Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT/ Pet peaves

Tony

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mold100 said:

quote:

I also hate when people look in the machine and at the controller when I know they dont have a clue about whats going on.They think you put the part in press a button and magic happens...

One time when our General Manager was walking customers thru our shop, as they passed my machine I heard him say, "These are our CNCs. They run automatically." I wanted to slap him right in front of the customer. biggrin.gif

Thad

[ 04-17-2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: thad ]

Pet Peeve,

OPerator: I cut back the feed rate.

Me: Why

Operator: Vice Moved

Me: Youve got 2 tiny step clamps with no leverage holding the vice.

Operator: ya think I ought to use bigger clamps?

Me: No, and see if you can find dome duller inserts too. mad.gif

Its been a long week eek.gif

[ 04-18-2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

I had to repair a fixture using Dyna-mold. Took most of the day remachining. As soon as I got it finished, I gave it to the operator who screwed it up in the first place by trying to edit sub's. He inserted all of the locating pins. On the last one, he hammered it clear thru to the vacuum channel. I had to put it back on another machine, remix Dyna-mold, dig out the pin, etc.... mad.gif

everything has been said, but this happened today.how come you only programed two holes to be milled. did you bring the print up with you, no i forgot. way to go, let's go down stairs and look at it. i said do you see the print where it says there's only two holes?????????????????????????

happy easter

never a dull moment

rolleyes.gif motty rolleyes.gif

When I see the office staff with state of the art-top of the line computers. All they use them for is email and checking the weather. Here I am with 5-year-old piece of junk that needs some major updating and I actually need some good hardware to do my job.

That is definitely annoying; I don't much care about credit (as long as I get paid with cash) but I don't like somebody else claiming my victories as their own.

Another one of mine is people who can't say "Surface Feet" for some reason so they always say "RPM" and therefore can't answer you when you use the correct term:

Operator: I'm getting some vibration in the smallest bore on this part

Me: What is the surface footage for that tool?

Operator: Its running 400 RPM (translation: SFM)

Me: What kind of RPM is the machine turning in that bore?

Operator: Its running 400 RPM

Me: That seems kind of low (grabbing my calculator); what's the diameter?

Operator: 1 inch plus .0005

Me: (after calculating) I would think the machine would be turning about 3,500 in there, not 400

Operator: I don't know, the program says 400 RPM

Me: ****BOOM**** (head explosion)

How is it that people run these machines all day every day and don't understand them at least a little?

Here's yet another along the line of not understanding the machine:

At my last place of employment we had many legitimate CNC machinists (guys who had all of their own tools, could fixture parts on their own if required, guys who could intelligently edit programs) so I got used to the fact that if a program had a (simple) problem it would be diagnosed and fixed without major damage to the machine tool and several hours of head scratching. Here we work under a different (and less expensive, I'm sure) philosophy and employ people who are more of a machine operator than a machininst. This is fine, but I'm still amazed sometimes at the fact that some of our people have NO CLUE as to what the program is going to do; for example:

One of our more "experienced" operators (almost 10 YEARS) had a crash (in single-block, no less) where the machine went for the table, smacked a fixture with the collet nut of the collet chuck thus destroying the fixture, collet chuck, and the part. When I went out to investigate I found that the programmer had missed a decimal place on the "R" height in the G81 cycle (R.100 vs. R1.00, D'oh eek.gif ) which was obviously our fault but when I asked the operator what they thought the machine was going to do when it read that line they said "I don't know what that line means, I'm not a programmer"

<< THUD >> As I fall on the floor

Almost 10 FRIGGIN YEARS IN FRONT OF A MACHINE AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT G81 IS?!?!?!?

How is that possible?

C

[ 04-21-2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

I know what you mean, Chris.

We've had the same operators on the same machine for 6 years and I wish I had a dollar for everytime this happened...

Operator:"I got an alarm"

Me:"What alarm number?"

Op:"I don't know"

Me:"Go out and look!!"

Op:"Alarm #74, but I don't see any problem with the program line"

Me:"That is a cutter comp. alarm"

Op:"But there's no CC in that line"

Me:"How many times do I have to tell you that the controller looks 2 lines ahead! Is your cutter comp. entered correctly?"

Op:"Oh, maybe not"

Then I hear an imaginary pop in my head that sounds alot like a beer can opening. Oh...that's better.

ScottyB.

That's a 2 for 1

1) There are about 1,000 alarms in the machine people; you don't need to bring me out to the machine to diagnose a problem when the alarm says "Chuck Open", WTF?

2) When you gouge the snot out of a part because you didn't put a comp value in the offset page, don't claim a "program problem" when you go to QC

C

On the first day of a job that fortunately I no longer have, my boss said "We want you to get started right away on this hot new trick part with these 4" deep pockets with .100 thick walls and precision bored in-line bearing holes that are at an angle so we need it ran on a 4 axis...OH, and they were due yesterday!!! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.giftongue.gif

Cg wrote:

quote:

how about when the operators come in with a broken endmill and say this was the last one..

You forgot the part where it was the fifth to last cutter and they ran it five times. And it broke the cutter in the same spot. Five times. And they ran it again and again. Five Times.

And then they come in.... biggrin.gif

Bryan smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Our cafine/nicotine/ego/fueled sales guy telling the VP how he should run personell matters, tell me how we should run jobs (particularly the ones that dont fit in the machine) tell the quality manager how he should make sure the parts are perfect (oh but can we skip final inspection I want to suprise the customer by being earlier than we said ... duh !)

I feel much better now ! tongue.gif

I did the bolt cutter routine

Many years ago

"And I was promptly written up"

But it sure felt good! biggrin.gif

Well the boss just left so now I can.

As long as you beat him in and stay

later then him Your "O.K." rolleyes.gif

[ 05-16-2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Tony ]

Rekd,

If the vise is wet and dirty then the operator is not currently abusing it - it all comes down to a grain of salt (the abuse is totally dependant on the opertors ability to flagrantly throw it in our faces).

Geradi's are the only release for sanity gained in an otherwise abusive and pathetic endevour - I will clean the vise with a smile and consider it a small blessing that I choose to stop the insanity and abuse. biggrin.gif

Regards, Jack