Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Your shops smoking policy?

Incognito

Actually not in Canada, just my opinion. If a guy spends 2 hours of the day smoking then the non smokers should get to go home 2 hours early with pay.

Unfortunately, every business owner in California finds out pretty quickly: There is a massive divide between common sense, and labor laws. :thumbdown:

Yeah you shouldn't have to. But when a one guy spends about 2 hrs a day on the can and everyone else starts complaining, what should you do?

Mike

I'll tell you what you can do, fire his lazy xxxx and hire someone that actually gives a crap about their job. I smoke myself, but I would never spend 2 hours in a day catching up on my fix. That's what break time is for.

• Like 1

Smoking hasn't been allowed inside the workplace here for years. The place I work for took it one step further and banned smoking on the property at all. Down to the sidewalk they go. They are not even supposed to light up in their car in the parking lot, and this applies to any sub trades working on the properly also.

Is that even legal?

Not allowing them to smoke in their cars I mean.

the funny part of this is that,, these places that have uber restrictive smoking policies,, do any of them have a oil/mist/smoke collection system attached to any of their machines?? because im pretty sure that the stuff you breath in all day from machining metal is no better then smoking a cig??

because most of the people who dont smoke, if they even get a hint of cigarette smoke its the end of the world,, but then the same person standing running thier machine thats pouring smoke and mist out of it couldnt care less??

how bout it??

When I was a smoker, we could smoke at the machine in the workshop, the only rule was no butts in the swarf tray (cause it makes the coolant stink) and don't start any fires. I used to stand in front of a machine on a long cut and roll up my days worth...

Anyway, we had a guy in the shop who complained and had the policy changed to outlaw smoking except on special breaks... he became a very unpopular person, but he was a tool anyway so it didn't really make a diference...

Frankly, now that I've grown up, and quit, I'm glad smoking inside is not on... or else I would still be doing it

Where I live, its illegal to smoke in any public indoor space such as cafes, bars, clubs, shops anywhere, except that there are special ventillated places built in many clubs where smokers can go. Its also been make illegal to smoke in a car if there are any minors in the vehicle at the time... I guess this is world trend...

the funny part of this is that,, these places that have uber restrictive smoking policies,, do any of them have a oil/mist/smoke collection system attached to any of their machines?? because im pretty sure that the stuff you breath in all day from machining metal is no better then smoking a cig??

because most of the people who dont smoke, if they even get a hint of cigarette smoke its the end of the world,, but then the same person standing running thier machine thats pouring smoke and mist out of it couldnt care less??

how bout it??

The air quality in machine shops is probably not the best and should be ventilated properly. That being said why should I add cigarrete smoke on top of that.

The air quality in machine shops is probably not the best and should be ventilated properly. That being said why should I add cigarrete smoke on top of that.

not saying you should, i have respect for non smokers, don't think you should be able to smoke at your machine, your getting paid to run a machine not smoke..

just stating that a few places that i or somebody i know worked at wouldn't let you smoke inside/outside or sometimes in your car, but then you walk in the shop and its like being in the circle from that 70's show

The guy I work with smokes and chews. He has to smoke outside but that isn't so much the part that bothers me. This guy smells like he doesn't wipe his a$$ properly and then you add the smell of smoke on top of that. There are some morning I'm surprised I don't gag. When I first came to this shop I was driving home and wondering what that horrible smell was, turns out it was me. I came in on my first Friday off and steam cleaned all of the chairs to get that smell of him out of them.

Then we had a fight over his chew. He would spit in every trashcan and metal bin available and in the process the spit would get all over the machines, toolboxes and on the floor. Our janitors were about ready to boycott emptying the trash cans because they were just too nasty. Well, he has to spit into spittoons now and police his own stuff. The machines are cleaner, the janitors are happier and except for him leaving his spittoons everywhere, everything seems much more sanitary.

This guy smells like he doesn't wipe his a$$ properly and then you add the smell of smoke on top of that. There are some morning I'm surprised I don't gag. When I first came to this shop I was driving home and wondering what that horrible smell was, turns out it was me. I came in on my first Friday off and steam cleaned all of the chairs to get that smell of him out of them.

All too common in this trade. And people wonder why machinists are looked down upon.

Mike

The guy I work with smokes and chews. He has to smoke outside but that isn't so much the part that bothers me. This guy smells like he doesn't wipe his a$$ properly and then you add the smell of smoke on top of that. There are some morning I'm surprised I don't gag. When I first came to this shop I was driving home and wondering what that horrible smell was, turns out it was me. I came in on my first Friday off and steam cleaned all of the chairs to get that smell of him out of them.

Then we had a fight over his chew. He would spit in every trashcan and metal bin available and in the process the spit would get all over the machines, toolboxes and on the floor. Our janitors were about ready to boycott emptying the trash cans because they were just too nasty. Well, he has to spit into spittoons now and police his own stuff. The machines are cleaner, the janitors are happier and except for him leaving his spittoons everywhere, everything seems much more sanitary.

That sounds disgusting. Honestly, why do you allow him to even work anywhere near people ? Why don't you build him a little shack out in the parking lot and segregate him away from everyone, that way the majority of the other employees are happier, and not just the janitors.

Nasty.....

Funny thing... I've worked at a few places depending on who you're working for and sometimes "what" you are actually smoking, it tends to be pretty lax. One shop allowed it right at the machine because the places are so well ventilated that no one notices. In some cases there were alot smokers and one non smoker who was overwhelmed by the smoke. So the smokers decided to stop altogether.

Currently you can smoke in most areas of the our shop (nowhere in the office). Exceptions are the powder coat room, deburring, and the machine shop/toolroom. The toolroom is a personal option, but none of us in there smoke. We have a fairly open policy, but it's also with the understanding that abuse will lead to it being taken away. Personally I could give a #@$!, I quit 8 or 9 years ago, and as long as someone isn't blowing smoke in my face it doesn't effect me much.

As a former smoker I don't miss the days when I could smoke in the shop. My old boss used to smoke like 3 packs a day and he always threw his butts in the chip barrels. Sometimes I swear there were more butts then chips. The barrels stunk so bad that when you emptied them it made you want to throw up...