Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

flowine direction on surfaces

Thee Rickster ™

3 of then have the direction one way and the other 5 are opposite.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and yet you can use rib cut

All of Mastercam's flowline toolpaths include a Rib cut option that lets you create a single cutting pass down the middle of the selected drive surfaces. This can be very useful for part features like ribs or flanges:

Mastercam automatically disables other flowline parameters that do not apply when creating a single pass, such as stepover and the cut control distance.

Use the Resolution field to control how many "slices" Mastercam makes perpendicular to the cutting direction as it calculates the toolpath.

sometimes rib cut is good enough to solve your problems

Rickster,

Use Surface Finish Blend!!!

Blend is much better than flowline at doing multiple surfaces. You need to create two chains of geometry. One on each edge of the surfaces you want to cut. These chains create the "flow" direction for the toolpath.

Try it, you will like it.

Can you do a "Save Some" and save just those 8 surfaces and send me the MCX-5 file? I'll do a couple example toolpaths (to show the difference between the 'across' and 'along' settings, and send it back to you...

Rickster,

Use Surface Finish Blend!!!

Blend is much better than flowline at doing multiple surfaces. You need to create two chains of geometry. One on each edge of the surfaces you want to cut. These chains create the "flow" direction for the toolpath.

Try it, you will like it.

Can you do a "Save Some" and save just those 8 surfaces and send me the MCX-5 file? I'll do a couple example toolpaths (to show the difference between the 'across' and 'along' settings, and send it back to you...

What about a 5-axis scenario? Often use the morph toolpath here, but it gets very frustrating. In my mind all i want to do is to use a command like surface normal to flip the flow of the surface.

Colin I'll post a pic in about 1/2 hour on the surfaces that i used the flowline on.

Now does this 'surface finish blend' allow and endmill travel up and down a 1deg

drafted surface and stop at the bottom like the flowline, and let you a bunch of different

surface at the same time?

Jay, do i have to create a surface finish blend for each surface?

It will cut any surface it see's that lay between the curves. You can get quite inventive using this path. Just keep the blend chains going in the same direction. they dont have to be parallel. I free hand them in above the model exactly where I want the tool to go

Blend is great as stated, but not very much so on steep surfaces.

To answer your original question, I'm "almost" sure the direction is tied to the way the original surface was created. What you're looking at now is an end product, most likely a combination of trimmed surfaces and there is not much (almost nothing) you can do to control cut direction.

+1 to blend (but not on steep surfaces)

I'm intrigued by what Alex suggested ;)

Mark @ ppg,

Festus nailed it, MoldPlus(5axis tool kit) like Scarfcam and Symatron, allows you to do it easily.

These are 1 deg(89 deg for you metric folk) vertical (draft)surfaces.

Thanks Festus, its a big time saver using mold plus.

other wise you just have to create a few extra flow line paths to

get it done.

Colin, i would like to see the surface finish blend in action, if you still

want to stab the cat.

cheers

Rick