Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SAE Port Tools

dgriffiths

On 3/5/2023 at 4:48 AM, SlaveCam said:

How come I didn't know about those port tools earlier? Very useful for hydraulic block manufacturing! Can someone confirm they are free of errors?

20 years on this forum you learn a thing or two.

No idea if they are error free, but since they are only for graphical purposes only they are close enough for what I need. These should never substitute a correctly made tool and checking process in inspection. Remember Mastercam is still the cartoon world. The man who was kind of enough to share them is no longer with us to ask.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

20 years on this forum you learn a thing or two.

No idea if they are error free, but since they are only for graphical purposes only they are close enough for what I need. These should never substitute a correctly made tool and checking process in inspection. Remember Mastercam is still the cartoon world. The man who was kind of enough to share them is no longer with us to ask.

You can do a search for Parker SAE tools. There are many companies manufacturing them.

We use Arch tools to make ours but sadly they are closing down the Fort Wayne shop where we had ours made. I'm sure one of their other shops will continue making them.

• 8 months later...

Anyone have programming tips for A36 and standard SAE tools?? Speeds, feeds, stuff that worked, didn't work??

We are doing a part that is A36. The previous times we used 1018CDA huge difference in getting material to not tear on the corners.

I attached a sample file from Tim that has the current correct orientation for tools to create a step file.

SAE-02 PORT MODEL.mcam

11 minutes ago, cruzila said:

We are doing a part that is A36. The previous times we used 1018CDA huge difference in getting material to not tear on the corners.

I always finish the minor diameter with an endmill prior to plunging the tool onto the part, some people think undersize is better for drag on the tool, less chatter. But I go slow with molly-D and It's been quite successful in everything from A36 to 316L only cutting the critical area and thread milling after, taps are a nightmare. And don't forget most port tool spot faces are only required on unmachined surfaces. If you mill the face prior only a SF dusting is needed. 

• Like 3

Thanks!! All good advise, all stuff I'm doing, I guess it's just this batch of material, like I said, the 1018 was getting good finishes. We started using the SAE coated port tools for steel and saw a huge improvement on finish. Doing ports in aluminum and even stainless is a piece of cake. This gummy steel is a pain to get it right. I have even thought of 2-1/2 axis rough profiling the upper taper with an endmill to see if it helps. 

I have a new part we are getting ready to run with a T-19AU port. That should be fun.

8 minutes ago, cruzila said:

Thanks!! All good advise, all stuff I'm doing, I guess it's just this batch of material, like I said, the 1018 was getting good finishes. We started using the SAE coated port tools for steel and saw a huge improvement on finish. Doing ports in aluminum and even stainless is a piece of cake. This gummy steel is a pain to get it right. I have even thought of 2-1/2 axis rough profiling the upper taper with an endmill to see if it helps. 

I have a new part we are getting ready to run with a T-19AU port. That should be fun.

The real joy of A36 is that it's the sausage of metal...  The specs on it are so wide that the next batch you get might be totally different and cut a good chip like nothing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1