Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

IPM orIPR

Jayson Kramer

When I first started programming in 1979, we used IPR for everything. It makes it easy to change the RPM% Override dial and not overload the tool. When I went to work for Anilam and realized that their retrofit control had no feedback from the spindle, I thought it was really strange. Had to use IPM. After writing postprocessors for 25 years, It seems like everyone uses IPM. In that time, I've probably only written 5 mill posts that use IPR.

But if it were my shop I would use IPR. Because it is all about chip load, isn't it?

Mike Mattera

Shops develop standards and it's really had to change them you have a file cabinet fill of "historical" programs.

I'll give you a weird one...

The first shop I programmed in, we programmed the Mills in Absolute and the Lathes in Incremental. I dont know who came up with that rule, but it was the "standard" in the shop and there was NO changing it.

I loved it when an operator would come into the programming dept and say "every time I make a part, it gets .001" smaller". And we would ask "did you change the program?". Sure enough he took off .001, but didn't add it somewhere else. and every time he made a if got smaller.

Mike Mattera

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

From what I hear, you're going to be swimming upstream there with regard to how they do things, but I digress... :D:p

IIRC, only 1-2 shops I've ever been in program this way on endmills. I've been a noticeable number of shops that program their drilling cycles in IPR. I've always liked tapping in IPR that way I don't have to break out my calculator just to change a speed on a stinking tap.

i could never figure out why mills are typically IPM. I have never got an answer besides "Thats how mills are programmed". I think it only makes sense if thats how you learned, otherwise it doesnt make sense. Usually we are trying to eliminate extra calculations. Has anyone ever seen manufacturers recommended feed and speeds expressed as IPM?

If HRT is who I think it is, you may want to do just the opposite...

I'm just sayin..:p

It is exactly who you think Zoober sense we are close we need to do lunch. you do eat right. lol

It is HRT Woodward is the company.

Now I always do IPM it is just three programmer that came from are other location . all the legacy stuff is done in IPM. Those three want go this way of IPR. I was not told I have to and I always relate to lathes not mills.

ipr really no longer is an accurate representation of "chip load" per say due to the great deal of radial thinning. Therefore the main advantage of ipr is longer really there.
I fully agree.

Thank folks I have been at least a 100 shops and none them program there mills in IPR.

Therefore the main advantage of ipr is longer really there.

I've had Varco send me some sample files of thier parts and they program in IPR.

They use lots of big insert mills (4" dia by 12" LOC for example) and maintaining a constant chipload is important.

One nice thing about IPR on millis is the feed rate responds directly to spindle override input

maintaining the programmed feet per tooth as the spindle speeds up or down.

Are they just driving the big tools with "standard" stepovers? Like 40-60%?

They use a lot of Stellram cutters using notched inserts taking very heavy cuts,

all strictly old school style.

The Ø4" x 12" LOC cutter in mentioned previously was a flank cutter.

They use using in to make a pass along the draft wall of a forging.

The axis cut varies fron 1" to 1.5" at the bottom to 0 at the top.

IPR programming is a good way to handle a cut like this because the

chip load remains constant if the operator dials down the rpm due to a heavy stock conitions

i could never figure out why mills are typically IPM. I have never got an answer besides "Thats how mills are programmed". I think it only makes sense if thats how you learned, otherwise it doesnt make sense. Usually we are trying to eliminate extra calculations. Has anyone ever seen manufacturers recommended feed and speeds expressed as IPM?

Have you looked in some of the SGS catalogs?