Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Now that I've opened my mouth....

L Hanft

OR words to that effect. I admit that I am troubled by the talk of war. Memories flood back, unexpectedly... more powerful than I would like. I have lay bare a bit of my inner self and this act makes me unsure. If I had to change jobs today I would have to face my old dilema.... do I risk saying I am a Vet and that I served in Vietnam. I wonder if saying the same on this forum has damage me. I wonder how many other Combat veterans there are on this forum.... that have kept silent for the same reason.

confused.gif

Hi Larry,

Not having been in combat, I cannot begin to understand how you might feel about the talk of war on the horizon. But I can tell you that from where I sit (free in America) you have nothing to be ashamed of. I value my freedom and I love my country and if it weren't for you and millions who have gone before you I wouldn't be able to sit here and write this reply. Having said that, I want to tell you "Hold your head high and never think that what you did was bad or wrong." You have more courage and character than most in this great country of ours. The only thing I can say about anybody who talks down or bad about our veterans is "Walk a mile in their shoes". Then and only then does anybody have a right to comment on the right or wrong of their actions.

My Great-Grandfather served in WW1,my Grandfather served in WW2, my father served in Korea, and 2 uncles served in Vietnam. They didn't like it but they did there duty. I say "Thank You" to all veterans.

I am also a veteran (USMC, Gulf War era) though I've never seen combat.

2 of my very close friends are Captains in the Marine Corps currently, one Infantry company commander and one CH-46 pilot; the talk of war and cavalier atitude that many of my peers hold toward it bothers me as well.

Those who have no personal connection to the prospective loss of American lives find it very easy to advocate conflict.

As far as your "admitting" your status as a Vietnam veteran; it is because of the struggle and sacrifices you and men like you have made throughout the history of this nation that I am proud to be an American and a veteran of the armed forces. Do not ever be ashamed of this! If someone else has a problem with that, I say F**K THEM.

Semper Fi

C

Larry,

quote:

I wonder if saying the same on this forum has damage me

I can't speak for others, but for me, your comments have done just the opposite. It takes a brave person to expose their inner fears for others to see. You have my respect and I salute you.

Phil

[ 02-07-2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: PhilCott ]

Larry

I too am a Vietnam vet. A lot of S**T happen over there that shouldn't have. I chose not to talk about it much. (my way of dealing with it all) But one thing I will always say to all vets. !BE PROUD! We were dumped on by or government and a few of our fellow (idiot) citizens, but I find most people are like the ones responding her. We ARE appreciated and we did or jobs and we did them well. Stand tall and hold your head high!

Carl

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Some may say my attitude is "cavalier", or that I do not have a "personal connection" to the posssible threat of war. Well, I have family in the military and the thoguht of them not coming hiome to their young families is indeed troubling. But, what I find more toubling is that many are doomed to repeat the mistakes of WWII. In a word ... "Isolationism". Had we gotten involved in the very beginning, untold lives could've been saved. So looking back at that, I make the case for xxxx's ousting.

JM2C

James

While I don't want to hijack this thread, I did want to respond to your post

1) I wasn't referring to you (or anyone else on this forum, actually) with my comment about the cavalier attitude of many toward war. If there has been any discussion of this topic here, by you or anyone else, I've missed it. I am not backing off from what I said, just trying to make sure that no one in this group thinks I'm taking a backhanded slap at them because I'm not; believe me I wouldn't have a problem referring to anyone by name if I had something to say.

2) I believe that we cannot stick our heads in the sand and pretend that we are alone in the world or that anything not happening within 1000 miles of our borders doesn't involve us. That being said, I just want people to THINK about whose lives are on the line before they make idiotic statements at coffee break about how "we" should "just take over the damned country"

Pardon me for straying; as I said, I don't want to derail this thread. Just trying to clear the air

cheers.gif C

PS: snowed about 8" here today; bet you CA guys wish you could have weather like this... NOT

[ 02-07-2003, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Are you really a Vietnam vet?

Yes I am. 1968-70 23.5 months, followed by 22 months in hospital.

