Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 STL strangeness

kccadcam

I'm seeing this problem in X4 MU3.....

I have an .STL model saved (OP4_REST ROUGH1_375.STL) for Surface High Speed Rest Roughing (compute remaining stock from CAD file)

I also have an "as machined" .STL with a different file name (OP4_1.STL)

Now,, if I go to Xform, STL, both STL files show up even though I only select "OP4_1.STL" to view my part "as machined"

Is there a way to "blank out" the Rest Roughing STL???

Is this possibly a bug in X4???

There is a new option in MU3 for seeing your "As machined" STL files.

Go to File > Merge/Pattern.

Navigate to your the folder with your STL file. Set your File Type to '.STL' files. Now, click once on your file to select it, then go and click on 'Options'. Set the option to import the file as a 'mesh entity'.

This allows you to import your STL model and treat it like a solid. You can shade it, turn the level on/off, and change the color of the STL mesh. Much easier than using Xform > STL.

True, but it is pretty simple to get rid of the Mesh. Right-click on the level and use 'Delete'. Plus I like being able to turn the level with the mesh on and off...

If you want to view it on-the-fly, use the Stock Setup feature. There you can set it to 'File' and pull in your STL model. I like this way because it shows a translucent solid so you can see your geometry underneath... The only pain is switching back to a rectangular stock for Verify...

OK.. got it figured out.. I had the whole Verisurf for X4 add-on installed... and without the purchased access codes the mesh stuff didn't work.

I uninstalled the Verisurf add-on and reinstalled

just the Tools option. Mastercam STL Mesh works fine now.

• 2 months later...

quote:

Are there any setting elsewhere than need to be set?? My options button is greyed out.

I kind of rememebr installing the Verisurf add-on breaking Mastercam mesh.. but thought this had been fixed

I just installed Verisurf for X4 and it "greyed out" the options button for file merge???

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times.... WTF?????

How do you fix it?????

Very cool I didn't know you could merge an stl. Xform stl works but is kind of a pita

Always like finding out about a feature that I didn't know was there & i'm sure that list is seemingly endless in MC. I've shown my fellow programmers at my job lots of little tricks i've learned here that come in handy & wanted to say thanks to all of you.