Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Any tips for programming?

Greg_J

I'm in the gradual process of moving from on floor programing to full time programming in office.

I have a new computer, dual monitor very nice setup but it feels odd compared to just programming with one monitor. Any tips on what the is the best layout for dual screens?

Does anyone have any other tips when programming this way? Setup sheets is another thing that I've been working on, I'm still looking for the Active Reports pdf from MC.

Is there a way to have different profiles between users for MC?

Thanks,

Greg

I find I get prompts popping up on the wrong side of the area that I'm working, especially when I post.

I put MC on the right maximized and the rest on the left along with Cimco so I can check the posted program. I make the operation manager larger and I also have levels and muti-threading manager open too.

Any tricks that you guys use when programming to ensure that there are no mistakes or crashes?

We are using solid models of our vises and fixtures to help with that. Same with making a good setup sheet that explains position of the fixture the origin all the tools and the min length and offsets.(a work still in progress)

Not really a tip, but the biggest mistake we come across is describing the origin in the wrong place. Sometimes it gets difficult to keep track when you take a part through rough, semi, and finish with 3 or 4 ops for each one. Just something to watch out for.

We also verify all our toolpaths against the finished solid as one last safety check.

So for types of programs that you do all the time do you Gus use macros or import operations, what do you do?

Any ideas on profiles, I have to share the computer with the night shift guy and he likes the setup different then I do?

You can set up different configuration files with a "shared" computer.

Go into Settings/configuration, set up MC how you want it and save the configuration as "greg's configuration". You then only need to select this file from the drop down when you start......if its not the default setting. I guess you'll have to fight over who gets this option.

Remember if you are doing your verify in MC you are verifying the NCI file NOT the G-code. So it won't show dogleg rapids and a few other things which might cause problems if you are not used to spotting potential problem areas.

For proper verification you need software to analyse g-code and machine dynamics, Vericut for instance....

Cheers

Nick

quote:

Mc should be on the left and everything else on the right

That's how I run my splits. My Left monitor is through the digital channel and the right is analog. I try to use my digital screen for 3D programs - MC, ProEngineer, PEPS, etc. - and my right screen for various - Outlook, excel, MC Editor, etc.

I tried using the OP Manager on the right screen but I just don't like it for some reason.

To have seperate startup configs

Copy the desktop icon and rename to "MINE",

on the executable line, add the path and filename of the config file on the end

You can also add a default file that has all your levels/named views/etc. on the end as well, don't forget to make that default file "Read only", so you can't owerwrite this "template", for a better name for it

ie

C;mcamXmastercam.exe C:mcamXconfigsMINE.config C:projectsX2default.mcx

on his icon the difference would be HIS instead of MINE,,,, you are then opening the same default file with your own configs