Your judgement seems superficial, uninformed. Labels.....are just labels, Jane Fonda wasn't all wrong, her motives and actions were just misplaced/misguided. Most of the Vietnam vets I know don't hate Jane..... the actions by congress to de-escalate the war did far more damage. Grounding medivac choppers, limiting artillery rounds on fire missions... just those 2 actions caused the unnecessary death of many. You have to step back and see the whole picture, not jump on the "what's popular" band wagon.

quote:

You have to step back and see the whole picture, not jump on the "what's popular" band wagon.

Hmmm... You might be right.

Did Colin Powell, Joe Liberman and my cousin Jammie fight in same Vietnam with you? Why cannot they see the "whole picture" as you? May be I should jump on the "what's not popular" band wagon with you, the real Vietnam Vet. Can I do it after my brothers and sisters come back from the war? I don't want to stab them at their back like some one did to you while you were bleeding in Vietnam.

Thank you, my new captain! cheers.gif

BTW, why didn't you run for the office? We need a super smart leader like you. cool.gif

quote:

God bless all of our men and women here and overseas fighting for "our" way of life.

God bless my country! cheers.gif

[ 02-07-2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: David S ]

I'm a Desert Storm vet (US Army) and I salute you, Larry. Be proud of your service for this great country. If anyone has a problem with you being a Vietnam vet, tell them to kiss your red, white and blue xxxx!

Thad

4th Infantry Div - Ft. Carson, CO 1989-1990

3rd Armored Div - Hanau, Germany 1990-1991

Desert Storm - Dec 25, 1990 to May 23, 1991

1st Armored Div - Hanau, Germany 1991-1994

To All- Many who are protesting the war to oust that jerk from Iraq, seem to be saying we are rushing to war. Veterans know better. They do not want war, but they know we have a job that needs to be done. I have an 18 yr. old son who is in the 1st Cav and is being deployed to Iraq. He volunteered last July and has wanted to go since Sept. 11th. We are praying that he and all those men and women of our armed forces return safely.

Veteran 3/60, 9th Inf. Div., 1966-67 Mekong Delta, South Vietnam

Gary Armitstead

Burbank, CA

[ 02-07-2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Die Sinker ]

1965-1967 Viet Nam. There was a lot of protesting then against the war and the protesting was not against the soldiers.

In that case the protesters were correct.

Bad war. However, this is not the same as then.

We must be very sure this time that we know it is the correct thing to do.

Thanks to all of you who have served our nation.I have grown up listening to stories of the sacrifices that people like you have made for the rest of us.Stories of my parents hearing of Pearl Harbor on the radio, of my grandfather kissing my grandmother and heading to enlist, of my grandfathers brother being captured at Anzio by a 16 yr old German boy, and of my brothers treatment upon arriving home in '73.

I now think about the stories I will tell my 2 yr old and 4yr old in years to come abvout their uncle and their 3 cousins serving during this crisis.Perhaps those stories will not be as profound or heroic as the things I have been told, but because there are men and women who have and are now serving this country, I know that they will grow up in a wonderful FREE country .

Thanks to all of you who have made this possible. cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

James

While I don't want to hijack this thread, I did want to respond to your post...

I just wanted everyone to know my position on it and why I hold that position. No offense was taken.

Thanks to all Vets past and present. I enjoy freedom because you paid the ultimate sacrifice. cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

quote:

To All- Many who are protesting the war to oust that jerk from Iraq, seem to be saying we are rushing to war. Veterans know better. They do not want war, but they know we have a job that needs to be done.

I'm a vetran. US Navy, 1984 to 1994. I left as an Engineman 1st Class. I took part in two ops against Lybia in '86, was teaching at Great Lakes during the Gulf War, was in Somalia in the winter of '94, and was on one of the first ships deployed to Haiti in the summer of '94. I think we are rushing to war, and I don't like it much.

This isn't really the most appropriate forum for a political discussion, so I won't go any further into my reasoning. I will say that simply being a vetran does not automaticly mean that I fully support my country's actions. Nor does it necessaraly mean that my views on this subject carry any more weight than anyone else's.