and make a line with end points, to the end points of each arc end. Now create points along an entity of each of the lines. Create an arc on the first quadrant using 3 points, and repeat for the next quad. until you get to the bottom, a spline may work also. Then contour in 3-d.

If a rash develops discontinue use.

Yours truly the Hardway

Eric...

Try toolpaths, next menu, wireframe. Use a ruled path and run it in the along direction. It takes a bit of playing at first, but once you get it you got it. Don't forget to leave a tiny ammount for a finish path at final depth.

Take care...

I know exactly what you want to do. You want to mill a tapered bore, but in a constant helix, so the tool moves in X Y and Z constantly.

The way to do it is:

Create a ruled surface, with the top contour the major bore diameter, and the lower contour the minor bore diamter.

Then use a Flowline toolpath and choose a spiral pattern. I used this the other day to machine 6 tapered bores in a stripper plate for an injection mould. The toolmaker couldn't believe the finish (there were no marks where the cutter had "stepped" down)

If you want, I'll put the file up on the FTP (I'll have to find it forst smile.gif

Hi all

Eric Sman

I gave my .02 on your v8 question WITH A V3.1 answer. There are also several other V8 optoins to make the similar cut. As for going to the V9, I think if we take to long to upgrade'' we will loose the support of thr power users that won't remember how to run the last version.

I use V9

I use Solids

Wish I had Mold Plus, and the Nc back-plotting Preditor Editor.

[ 08-02-2002, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Thanks for all the ideas guys cheers.gif

Thad the file you put on the ftp is the toolpath I am looking for(minus the angled walls).

I think that you might be right Scott about having to draw the toolpath I want then use 3d. I may be too lazy for that though smile.gif . We are getting the upgrade to V9 but I don't have the time to wait. Will the thread mill c-hook in V9 mill square threads!? eek.gif

I do not mean Acme threads. I was talking about using the tapered thread c-hook for milling out my pocket that is square. smile.gif I am pretty sure it can't. But that is the toolpath that I am looking for. confused.gif (Movement in the X Y & Z)

[ 08-02-2002, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Eric Sman ]

Scott,

quote:

I use V9

I use Solids

Wish I had Mold Plus, and the Nc back-plotting Preditor Editor.

Moldplus and the rest are great tools. Predator Editor is not the only editor which will Backplot NC code. Ask yourself this. Will Predator Editor Backplot code forward and BACKWARDS? Cimco Edit does and even has 2-D backplot for Lathe NC code. biggrin.gif Sorry if I step on anyone's toes here. Just wanted to put my .02 in. cheers.gif

Eric,

You may also want to try a Surface-Finish-Scallop toolpath and have it start at the top. The Scallop toolpath allows for a spiral pattern similar to surface Contour but the stepover is determined by the size of a scallop (step) you want. Very small scallop size produces an ultra-fine finish. HTH biggrin.gif

[ 08-02-2002, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott, SFA ]

Thanks for all the help! cheers.gif

I now have a toolpath that I was looking for. I ended up having to create a single surface in level 2 then use a flowline to finnish it. seems to do the job (I hope!)I haven't posted it yet smile.gif . I am new to using surfaces so please be patient with me. But I do not see any lead in or out? Is there no cutter comp for the tool dia.?

Eric Sman you a entry exit the you can use Drirectaion on the Surface Paramters page.

at this time there is NO cutter comp for surfaceing in 3D.

quote:

Will Predator Editor Backplot code forward and BACKWARDS? Cimco Edit does and even has 2-D backplot for Lathe NC code. Sorry if I step on anyone's toes here. Just wanted to put my .02 in

Peter is right we can not backplot backwards.

but we can do lathe.

peter my toes don't hurt at all.

I feel if you need more control for varification they will go to Predators full VCNC software that does it all.