Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS Discussion

quote:

4) If WCS had no issues, then the company you work for would have not created an add-on to better the functionality.

Dave since our customers are doing inspection they are use to those methods. We added them in when aligning measuring devices to parts in airplane space easier. Should they be standard additions that is not our call.

I will say you found a bug IMHO. That is not the way is use to work and the creating of a new view goes against the way it was worked for years. However it does update your operations that are assigned to it then only requiring a regen. Again being a CAM system this not something you would see with a CAD system so this step goes against apples to apples doesn't it?

The point about the name is very valid and if worked like it had for years then it would save you steps naming the WCS the current way is now. Since you use WCS regularly I would recommend back dating. This is not as easy and intuitive as it use to be and understand your frustration. IMHO it is not a show stopper or limit the program's capabilities and sorry to say it will probably get a low importance applied to it to get addressed.

[ 03-14-2010, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Crazy^Millman ]

quote:

Colin I am writing up a summary with screen shots and maybe a video to try to help this get addressed.

Ron, while I appreciate that, I don't think it's required. This thread, my step-by-step post and Colins, should be all that's needed for CNC software to re-create this issue.

Ron/Colin,

I am all for sending this in but I don't think a lot of documentation is required. A few posts from this formum or a link attached to an email should do it. I would do it myself but just last week I sent an email to QC and the spam filter kicked it out.

Thanks for the help.

quote:

Trust me it is necessary and to be sure of that is gets bug number that will be logged. Again this is not the CNC software forum they have nothing to do with this forum. Big reason why most times they do not chime in.

Ron is SPOT on.

Most don't read here but very occasionally, QC almost never, if you want the best contact it is best to contact QC directly.

WOW!

this is just silly. You have the ability to edit existing Work coordinate systems, period. That is the whole point of having associative views. What is the difference if you open a dialog and rotate 180, or rotate some geometry 180?

1. If you want your view to be tied to your model, select geometry of the model, then when you rotate the model your view updates.

2. If you want to be able to control the view independent of the model, use the method I described earlier to place a gnomon via xform dynamic.

A separate dialog would be nice, especially for beginners, as long as we don't lose the ability to be associative.

Roger it is not working like it has for years. It should not create a Copy of the WCS and then a New WCS called "NEW VIEW". You now have 3 WCS in the view manger. This is not how it use to be. Yes the new View does get replaced in operations, but if you name the view and are asked to accept it then it should be like it was not a WCS with the name you just gave it and then another WCS with a name "NEW VIEW 1".

Dave, Don't be so arrogant to assume that the way you do things is the only way people work. There are many ways to program parts, not to mention different kinds of machines. If I rotate my model to sit in Mastercam the way it is sitting on the machine (HMC for example), then I want all my views to follow the model. If I am programming multiple setups then yes, I would want to control them independently. It just depends on what you are doing.

Ron, I am talking about using geometry to create an associative view, then rotating the geometry. I get what you are saying about rotate view

Just to clarify:

1. create a new view by geometry, pick two lines X+ then Y+

2. if you xform (rotate, translate, dynamic) to "MOVE" the geometry the view will follow the geometry and have a new orientation and/or origin. You will NOT have any duplicate views, you will NOT need to edit common parameters to pick a new view, simply regenerate the dirty operations.

Dave yes it does here is a step by step with screen shots.

From my workoffset example the other day:

Here is the 2 vices and using 2 WCS to make parts in 2 vices.

2WCSWORKOFFSETS.png

Here is one of the operation with the WCS "G55 USING WCS". Here the quick detail area in the lower left shows the WCS it is using:

Step1ViewManager.png

Now I will take and rotate the WCS on the second vice. You will see step by step with the following pictures. Notice in the lower left hand corner the WCS I am using name G55 USING WCS.

Step1.png

Now to rotate it 180 and will see the Gnome now face X axis 180 degrees.

Step2180rotate.png

Now it will ask me to name it and I call it the same name:

Step2Named.png

Now I will be asked to overwrite an existing WCS:

Step3Overwrite.png

Now I look at my screen and see my C/T plane is undefined, but you will also notice my gnome has not moved look in the corners:

Step3bug.png

Ok my operations got dirty from this like I expected:

DirtyOps.png

Will continue with next posting used 8 pictures:

Ron,

I swear I did that the other day and got different results, I will try it again and let you know. Probably not until tonight though.

PS, I think different results can come if you use standard or non-standard views but I am not 100% sure about this.

PS, notice in your example the new view 1 has the wrong work offset. So at a bare min. you will need to change the old view to -1 and change the new view to what you need.

Thanks.

Roger I am with Dave on having to create anything to make it do what it has done for years with no problem. I do thing by operation and move the model since Solid layout does not use WCS. I went back and tried this in X2MR2SP1 and it rotated the WCS and replaced the old one without calling it "NEW VIEW 1". It should not be adding a new view if it is asking me to over write and existing one.

quote:

Dave, Don't be so arrogant to assume that the way you do things is the only way people work.

Roger,

I am not. I stated issues with what I was doing and others agreed. You were the one to pipe in with what you see as "silly".

So, who was being arrogant headscratch.gif

I get that rotate view doesn't work like it did. To be honest I've never been comfortable with that process as I've had issues with it in the past, probably V9 and X. Not to mention you the name has to match the existing view exactly or it doesn't work.That is when I strarted to stricktly do what I do now with the merged in gnomon, then I can manipulate the geometry without any issues. Not to mention it is much easier to manipulate using all of the xform functions.

Regards,

Dave your only issue seems to be you don't want to have "extra" geometry. Well don't think of it as extra geometry, think of it as neccesary geometry to build your WCS's. problem solved. Certainly if you would like to see an enhancement send it in. but there is a current way of doing what you want without any issues.