Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X6 failure in 2D dynamic HST

left coast lefty

I glitched an expensive copper piece yesterday using X6. I downloaded it Monday and quickly liked the much faster Verify. Ran 2 programs OK, then the Toolpath and verify looked good, but it overcut in at least 3 places.

Sorry if this was touched on in another thread.

this is on a Toshiba laptop with Win 7, 64 bit. i7 processor

2D HST SCREWUP.MCX-6

It bumped into the outer pocket slightly (.06 inch), then into one of the bosses, then again into the outer pocket at which point the tool broke, so I'm not sure how far it was going to go. I tried to check the code, but I have no evidence that anything is wrong with the machine. Also, the same program ran fine in X5 today.

Gcode

does that mean the conversion tool for the post update has a bug that needs fixin?

If you post the program with X5 & X6 then do a file compare you will see the differences, help ya narrow it down...

Kieth where in mastercam would you find this file compare tool?

Any 3d surface path would be impossible to compare

I dont think i can take a chance on scraping a whole mold base because of this.

Gcode

does tat mean the conversion tool for the post update has a bug that needs fixin?

Kieth where in mastercam would you find this file compare tool?

Any 3d surface path would be impossible to compare

no... sometimes when you attach a new post to the control def.. the control def reverts to default arc settings .... as in R's instead of IJK's

Sorta sounds like your machine is just under/over shooting corners. It's pretty rare to see interpolation moves that don't match the backplot.

Are your toolpath filter settings different between your X5 file and your X6 file? This will display basically the same in backplot, but the NC control may read through one set of code faster or slower, causing a gouge?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Bottom line is the same program that failed in X6 worked in X5. I did not change a thing. I would think that rules out machine error. I checked the Control Def. and it is the same.

Have you tried comparing the two different posted programs in the free Cimco that's included with Mastercam? Just do "File Compare".

Yeah it finds every single little difference, which can be overwhelming. I just feel like Lefty's X6 program probably posted differently due to different machine/control def settings, or different toolpath filter settings, causing the machine to react differently to a toolpath that should be the same.

In all my years of using Mastercam, I've never had the post output interpolation moves that don't match the backplot, other than issues with using R instead of IJK.

I glitched an expensive copper piece yesterday using X6. I downloaded it Monday and quickly liked the much faster Verify. Ran 2 programs OK, then the Toolpath and verify looked good, but it overcut in at least 3 places.

Sorry if this was touched on in another thread.

this is on a Toshiba laptop with Win 7, 64 bit. i7 processor

Can you shaw , where exactly you have this problems ?

To me looks like you can have just cutter deflection.

Many thanks to all who chimed in. I have done a file compare, and the code is very different. I cannot find any differences in the Control def, there are no "R's" or anything that looks suspicious. If something changed it must be pretty obscure, because I updated to X6 as instructed. Are there any specific areas in the Control def (or Machine def) that are known to have issues when updated?