Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS Discussion

quote:

I think the real misconception here is that the "two line" method is a workaround, which is simply not true.

Is it a method recommended in the Mastercam WCS help? I see no mention of this method as the best or preferred method in which to use the WCS. So why would the people who make the software not call it out in their help if is not a work around?? headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

I like to use the two line method. I've found it very reliable and simple to use.

I am open to new ideas and would like to use dynamic planes more often. I've played with it a little and probably would use it more if it were part of the view manager.

FYI, as all other systems I have used, and I stated this before, a WCS, UCS, whatever you want to call it, can be easily manipulated via coordinate system manipulation commands, such as but not limited to rotate. In MC, the WCS origin can be moved very easy and rotation should be no different.

We are evaluating Esprit and guess what, rotating what they call the WCS/UCS (workplane) is just as simple as all other systems I have used.

If you think creating extra geometry, and then rotating that geometry in model space is not a work around, well then you will just never understand the true purpose of a user coordinate system.

Furthermore, I think MC confuses this whole topic by combining what they call a view and a WCS.

I agree, different terminology could be used. And, I am not saying that there is not room for improvement, again you talked about a dialog to edit an existing view, and this has been brought up in the past by others including myself. In the current version of Mastercam the two line method works, is not a workaround, and is extremely simple to edit a view. In the future, if/when there is a dialog to edit a view, then yes the current two line method would be a workaround. what is the difference if you use a rotate/translate command in an edit plane dialog, or use a rotate/translate command to move some geometry, the result is the same. The geometry isn't extra if it is required to have an editable WCS.

• 1 year later...

I totally agree with you. Outputting to a selcted workplane in PM was so much easier than messing around with WCS in Mastercam. I have been using it for the last 6 months, and I still don't understand the whole views/plans/wcs thing yet. Too bloody confusing.

@Joe788,

I get what you mean but I still think it's unnecessary.

When I used PowerMILL I had the choice of outputting NC code relative to either the WCS I used to create the toolpath (I'm moving the part) or to a different WCS of my choosing (PowerMILL outputs the angular rotation and the machine moves the part).

Lots simpler IMO and Views/Planes don't come into it.