Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

dirty operations

Jammer™

Does anyone else have this happen? Sometimes I will be writing toolpaths and when I go back into my ops manager, some of the toolpaths will be flagged with the red x. I know I haven't messed with any of the toolpaths geometry in any way, so I don't understand why it thinks it needs regenerated. Could this be a ram issue? I am running v9sp1 with 256 ram. (I know it's weak, but it's all I got right now)

Mark, Yes I have locked the operations before. That works, but I was just trying to figure out why it keeps doing it. I have tested it several times by going back and forth to my ops manager and geometry screen without changing anything. I thought it might be a ram issue because I am only running 256 and from the flipping back and forth. Thanks for the reply guys.

Jammer,

Yes. Although not too often. I also have other strange anomolies occasionally. For example I have noticed that if I'm working in milling and then somebody bothers me with a lathe job and I run it at the same time, and post something, then close lathe and go back to mill and try to work with the ops manager in milling ( especially when deleting ops ) she'll give up the ghost or freeze my machine. I'm holding windows 98 responsible. I believe a single application shouldn't be able to crash an entire system. Probably by the time V12 comes out intel with have some kinda hardware level error checking like suns and those types of things will no longer happen.

I have it happen to me also, but only on occasions. I have 512 ram, so i don't think it's your 256 ram issue. Not much help, but i just wanted to let you know that you weren't alone. I'm a newbie at this mastercam thing and I just wanted to tell everyone that this forum is awesome.

I did have this happen to me once, I don't really remember what I was doing but it seems to me I was copying toolpaths and then changing something like the size of the tool on the ones I copied and they would all go bad even the ones I had not done anything to, really frustrating seeing as how I had about 15 toolpaths. I don't really know what it was though, I finally finished the job and have not had it happen again.

I don't really think it was a ram issue I have 1.0g of it, but hey if you want your boss to buy some more ram I'm sure somebody here will say it is.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yeah, sounds like RAM to me too. (I'm all for helping him out too biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif )

Though with Winblows98 you're not going to see any performance gain. Bump up to Win2k Pro or XP Pro and you'll see a jump in performance with the added RAM.

quote:

I'm holding windows 98 responsible.

Undobtedly Windows 98 is responsible for the troubles you are seeing. Before my school upgraded, we were using Windows 98 to run MC8, and would have occasional odd-ball results. The 'fix' is to save the file, exit MasterCAM, re-start MasterCAM, and re-open the file. Occasionally, you'll have to re-start the computer as well.

If you are using Windows 98, I urge you to upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP Pro as soon as you can.

The only times I was having this trouble was between a file I did in 9.1 beta and bring it into 9.0sp1.

Other wise I do not fine this issue.

main boxs:

Box 1

XP pro

1 gig rambus

G4 ti video

2.53 proc.

IDE 7200rpm HD

Box 2

XP pro

1 gig DDR

G4 ti video

2 gig proc

SCSI Raid 5

5 Scsi 10,000rpm HD's

I have experienced it in Win ME. (256mg RAM)

No trouble to re-generate but it just makes you wonder... what did I just do? I don't remember doing anything significant... Will it still be the same? Should I backplot to check? What am I looking for? Is everything alright?

Mastercam is not intended for those with OCD. (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

eek.gif

Jammer...

Does this happen to every file? By that I mean can you make a file that may be clean dirty by just flipping back and forth. If you can then wait for 9.1 and see if it happens there. If some files behave themselve and some don't then there must be an identifiable difference between them. You'll have an easier time to identify where and how this dirtying of the op.s happens.

Good luck...

*Sometimes* when you take another file from another computer and simply go into the parameters from the Operation Manager they will be marked "dirty" because inside the operation are stored file names for your destination NCI and for the reference tool file for the tool assigned. If any of these paths are found invalid (like pointing to a file or directory that doesn't exist) they will be updated to a vaild path - and it changes the operation to dirty.

Do this test: bring in the file, edit the operation, see it get marked dirty. Regen the operation. Now open up the parameters again and close and see if it again get marked dirty.

If it is dirty, then forget what I just said.

If it doesn't, then it may be doing what I've written. Now save the file, recall it, and try it again. It should no longer be getting marked dirty.