Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS Discussion

OK, here is another example:

Take a file from a part and do a "save-as" to another part. (Similar parts).

Now, delete all the geometry. Import the new model. Assume the part has just two operations and two WCS, called OP1 and OP2 and assume you have a bunch of tool paths using those WCS's.

Now, take your OP1 and OP2 WCS and try manipulating them to the new part and BTW, assume the new part requires the WCS's to be rotated and have a new origin.

MC, will create two New WCS's since you cannot rotate these with out the new view creation.

MC will associate all your tool paths to the old view so you need to mess around to get this all cleaned up.

If I am missing something here, please educate me.

Dave, one thing I always do is save my Solidworks files as Parasolid, with a reference coordinate system in the location that I want my TOP/initial WCS. This will eliminate any issue with setting up your first WCS, since it comes in automatically set to TOP. (Plus it gives me a record of exactly what it was that I imported into Mastercam for toolpaths).

After that, just figure out where you want your OP20 WCS, click Dynamic WCS, click on the OP20 origin, and rotate the gnomon to however you want it. The new WCS created with the dynamic function will only create the view that you're using. No extras.

Try this..

Open your new model in a new file.

Create WCS Op1

Make sure WCS, tool and construction planes

are set correctly

Import the OP1 toolpaths

with

"Assign current system tool and construction planes"

enabled.

Do the same with OP2

Now all your ops are in the file with correct

planes assigned.. I copy 300 -400 operation

3+2 5axis files to new parts this way all the time,

bringing the operations in 4 or 5 at a time

OK guys, your suggetions are all good and I will try those methods.

But for the record, an existing WCS cannot be manipulated well. That was my whole point.

Joe, Tom has suggested the same thing before but a don't like the idea of creating a parisold, but I will try it since it's sounds like it may be well worth the effort. And, I know one click is not a lot of effort, it's just more files to deal with than I think should be needed.

quote:

But for the record, an existing WCS cannot be manipulated well. That was my whole point.

Dave, this is not true at all.

The WCS can be manipulated however you like.

What you and others don't like is the fact that when you do manipulate it it becomes a New View/WCS/Plane

It is however still a good and valid WCS to use.

quote:

Now, take your OP1 and OP2 WCS and try manipulating them to the new part and BTW, assume the new part requires the WCS's to be rotated and have a new origin.

If you spent the 1 extra minute making those WCS with the 2-line method in the first place, you would be able to manipulate both of them for the new part in under 30 seconds. I know it's "not how it should be" but until you try doing things this way for a while, you will never understand how easy it really is.

quote:

What you and others don't like is the fact that when you do manipulate it it becomes a New View/WCS/Plane

Finally, my point has been made biggrin.gif

That's exactly what I don't like and have never seen in any other system.

Man, it's 11:30 AM and I already need a beer cool.gif

Im used to the WCS and how all of it works. My only problems is, we have one seat in English and one in German. When I open a file created in the german version, I'm on the English seat, it adds all the standard WCS's to the german copy. So now instead of having the normal amount of WCS's I now have doubl the amount. Now comes the fun. When my team mate opens the file again, it will then add german WCS's to the German and English ones that are already there so we now have WCS's in triplecate, and so on infinitly. I just delete over defined WCS's.

quote:

OK guys, your suggetions are all good and I will try those methods

Please do, and once you use it multiple times daily, you will like it. When I import my solids, I bring in the whole assy and I might have 40-80 added wcs planes by the time I get done programming. If I'm out of work for a day and someone else opens on of my mold assy files, the phone starts ringin off the hook with people asking me what I got goin on and how to find a part file within my file......I just laugh and say, I'll be there asap. lol

quote:

Finally, my point has been made [big Grin]

I knew what you were talking about all along wink.gif

In an ideal world, I'd like to see an active WCS gnome like the Dynamic one, that when I grab the handles and spin them 90° about the Z, I rotate my WCS but I DO NOT create any type of view, tool path regenerate and you've flipped your WCS 90°.

The views should be in the background and relative to the active system, unnamed and unmade.

and I am sure I am missing one or two other things with it but that would be the nuts, if you ask me.

this is what I do:

1. file -> merge pattern a "gnomon.mcx" file. which contains 3 1" long "THICK" lines at the origin which are red, green, and blue for X, Y, and Z respectively, I have mine on level 10,000.

2. use xform dynamic (copy) to place the merged gnomon at the location and orientation I want to create my new plane.

3. create my new plane using the freshly xformed geometry.

4. I now have a plane that is correct, editable in origin, editable in orientation. Problem Solved.

I suggest you use a standardized naming scheme with a standardized level list so you can easily reference the planes. It really doesn't get much simpler, The only thing that could make this easier is if they add a "create associative plane" button the dynamic plane dialog which would automatically create the gnomon for me along with my plane. I've been meaning to send this in as an enhancement, this thread has prompted me to.

Regards,

quote:

3. create my new plane using the freshly xformed geometry.

Roger, nice ideas.

I think this could be even better with a simple

"normal" to this face option and select the origin

Rotational plane created.

Dynamic planes is "almost" there but carrying the new views is overkill if you ask me.

I'm sure I've sent in the enhancement request for "create associate plane" via the dynamic plane dialog, but I just sent it in again for good measure. Then it would be one stop shopping, dynamic plane, orientate, check the box for associative plane, and hit the green check and you have a plane tied to the gnomon which could be edited.

quote:

"normal" to this face option and select the origin

Rogers method is basically the same as the 2-line method, except he adds the line to represent which way the Z axis points. I too add a Z line for clarity purposes, but functionally, it has no purpose.

JParis, you do know that Dynamic Xform will easily make any axis normal to whatever surface you wish, right?

leigh, you are absolutely correct it is still creating a plane by geometry, X line, then Y line.

But, using dynamic xform to orientate the merged in gnomon means ZERO geometry creation. Having a nice thick red/green/blue gnomon is very visual and makes editing the gnomon dirt simple, especially if you use dynamic xform.