Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T spindle taper sticking

STEELTHOM62

Don't know the thread, but...

Suggest that the retnetion collet assembly be adjusted. There shoud be a mechanism that gives the retetion know a little Pop - to break the taper during tool change. Is there a lot of Heat transfer into the spindle during this roughing??

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

We've got like 14 of them. We found that if the coolant was running too rich it would cause that on occasion. So our maintenance guy boosted the pressure on the air blast that helps eject the tool.

HTH

Good eve'nin

First thing Which James mentioned was thick coolant or any grime inside taper. Some mach's

have light oil mist with air blast and this meter

valve could get clogged so only air is blasting

during tool change. One other thing, are the tools

or the spindle taper worn?...a tool change arm which is not aligned to pick and place tool holders might cause tool/spindle taper wear.

HTH

TonyG

I had this problem on our Toyoda FH100b - BT50 spindle, only on one tool, a Seco (I think you American guys have Carboloy?) R215.59 80Dia. long edge helical mill. This mill does all the "grunt" work, and was sticking in the spindle at tool change. I set him up in a lathe and carefully polished the small end of the taper with some 600 wet & dry, (don't call me ruff), I had to do this proceedure twice, but now no problems, and no change in it's performance either!

Grant

Hi ,STEELTHOM62 !

I use the Swiss Metaflux 70-81 Lubricating metal spray with a grey grease rich with sulphur from time to time for my Deckel - Maho.

Also good for untirusting and it is temperature resistant from -180 till +1350!

Not very expencive.

All the problem dissapeared.

The theory is a good thing but sometimes there is a simple practice solution cheers.gif

If this has been a problem since day 1 - check that you are using the correct retention knob. There is a possibility that the knob geometry is off. What about other mechanical interference, have the collet fingers bent? Is the mechansim adjusted correctly? Get a QUALIFIED electro/mechanic technician to give her a once over.

Do you have a local independant you could ask?

Our local guy (M&M) fixed our sticky situation.

I am not convinced Cadcam knows anything about PAM. Once;;; While eating chicken at a BBQ he remarked on how good the chicken tasted ,and asked the host How did he get the chicken like this. The host said "Pam". Then he asked

"Does she have a sister"

Mr. Bond,

So happy to have witnessed your split second escape from the clutches of evil; I have heard, as of late, there are undesirables hanging out around those nasty Haas machine tools. – any truth in this?

As Mike suggested,

quote:

the machine should be looked at by the machine tool builder or a qualified service engineer.

As Andrew suggested,

quote:

Get a QUALIFIED electro/mechanic technician to give her a once over.

You know something? Such qualified engineers and mechanical technicians only exist in the minds of those that believe in such fantasies.

Am I alone here? Or do I know of one single person out of twenty plus years that actually pulls the rabbit out of the hat – repeatedly!

Sorry for the rant, I’m just frustrated with the latest & greatest, out of DeVry.

Regards, Jack

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Sorry for the rant, I’m just frustrated with the latest & greatest, out of DeVry.

There's no difference between them and newbie University Grads for the most part. Piece of paper, "I'm the $#!+" attitude and no real world experience.

Fortunately for us, we have highly qualified Service Engineers here in SoCal so we don't have to worry about our machines being down for too long. For our Mori Seikis, usually the parts are in the LA office or the Dallas HQ so we get them the same or next day (including spindles)and the Ellison guys are very good as are the Factory Mori guys. For our Cinci's, we hired an ex Service Eng. so we don't really have to go outside for that too often.

JM2C