Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Prototype Material?

TeccBoxx

It depends if the part need to be functional or just to see what it looks like.

Pattern Pine is cheap but it is not a good for fuctional.

A billet of aluminum that size will cost about $300.

I like aluminun for functionality.

If that is to much go with Hot toll steel. It will cost about 150.00

If your just looking for a "looks like" or proofing prototype, we like to use a polyurathane foam..Trade name is "last-a-foam". It is available in a number of different densities, depending on how much detail or surface finish you might be after. A good source is General Plastics, in Tacoma Washington.. phone 235-473-5000. They sent us some 12"x12"x6" samples for free. The major plus with this stuff is you can cut it as fast as your machine can run!

Most companys have what is called drops.

An alum. bar end, many sizes, from 12'

bars, called drops...I got drops close

to the size you specified fo about $60-70

The thing that makes the alum. cutoff

so expensive is the cutting...From a 12

footer.

You will be able to get close to your

size...you might have to cut one or two

sides....but it still cheep to ask for

a drop.

HTH

Tony G

Unemployed Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

and coolant and chips are like the enemy

under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle.

[ 03-22-2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: CNCme ]

Tazzer,

Butterboard is excellent stuff. Machines very fast and leaves a smooth finish. It only comes in stock sizes, though, so to get the dimensions you need you might have to buy a 12" x 24" x 6" sheet, at around $250. On the plus side, this will give you lots of future stock for proofing other projects.

There are also various weight foams available that will give you a good indication of the finished shape, but they won't provide a smooth surface. Either material is available through Golden West Mfg, at 530-272-1133.

We build prototypes here. I've never used butterboard myself, but the guys here that have been building models for 25 years seem to hate the stuff. Something about the smell when cutting, among other things. If the prototype is only a form study, we'll use the poly-based foam mentioned earlier by cmr. That will be the cheapest and quikckest to cut. Very easily damaged though... If you need it to last a little longer go with the renshape Trevor mentioned. still a breeze to cut, with a density similar to that of wood. If it's a working prototype or has thin areas you might want to go with a hard palstic such as ABS or Acrylc.

We use a foam on very complex parts. One thing to keep in mind, if the actual part is 6AL4V or something similar, you might fly thru the foam and end up fighting the actual part to get speeds/feeds depth/widths dialed in. Yes, I am speaking from a bad experience.

my $.02

Jeremiah

Zoiks! Not MDF! It is indeed a great material for certain things, if you're set up for it, but it is also really abrasive. It will dull cutters in no time at all, and it makes a lot of really nasty, fine dust that gets everywhere.

Sorry, Greg. Not meaning to dis you. It's just that I've used a lot of it, and that's the experience I've had with it.