Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC Vises

88Matt

Looking to order some new vises for our vmc's. Right know I'm looking at the Kurt HDM690 or Chick COL1520.

Is anyone using either of these vises now? Pros/cons?

Have a different vise and really like it? Why?

Thanks for your input,

Matt

• Like 1
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If you do a lot of heavy cutting in steels, Kurt is the way to go. If you do light milling or cut only aluminum, then Chick vises are great.

JM2C

We have several of the Kurt vises. Nothing special about them. We have two that are sprung because the gorilla that uses them

insists on using a hammer to tighten the handle. Those two are the only ones I let him use now.

He been using too many old Bridgeport vices.

You should be able to regrind the back post on that vice square again.

He been using too many old Bridgeport vices.You should be able to regrind the back post on that vice square again.

Yup, but the bone head will just f them up again. One of those that know all but.....

So that is his punishment. When he complains it is off I tell him to fix it and stop abusing the tools then I will get another. B)

I have used Kurt, Teco, and Chic. I just got 8 Lang Technovation vices in the 210mm with the raster plates. The best by far that I have ever used. Tons of versitility. I do a lot of aluminum work. The stamping technology that they use is just brillant. I also bought the spigots seperate to mount to fixtures. The zero point mounting plates are great because you can mount anything that you want to them by using their spigots.

I have been in the shop environment for over 25 years....Supervisor, shop manager, lead programmer, lead designer, general manger, in over 15 different shops. Kurt vices used on most shops. I am now at a different shop where I am completely getting them into the now as far as tooling programming and organization. I ordered 6 new One-Loc Chick vise. These are amazing vices. Designed by machinist and operators. They are ten times what the old kurt vise are today. Check them out. They will be making 8" vises soon I was told. I run all day with Hard steels and Titanium roughing so they are tough. No more chips in the lead screw like all Kurt vices and the solid jaw is ten time stronger the the Kurts. It has a very unique clamping design and can move to any position fast. The best vice for job shops and shops who set up different parts all the time..

http://www.chickworkholding.com/4dcgi/WebTemplate?PATH=1000002&&WTMP=1&&PDID=782&&31548

^^ that looks like a really nice vise.

The only thing that has turned me off of chick vises, is the fact that they don't have the "ears" for bolting down to my table like the traditional Kurt vise has.

Maybe there is an add-on that they sell to do this?

How much is that vise?

^^ that looks like a really nice vise.

The only thing that has turned me off of chick vises, is the fact that they don't have the "ears" for bolting down to my table like the traditional Kurt vise has.

Maybe there is an add-on that they sell to do this?

How much is that vise?

The "ears" from the Kurt vices I hate. They are almost always in the way when the bolt head in high. They also get drilled and milled alot. That is one of the features I like best on the Chick. You can put vices and fixtures close together. They hold just hold down just as good as the "ears' on the Kurts.. . They come with these nice hardened steel clamps.. that use 1/2 or 5/8 SHCS for flush mount. They have only been a about a year and a half. So most people have no idea how they compare to there old Kurts. We got ours for $825 with step jaws.

We have 3 HDM 690's, I really like them. Seem very solid and accurate. They have the dowel pin holes in the bottom for locating on a subplate with a 2x2 pattern however the bolt position of the ears does not match that same pattern which sucks since tie downs still need to be used. Otherwsie they are a great vise and would happily buy more if needed.

Thanks everybody for your input.

I run all day with Hard steels and Titanium roughing so they are tough. No more chips in the lead screw like all Kurt vices and the solid jaw is ten time stronger the the Kurts. It has a very unique clamping design and can move to any position fast. The best vice for job shops and shops who set up different parts all the time..

This is exactly why I am looking at them.

They will be making 8" vises soon I was told.

I talked to Mike Olson at Chick and he said they were not close to coming out with anyother one lok vises right now. They are sticking with the 1520 until they have more data. I was really wanting a set of 8" one-loks for our large Monarch.

That One Lok vise looks pretty bitchin. We don't use vises much, so it's never really interested me, but after seeing how easy it is to change jaws, I think I might be able to find some uses for it.

Does anybody know how much the One Lok vise weighs?

That One Lok vise looks pretty bitchin. We don't use vises much, so it's never really interested me, but after seeing how easy it is to change jaws, I think I might be able to find some uses for it.

Does anybody know how much the One Lok vise weighs?

They're a bit heavy, but they really rock.

Well worth the investment

PEACE :D

I inquired on their website about pricing on the One-Lok the other day, and a Chick rep was in the area yesterday and paid us a visit.

He demo'd it for me, he said they are made out of cast iron,casted in Pittsburgh.

This vise is bad azz!

Although they are $848, we will be getting 2 of them for my machine very soon.

Since 80% of my work consists of soft jaws, this will be a huge time saver.

Edit:

He said there is a 4 week delivery at the moment.

I have been in the shop environment for over 25 years....Supervisor, shop manager, lead programmer, lead designer, general manger, in over 15 different shops. Kurt vices used on most shops. I am now at a different shop where I am completely getting them into the now as far as tooling programming and organization. I ordered 6 new One-Loc Chick vise. These are amazing vices. Designed by machinist and operators. They are ten times what the old kurt vise are today. Check them out. They will be making 8" vises soon I was told. I run all day with Hard steels and Titanium roughing so they are tough. No more chips in the lead screw like all Kurt vices and the solid jaw is ten time stronger the the Kurts. It has a very unique clamping design and can move to any position fast. The best vice for job shops and shops who set up different parts all the time..

/quote]

It makes me happy that you like the one-loc, I did the prototyping( most of programming and machining) of it when I worked at Chick. I used mastercam x and x2 for all the programming of it! Paul, Rex (the owners) and Jeff( engineer) were great team to work for. One thing about Chick if you have trouble with there products and you can talk to Paul and get it worked out, not just some salesperson. Last thing I can say it was the most fun I had in 35 years of being in the machine trade doing the One-Loc! The company I work for now and before I went Chick, Cygnusm was fonded by Rex and his bother so they been in this trade for over 45 years.

• 2 months later...

[it makes me happy that you like the one-loc, I did the prototyping( most of programming and machining) of it when I worked at Chick. I used mastercam x and x2 for all the programming of it! Paul, Rex (the owners) and Jeff( engineer) were great team to work for. One thing about Chick if you have trouble with there products and you can talk to Paul and get it worked out, not just some salesperson. Last thing I can say it was the most fun I had in 35 years of being in the machine trade doing the One-Loc! The company I work for now and before I went Chick, Cygnusm was fonded by Rex and his bother so they been in this trade for over 45 years.

Great job on your work with the Chick vise sollman!!! I let them know I wish they made a 8" One-Lok...

Thanks