Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sectional Views in MC

Guyinthedesert

I've been drawing up a model for a valve body with a gazillion intersecting holes. Is there a way in Mastercam to view cross sections of the part so I can verify drill depths and intersections? I usually import the model into SW, their section view function works great. I don't see why MC wouldn't have something similar, but if it's there, I can't find it. (something like the scissor function in verify, only in the main graphics )

Get yourself 'normal' to the compound angle and cut the part away with extrude or sweep. I like this in both SW and MASTERCAM because you have edges you can analyze 'ore measure to'. When your done suppress it or delete it.

Get yourself 'normal' to the compound angle and cut the part away with extrude or sweep. I like this in both SW and MASTERCAM because you have edges you can analyze 'ore measure to'. When your done suppress it or delete it.

I've done that. However, on this parts there are over 100 intersections. It would take way too much time to make a cut for each one. That's what's so nice about SW is that I can just scroll through the part in any plane or angle in a few seconds.

I also tried Solid layout, way too imparactical for what I'm trying to do.

Okay you want the easy button method well that is a horse of a different color. You were asking this:

Is there a way in Mastercam to view cross sections of the part so I can verify drill depths and intersections?

So I answered that question.

To answer the do it like Solidworks does? The answer will be nope it is a CAM software with CAD capabilities. Not a CAD software with CAM capabilities added to it by other software companies.

Having said that have to tried the analyze Distance with Auto cursor?

HTH

in the earler version before X for sure you used to ba able to take a surface model and slice it in real time. I know this gone now. I thought was nice pick an axis and a distance value and click away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wHAT i DO IS TO CONVERT SOLID TO SURFACES ,HIDE ALL OUTER SURFACES .

Now you `ll see without problems all your crossing holes.

HTH

• 3 years later...

That sounds like a nightmare of a manifild. I alway do this kind of thing with layers and turn off what I don't want to see. I've never used a CAM software that had a kick xxxx CAD side but I gotta say CAD in Mcam is getting there the more I use it. I always do solids on a layer, geo on a layer, containments on layers, geo for intersecting holes on layer and so on. It's the norm for me to have 3x to 5x more layers than ops. The easier it is to see the less worry that it's correct and it's easier to see backplot on any path.

Figure our your style and go with it!

in the earler version before X for sure you used to ba able to take a surface model and slice it in real time. I know this gone now. I thought was nice pick an axis and a distance value and click away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wHAT i DO IS TO CONVERT SOLID TO SURFACES ,HIDE ALL OUTER SURFACES .

Now you `ll see without problems all your crossing holes.

HTH

as a matter of fact I'm working on a manifold now, and I do the same.i copy my solid to another level ,then convert to surfaces, and delete

the face that's keeping me from seeing all the cross holes. for me this works the best.