Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I NEED TO LEARN MASTERCAM...

artsiler

I took 4 semesters of Mastercam at the local community college in Santa Anna back in the early 90's

I'd check out the community colleges in this area as Santa Anna a pretty ugly drive from Corona.

There is also NMTA in Ontario if you can get your employeer to spring for it.

The local Mastercam dealer is located in Anaheim and they have a full series of classes.

On line, there is Streaming Teacher, Mastercam U and a few more I'm not remembering.

You can also pick up some pretty good tutorials from this website... that include a copy of the X6 home Learning Edition

• Like 1

i've never taken a MC class. it would certainly be a short cut to take a class, as most people are pressure motivated, keeping up with a class schedule is good.

Riverside community college, Norco campus, offer CNC (w/ a little MC). my wife and son are taking it. i think they offer a mastercam course. keep your eye on the class schedule. :clap:

i've never taken a MC class. it would certainly be a short cut to take a class, as most people are pressure motivated, keeping up with a class schedule is good.

Riverside community college, Norco campus, offer CNC (w/ a little MC). my wife and son are taking it. i think they offer a mastercam course. keep your eye on the class schedule. :clap:

Thanks I will look into it. :thumbup:

Don't use just one resource, use them all. every person you get help from will teach you something different. I've taken several classes at NTMU Ontario as well as at Mt. Sac. You can never learn too much, and spend time in this forum, there is a lot of good info.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Don't use just one resource, use them all. every person you get help from will teach you something different. I've taken several classes at NTMU Ontario as well as at Mt. Sac. You can never learn too much, and spend time in this forum, there is a lot of good info.

+1

Mt. SAC was where I cut my teeth on Mastercam back in the day... 1992 and V3 IIRC. Man I'm old....:crybaby:

That's funny, I started in '92 also.. may have been classmates

Me too. V3

I found that trying my own way navigating around any software (intention driven) and using books is a good start. Keep a notepad when you get stumped and check help files... if you can't find it UNDERLINE and ask in class...

I've only had one class and that was V7...Ugh!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That's funny, I started in '92 also.. may have been classmates

May have been... I stopped going in '95/'96. I took all the classes. Good times.

Funny story; when I was teaching Mastercam at NTMA (V8/V9 era), one of the guys that was in class with us was one of my students. That was weird.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
I've only had one class and that was V7...Ugh!

I've taken 3 Mastercam Classes in my life. 1) Mastercam 2D @ Mt. SAC - 1 Semester, 2) Mastercam 3D @ Mt. SAC - 1 Semester, and 3) 5-Axis at CAD/CAM Consulting - 1 day

The rest was learned by trial and error, asking questions to other programmers, and tips from friends.

This fourm is a huge help.

Back in the day, we were on our own.

I bought my first Cad/Cam system (Anicam 1.0 on a NEC dual 8" floppy drive system) used and there was no support.

Even the dealer I bought it from had no clue how to use it.

I was alone in the wilderness

I remember spending a week scouring 6" thick instruction manuals tring to find the " filename".

I'd spend hours drawing stuff and when I hit save it asked for the filename.

What filename??? I had no clue and was terrified of screwing something up.

I was already the object of ridicule and scorn for wasting $1000 on something so useless.

I sure didn't want to break it.

After a week of pounding my head against the wall I entered WTF and hit Enter.

It was a eureka moment :thumbsup:

Its funny now... but back then I WAS NOT laughing :realmad:

Now days the guys and gals on the fourm would have clued me in in minutes :rolleyes:

(when they got done laughing)

I took classes as well, thay def help. But like everything else in this feald you learn so much more hand on, like noing master cams glitches, and how to work around them. Every thing u want to do is one button away, and not to often is anything as easy as it seems , play with it every chance you get and hang on every word of people that know. If your a book worm you can get the beginner books on line, thay will go over step buy step on how to complete different projects.

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken 3 Mastercam Classes in my life. 1) Mastercam 2D @ Mt. SAC - 1 Semester, 2) Mastercam 3D @ Mt. SAC - 1 Semester, and 3) 5-Axis at CAD/CAM Consulting - 1 day

The rest was learned by trial and error, asking questions to other programmers, and tips from friends.

Yes i don't know if you guy's remember John Shepard. He was the Instructor @ Mt. sac

I've taken 1 class....Mill lvl 1 w/Solids. when V9 first came out.

came back from that (3 day?) class none the wiser, since it was so very basic..

I'm self taught from trial and error like you say, and also from scouring the internet like this forum, YouTube ,and any other piece of information I can access on a daily basis while my machine is running.

You will definitely learn a lot by trial and error. Start by programming a part and then going to the machine, set up the job and run it yourself. This way you will see what you are doing right and just as importantly you will see what you are doing wrong. Also order some books, probably start with Mill level one. Progress to creating solids, then Mill Level 3. If you work all the way through the examples given in the books you will start to learn shortcuts. But the end result is the same for all of us, needing good code to make quality parts. And don't expect to learn it overnight, it will take a little bit of time, frustration, and patience. Also this forum is a very good source of information as I have been reading posts here for the past two years. You never know when you might pick up that one tidbit of information you need. Good luck.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Mr. SHepard... yep, knew him well. I sat on the Mfg. Technology advisory board for a few years. Then it stopped all of the sudden. I know the pencilnecks were trying to kill Mfg. Tech. :(