Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Template Mastercam files

Roger Peterson

In an effort to work smarter (or I'm a little lazy) I've been using template files in Mastercam since V5.5. The reason for template files are numerous but basically, Template files = faster and easier. If you are not familiar with a template file, basically you open an existing mcx file that contains commonly used toolpaths, tooling, levels, views, geometry, etc... then merge your part geometry in to the existing file.

A few reason to use template files:

1. prenamed/predefined level list. It's a lot faster and easier on every file if you have a consistent set of levels in every file, this is a HUGE timesaver.

2. organized operations manager with group/subgroup names setup for this family of parts. Example if you have 4 vises you can have a toolpath group for each vise, subgroups for roughing, finishing, drilling, etc...

3. you can also have the common toolpaths used for this family of parts including tooling, feeds/speeds, stepovers, etc... ready to go in the correct toolpath groups refrencing the correct WCS, just add geometry

4. predefined associative views that can be edited for; multiple vises, indexer work, tombstone work, etc... For example, if you work with 4 vises you can have four predefined views where all you have to do is set the origin .

5. your template file can also contain geometry. your custom print borders for all the standard size papers you use, just turn a level on. Again if you use 4 vises you could have the vises already setup to accept your merged in geometry. little things like G54, G55, G56 notes created in the iso cplane ready to be used for setup sheets. etc...

6. tooling, in addition to the common toolpaths you can have all the tooling predefined in your mcx file with the correct feeds and speeds defined for this style of part/material.

7. there are many other scenarios like for router customers with a drill block, you can have a template file for when you have different drills loaded into your drill block.

8. All of this adds up to consistency, organization, and minimizing the time wasting things you do on every job.

vote and give feedback!

Thank you,

Is there a defined "template" file, different extension etc that you can have loaded up with mastercam? I just have a file saved with the name template that is read only and set to load up when I start mastercam using the command line options.

Matt.

Roger I here what you are saying, but in an environment where you are doing turning, 3 axis, 4th axis, 5th axis, and Mill/turn work you would have to have so many different templates it not becomes more work in simple jobs. In bigger shops I have done this, but myself and the guy I am training are the only 2 guys here. I turned over all lathe work to him. He follows the level method I want, and he does a very good job and doing things. We import out items needs, but we do not do families of parts here. we may be making a program for a 2" part and then for a 55" part. One having 2 operation and one have 15 operations pigeon holing us would create more work in a lot cases. Epically with the level bug right now. I am working along and some levels will not be visible or not show up and then I have to open and close the levels manger just I was using V9 most days. If we were locked into a template method here i would have thrown this computer through the wall.

same thing with contact programming. I may be doing a VTL part, 5 axis Trunnion, 5 Axis head head, or 2 axis lathe, and making templates for all of that would not be profitable.

Start simple, it doesn't take much to be a time saver. For example, VMC with a 4th axis, EVERY file requires me to create a view for the bottom and back planes so the X+ direction is correct? A big deal, no. But using a template file that contains those views saves me time on every job. Throw in a standard levels manager layout, and a few tools that always stay in the machine and pretty soon you have yourself a very functional template file that saves time on nearly every file.

One of the things I didn't bring up in the original post, mostly because you cannot import them, is viewsheets. Viewsheets, while not perfect, offer some real time saving features. a Template file can contain predefined viewsheets, all you would need to do is bookmark them.

I'm not saying template files are for everyone, or every situation, but start small and most everyone will benefit.

Thank you for voting, good info.

I wanted to post this because there are softwares that integrate template files into the interface, solidworks for example. I think most everyone could benefit from template files if they were aware of them, and had some documentation to help get them going. I've help setup template files for customers that saves them an amazing amount of time. I've sent this in as an enhancement request.

I do use template files in a limited fashion. For this enhancement request I wouldn't want CNC Software to bother actually creating any templates as that could be easily left up to the user but what CNC should do is to make a special Mastercam Template file format and integrate it with the File Open dialog. I have this feature in other software I use and it's very handy.

i just tried adding the path information of a template file into the target on the desktop

C:mcamxMastercam.exe C:mcamxmcxtemplatesA0_MM.MCX

all on one line with just a space between the Mastercam.exe and it opened the file on startup

this is an easy way to start with the template file on starting mastercam

ajmer,

Yes, this does work. As I see it here's the problem, I'll use SW as an example but in UG you can do nearly the same thing.

In Solidworks, you actually have a template file file that when you load all of the settings are loaded into your new file. The caveat in doing it this way is that the template file is a different extension so you do not have to worry about overwriting your template file.

In Mastercam, you save an .mcx file with all of your settings, you open it and they load, now you import geometry or toolpath and you hit save instead of save as and you've just overwritten your template file.

Having a template file with a different extension is really the way this should be handled. In Solidworks I can have multiple templates, it would be nice if this was possible in Mastercam as well.

John,

Yes, having a different extension would be great. In the meantime if you just make your template file "read-only" you avoid accidentally overwriting the file. I just tried it and it worked great. If you open your template file, create something else and hit "save", you get a permission denied error. Change the name/location, and it saves just fine...

Yup, that would certainly work Colin for some users.

We have many users that can't change a thing and getting their IT to do anything seems to take an act of Congress.

But yeah, that will certainly work

I used to use templates, but now I just import what I need to keep from cluttering up the file with non-usuable information ...

I have a standard of naming and using levels ... for example, OP-1 toolpath geometry starts at 1000, OP-2 at 2000, etc, WCS OP-1 at 100, OP-2 at 200, etc. fixtures, sub-plate etc starts at 7000 and are kept in groups ...

It is interesting that in this poll (at this time) there are 21-No, but I was not aware ... and 24- No, and I was aware ... that's 45 people ...

Under will try in the future-19 said NO

Soooooooo ... how come under I DON'T USE TEMPLATE FILES, BUT I USE: there are 53 person in the count??????????

Maybe, it is not properly worded, or the answers are not good ...

Just a thought ...

I answered "Other" to question four only because I do use template files and I couldn't finish the survey without answering the question somehow.

It would be nice if there was an actual template file, so if i opened a SLDPRT file for example it would import the file with the template settings (tools mainly in my case). Currently I have the template marked as Read-Only, however I have to open the template file, import my SLDPRT file, save-as and change the name.

I don't find this too big of a problem, but when I try to teach other people this they look at me funny because it's so many more steps than they did before. They do realize the benefit after doing it a couple of times, but so many steps could be avoided.

It would also be nice if it changed the name to the name of the file that you imported. This used to happen way back in V9 but didn't work the same in 'X'.