Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Special Reamer

connormac

I have a .500 +.002/-.000 hole 10.5" thru 6061.

Only thing I can think is come from both sides on a horizontal.

So I am looking for a .501" reamer with thru spindle coolant that can ream over 5.25" deep.

I only have 3 parts with 6 holes on each part but a ceramic tube has to be able to slide thru.

quote:

That won't be what my boss wants to hear.

LOL of course not!

They never want to hear the best solution, only the cheapest and fastest.

biggrin.gif

The only concern I would have in-house is having the drill walk when it gets deep into the hole.

18 holes, I would get a quote from a gundriller first and go from there. 10 inches is not that far, I have done that in mold work in a bridgeport, just crank the table up. If I reamed it in a CNC I would manually turn the reamer spindle off as it retracts to clear the chips every so often (don't want to catch a chip and chew up hole and use a good liquid aluminum cutting fluid ( acid brush and spray bottle when reaming, maybe). Coming in from two sides with 2 holes (dead on) (drill/bore) or maybe a carbide drill that won't deflect might be a good idea. Gun drilling might be cheaper than you think and they can be amazing...( if I reamed it for a bushing I would just use a new.500 reamer from one side and make an extension if needed)

Knevalel

Thanks you right I was just thinking middle of tolarence. Thanks for all your input. Will talk to the boss about outside source that op. Square it up here. Send it to them then finishing it out when it comes back and I know it's straight. Will let everyone know if I end up doing it! Thanks to all

Lot of good ideas I would lke to try.

Have you looked at a double margin drill? These do a good job of drill straight holes to size as well. We do some 14" .25 holes in our hinges and they hold .0002 to size. We have to have them sharpen about every 4 to 5 parts since the material we are cutting is 50rc. Granted we have guides, but have done some .125 gun drilled holes 9" deep in 50rc on the Integrex, but it has a 1000 psi.

Might look at 30D Titex drills they now make them in a 4 margin set-up.