Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNC to Haas using USB Stick

Matthew

We have a Haas VF-3 here with the USB option. We use the USB stick to transfer programs to the machine. Recently I've had some programs that are too big to run in the Haas memory and have tried to DNC from the USB stick. I always seem to get an error, "EOF Found". When this happens the machine stops where it is with the spindle running until I press Reset. If I press the "Alarm" button to get more information on this error it says that it could not find the EOF marker, I'm assuming it's looking for the "%" sign. This is in my NC file on the USB stick but these never show up on any files I transfer to the Haas memory, or when I check the program on the USB stick from the control. Has anyone ever experienced this issue, and/or have a solution that might allow me to DNC larger programs to this machine?

Thanks,

Matt.

It happens somewhere in the program. It probably depends on how large the program is as to when it happens. I'm thinking it happens once it's finished reading to the end of the program and it doesn't find the EOF marker.

I know RS232 is an option, but since the machine has the USB port I'd really like to try and investigate getting it to work for this.

Go to 'list programs', then arrow down to USB, then arrow over to get in to the programs that are on your USB drive. Select one, then run it. Do not transfer the program into memory, just run it direct from the USB. That worked on VF2SS and VF4SS 2006-2007 machines. If that doesn't work. You could spend some money for a serial-usb controller from these folks.

http://www.calmotion.com/usbcnc.html

When running directly from a USB stick you still need to have % character at the beginning and end of each file.

You go to List Programs, hit cancel so you can move through the various options of Memory, USB and HardDrive.

Select the USB tab and press Write.

Now you have the directory of the USB.

Move the cursor to the file you want and pres the select program button.

You are now in FNC mode and will be running directly from the USB stick.

I've run off the USB many times with no issues. However, we do have an older TM-2 that will not work with it. I forget how big the harddrive is, but you can pretty much load anything into it and run it from there.

Just load the program from the USB like normal, except load it into the hard-drive, not the memory. That might fix your problem. Plus, you can run it through the graphics first to see if you hit any over-travel alarms or anything.

I received an actual error # this morning. # 430. From the Haas alarm manual:

430 (M) FILE UNEXPECTED END OF INPUT - Ending % sign not found. Check your program. An ASCII EOF code was found in the input data before program receive was complete. This is a decimal code 26.

When I open the program on my computer using Mastercam editor I have a '%' sign at the beginning and end of the program. When I view the program on the Haas control it doesn't have the '%' sign, nor does any program that is in the Haas memory.

I'll try the number that MCM posted above. If anyone has other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks,

Matt.

I called Haas tech support. They suggested taking a file that will fit in memory, load it from the USB stick, then send it back to the USB stick and run it. That worked. I did a file compare on my original posted file and the file that the Haas control wrote to my USB stick. There a couple of differences. The first difference is the name of the file. My original is 100.NC, and the one that the control wrote was O00100.NC. This is also the same in the name at the beginning of the file, instead of being O0100 it is O00100. The most notable difference is that every single line in the program that the control wrote to the USB stick has a space at the end of it. I'm doing a test now with another program written from the Haas control to my USB stick.

If this works I'd like to post out a program with a space at the end of every line to see if it will DNC to the machine. Any suggestions on a post edit to make this happen?

Thanks,

Matt.

quote:

My original is 100.NC, and the one that the control wrote was O00100.NC. This is also the same in the name at the beginning of the file, instead of being O0100 it is O00100.

So did you try just naming your test file the same way and running it? That would be an easy change to make permanent. I just looked at some old backups and all the programs are renumbered the same way. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

has this ever been figured out?

I have 2 newer haas machines that run fine off of the usb.

then I have a older vf5 that craps out at random points usually when its well into the program.

this is the only machine we have with the min amount of memory.we just upgraded it to the max amount of memory.

I haven't tried it yet but im thinking that maybe the small memory was causing a buffering problem?