Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Text wrapping onto a round surface

Mr.ZX

That is not a simple one there. Might think about the fact it is a cone. Might need to do a scale that is not proportional or do a radial wrap 1st then do a project to surface.

I would try the radial wrap using Xfrom roll. I would then project and see how much it stretches or if it stretches onto the cone surface. Can look at normal and not to view. If it does then figure out the stretch and then make the inverse scale change to the letters. Then follow the same process to get them to look correct on the cone surface.

HTH

That is not a simple one there. Might think about the fact it is a cone. Might need to do a scale that is not proportional or do a radial wrap 1st then do a project to surface.

I would try the radial wrap using Xfrom roll. I would then project and see how much it stretches or if it stretches onto the cone surface. Can look at normal and not to view. If it does then figure out the stretch and then make the inverse scale change to the letters. Then follow the same process to get them to look correct on the cone surface.

HTH

Now thats thinking outside the box!! Great Idea.

Mr. ZX Step by Step process.

#1 Create Letters in the Vertical. For the example I provided I did the alphabet. A good trick here is to make a separate level to put it on and Z0 .

#2 Create a Center point of the letters to use a placement point. Trun off all other levels expect the level the letters are on and then click the create bounding box and only use center point. (Tip do the same for your surface you would like it centered on)

#3 Xform translate from the center point of these letters to the place you want them.

#4 Xform Roll and then window the letters. Use the point as the Sketch Approximate Start point. Now in the dialog the diameter at midpoint of the cone would be best, but the biggest diameter will work for the roll diameter.

#5 I like Copy, then it is Wrap, Rotate about X axis, Direction CW, Diameter, Roll/Un-Roll Diameter, Then Positioning and if you use -90 it will show it relative to top view., Type I like Lines and arc or Splines. Check Preview to see what it will look like before accepting.

#6 Xform Project grab the wrapped letter, then pick surface as the project to, uncheck find multiples, check preview you can move or copy and set to normal if you do view then you will need to split the surface in half to only see the top surface.

#7 Look and see if that is what you want. I noticed on my example it stretched it a little bit.

#8 I would then measure the stretch and then come up with the ratio and then fix each letter before the Xform roll and then roll the project, but I am crazy like that.

HTH

What kind of machine are you going to run this on? I have angled the text at the same angle as the part and then used axis substitution to engrave it. You engrave at the bottom diameter on the axis substitution.

Here is a little sample I whipped up

post-11541-0-97792700-1343402458_thumb.jpg

Here is what I came up with...

LETTERS.jpg

I have also attached the MCX file.

I am sure there are different ways to do this, but my solution was to create each letter at the same X/Y location. Switch to the left view and rotate each letter 12 degrees from the previous letter. I then created a view at each of these rotations and projected the letter onto the surface.

LETTERS.MCX-5

ARG! I still can not get something to project onto this surface. Again this is a sample file, I need to be able to project the "G" onto the radiused surface. normal to the surface if that makes sence..... then drive tool path on the projected curves with axis substitution.

ARG! I still can not get something to project onto this surface. Again this is a sample file, I need to be able to project the "G" onto the radiused surface. normal to the surface if that makes sence..... then drive tool path on the projected curves with axis substitution.

post-15071-0-92977400-1343847952_thumb.png