Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Enhancement Request, Contour & Face Finish and Spring Passes

Dave.L

Hi All,

I know this has been discussed serveral times and I know I also participated.

We produce fairly small parts and due to that we use contour tool paths very often (instead of pocket paths).

With that said, I would love to see the following improvements to 2D contour paths:

1) The addition of spring passes.

2) The ability to set individual speeds and feeds for rough, finish, and spring passes.

3) The ability for the system to realize that the final depth pass and final multi-pass should be combined, or a check box to do so. (or am I missing something here) headscratch.gif

As far as face tool paths, I would like to see the following:

1) The addition of air passes (like spring passes, this is handy when trying to make a surface very, very flat)

2) The ability to set individual speeds and feeds for rough, finish, and air passes.

It seems as this would be easy to do and so many users would benifit from it.

Thanks,

Dave

Ive adapted my programming style to work within the limitations of the software. Rough with one tool and finish with another. Thats just a good machining practice. A spring pass can be generated thru multi pass by entering 1 ruff at 0 and 1 finish at 0. If you must ruff and finish with the same tool, frown.gif you can create a copy of it and alter the speed and feed. If you truly expect the software to do everything you want the way you want, we as programmers would become very replacable. The manipulating and work arounds defines the skill level of our craft. Whew! I could really go for a brew. cheers.gif

[ 12-16-2009, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Cad-Camr ]

We had 2 +1's so I guess I am +3 biggrin.gif

This has been brought up before. Seems like it would be easy enough. Really adds to the operation manager size when you have to keep copying for finish passes. Or else adds time to manually edit the program after posting. I think that there are a lot of people doing a lot of 2D work that this would greatly benefit.

quote:

Ive adapted my programming style to work within the limitations of the software. Rough with one tool and finish with another. Thats just a good machining practice. A spring pass can be generated thru multi pass by entering 1 ruff at 0 and 1 finish at 0. If you must ruff and finish with the same tool, you can create a copy of it and alter the speed and feed.

I know how to work around it but it's a waste. In many cases it's not needed to use different tools to rough and finish. Currently if you want to rough, finish and have a spring pass it requires multiple operations (you already know this) and the worst issue with this is the tool retracts between those operations which increases cycle time.

What we are asking for here is not rocket science, just a well thought out set of parameters based on reality. biggrin.gif

quote:

If you truly expect the software to do ecerything you want the way you want, we as programmers would become very replacable

Having better tools does not replace the programmer, it just provides more efficient ways to program. Was that not the whole point of CAM in the first place headscratch.gif

quote:

You need to go into the "roughing" tab and un-check the "rough".

I did this. It does not work.

BTW, I am getting the impression that you are not understanding the request of this topic coz even if this works, it does not come close to solving all the issues mentioned.

But, thanks for replying. cheers.gif

quote:

1) The addition of spring passes.

2) The ability to set individual speeds and feeds for rough, finish, and spring passes.

3) The ability for the system to realize that the final depth pass and final multi-pass should be combined, or a check box to do so. (or am I missing something here)

1- I believe this can be done already....set number of roughing pass to whatever you would like, and then under finish passes set 2 @ zero. My personal thing to do is to do 2 @ .001....seems to give me a bit better tool life than just letting the tool rub.

2 & 3.....always wanted this also.

quote:

Mark, to clarify, outside contour or profile, not inside.

Dave - If you want to use pocket finish for an outside profile, you need to make it an island inside a pocket, and un-check finish outside boundary.

Otherwise pocketing assumes an inside profile.

Here's a screen shot.

pocketprofile2.jpgsmile.gif

[ 12-16-2009, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Mastercam Guru ]