Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Old bugs back again. Thanks alot CNC!

peon

Joan is having a up to the minute field day with this topic. For those of you that keep whining about the bug... Why, oh why do you keep paying maintenance on it ? How many times can you get bitch slapped before you turn away? Are you married to this stuff and afraid of the alimony?

Good news is , I just tried a pint of Rasputin Imperial, fricken' awesome.

I had similar "invalid arc" alarms in X4 at my old employer (a major defense contractor with lots of computer security)at lease 3 or 4 a day, and you knew that the system would lock up next! , However when I started

at a new employer last year using the same level of X4 the problems went away completely, another programmer that I started with had the same experience! Maybe the problem is a compatibility issue with certain security software packages?!

Just a thought.

Peon, send that in with you Optirough Destruction Picture.

I installed X6 at home last night and will install it at work with in a week

cuz im busy.

Opti rough is one I use 90% of the time and if I cant use it or

open up an X5 Mu1 file and edit it, post i, send to cnc,

with out a crash then X6 is Dead in the water for

Me.

Worth the shot, because I am sure all my X5 issues will turn up

in X6 and I will bomb bard Qc with them.

Cheers

Rick

When we slow down a bit, I'll compile all the bugs I've encountered including screenshots and send them in. Right now I'm buried with our best man on medical leave. I'm only doing this once. I've sent in enough files over the years, including that optirough destruction since the inception of that toolpath. I don't have the time to send files in all the time. The software should be rock solid before I install it.

Neuro, I've seen that on several occasions in X5MU1. That's why I banned myself from using Optirough until X6 with the better bullnose support. We would only use Optirough on trodes. I think it's usually caused by shallow surfaces near a flat floor. I had to raise my depth limit by .023" to prevent the damage and get a nice toolpath and follow up with a horizontal path to semi the flats. .023" = the next higher flat + the .010" stock to leave on floors. My part has a curved parting line (shallow surfaces) between Z0.0" and Z.023". I shouldn't have to crunch this damn toolpath more than once to get it to work!

Jim, I'll send you the z2g now. I condensed the file and reproduced the issue along with a toolpath that doesn't cause any destruction.

Peon,

I just noticed in your signature that you are overclocking your CPU. (MCX5 Mill Level 3, Windows 7 Professional, Intel Core i7 [email protected] overclocked to 3.68GHZ, 12.00 GB Ram, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 video.)

I have done this with my computer in the past. I ran my i7 @ 4.0GHZ on air and stable. I ran all the stress tests and came thru with flying colors, but was always having troubles with bsod's and problems with mastercam and solidworks in general.(software bugs,etc,etc) Just a suggestion maybe that is what your seeing. Just my two cents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking

Stability and functional correctnessSee also: Stress testing#hardware

As an overclocked component operates outside of the manufacturer's recommended operating conditions, it may function incorrectly, leading to system instability. Another risk is silent data corruption by undetected errors. Such failures might never be correctly diagnosed and may instead be incorrectly attributed to software bugs in applications, device drivers, or the operating system. Overclocked use may permanently damage components enough to cause them to misbehave (even under normal operating conditions) without becoming totally unusable.

In general, overclockers claim that testing can ensure that an overclocked system is stable and functioning correctly. Although software tools are available for testing hardware stability, it is generally impossible for any private individual to thoroughly test the functionality of a processor.[8] Achieving good fault coverage requires immense engineering effort; even with all of the resources dedicated to validation by manufacturers, faulty components and even design faults are not always detected.

A particular "stress test" can verify only the functionality of the specific instruction sequence used in combination with the data and may not detect faults in those operations. For example, an arithmetic operation may produce the correct result but incorrect flags; if the flags are not checked, the error will go undetected.

To further complicate matters, in process technologies such as silicon on insulator (SOI), devices display hysteresis—a circuit's performance is affected by the events of the past, so without carefully targeted tests it is possible for a particular sequence of state changes to work at overclocked rates in one situation but not another even if the voltage and temperature are the same. Often, an overclocked system which passes stress tests experiences instabilities in other programs.[9]

In overclocking circles, "stress tests" or "torture tests" are used to check for correct operation of a component. These workloads are selected as they put a very high load on the component of interest (e.g. a graphically-intensive application for testing video cards, or different math-intensive applications for testing general CPUs). Popular stress tests include Prime95, Everest, Superpi, OCCT, IntelBurnTest/Linpack/LinX, SiSoftware Sandra, BOINC, Intel Thermal Analysis Tool and Memtest86. The hope is that any functional-correctness issues with the overclocked component will show up during these tests, and if no errors are detected during the test, the component is then deemed "stable". Since fault coverage is important in stability testing, the tests are often run for long periods of time, hours or even days. An overclocked computer is sometimes described using the number of hours and the stability program used, such as "prime 12 hours stable".

• Like 2

i see transform by toolplane still does not update the work offset = CRASH!

i went back to doing it the old way, op for each index

dont even get me started on X style coolant

CNC needs to pick 1, old style or new X style but pick 1

if you are going to offer X style coolant is it too much to ask too make sure it works (the new coolant on/off in ops mgr) :realmad:

get the current features working before the the new stuff/eye candy

nuff said

quote]When we slow down a bit, I'll compile all the bugs I've encountered including screenshots and send them in

For the record: Looking in the bug log I noticed that you have 5 bugs logged and that 4 of them are fixed

I know that when doing a hot job and things arent going well that taking time to document your problem may not be possible. Without feedback about current problems, how do you expect them to get fixed if CNC doesn't know about them? Thats like my girlfriend expecting me to know whats wrong just because she isn't happy

I dont know of any bugs in X6 opti-rough, I've cut many parts and have had nothing but good results. This doesn't mean that your not having problems with your part geometry but you have to send it to QC. There are so many combinations of geometry, tools, and tolerances that problems will come up.

If you'd like, I can take a look at your file and see whats going on. I could even check it in X7 if your nice to Slix.

• Like 1

Which four are fixed?! Every item I listed I've had grief with X6! One other thing Mark, you apparently didn't read my post. See my above quote "I've sent in enough files over the years, including that optirough destruction since the inception of that toolpath. I don't have the time to send files in all the time. The software should be rock solid before I install it."

• Like 1

I set my processor to the default settings (no longer overclocked) and created a new Optirough toolpath emulating the settings in the file I sent Jim Evans with the same bad result. I will leave it at default for awhile and see what happens.

How've ya been Tony?! Yeah, when 30 employees turn through a shop with a staff of 10 in 4 years, something is wrong. :lol:

good! that place was a joke :thumbup:

2d HST peel mill is also broken in X6. If you use WCS the peel mill toolpath goes over the lines you chained, it only work on top view!This actually forces me back using X5MU1..

this is good to know, i have not stumbled on that one yet