Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STL Files for Machine Simulation

Don K

Okay... When I visited the Mastercam booth at IMTS in Chicago last week I saw .stl files that can be used for Machine Simulation.

So far I have received the runaround from both Mastercam and Haas about getting my hands on the .stl files for the Haas VF3 and the tr160 and tr160-2 trunnions.

I saw .stl files for all of these on the computer during the demo at the show.

Does anyone out here have copies of these that you could share?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Last time I checked HAAS told me they did NOT have them. It was a project they knew they needed to do and they were beginning to allocate the resources to do it but they had no timeline on when.

If you need or want models that no one can provide, model them

I think there is something Haas related on the FTP as well

This is what they told us at IMTS in Chicago too.

Actually both Mastercam and Haas gave us the runaround.

Carlos, the gentleman giving the demo in the Mastercam booth on Machine Simulation had an .stl file for just about every CNC machine available.

He was busy giving the demo so we grabbed somebody else in the booth who told us we could get them from Haas because thats where they got them from.

So back to the Haas booth we went. They told us that they did not have the full 3D models yet but our Haas sales rep told us that Mastercam probably used .dxf files to create their own.

Now I am being told that they dont even have those. So I contacted our reseller here in Michigan to ask Carlos we could get copies of those .stl files.

We shall see I guess.

Makes me wonder how they even built the machines in the first place if they were not designed in cad. ;o)

I know they have them. Pretty archaeic way of engineering and designing a cnc machine if you ask me.

I'm sure Haas has exact models of all their machines, but they're not going to give them away

because they contain proprietary data. They need to make dumbed down models, adequate for

machine sim yet generic enough to preserve their secrets.

You run into this with almost all machine builders

Here is what I got from Haas. It's in typical email format so you have to start at the bottom.

Casey,

I apologize as I intended to send you the response from Haas and did not.

It appears that Haas is unable to provide what you are looking for at this time.

Thank you

Bill Basacker

Customer Service Coordinator

Selway Machine Tool company

888-735-9290ext4790

Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:21 PM

To: Bill Basacker

Subject: Re: EC-1600

She says no solids yet, maybe late this year. She can send planviews to help build it youself guys.

Steve Hattori

Applications Engineer

Selway Machine Tool Company

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:54:14 -0700

To: Steve Hattori<[email protected]>

Subject: RE: EC-1600

Steve,

Try LaDonna Hambrick. If it can be done I’m pretty sure she will know. Her email is [email protected]

Thank you

Bill Basacker

888-735-9290ext4790

Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:48 PM

Subject: Re: EC-1600

Bill he wants Haas to provide a cad file model of his machine so he can use it to run machining simulations in his programming software.

A LOT of customers want this, but I haven't been able to get an answer from Haas. If you know anybody to talk to there, give me a name and Ill keep asking.

Steve Hattori

Applications Engineer

Selway Machine Tool Company

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:08:16 -0700

To: Steve Hattori<[email protected]>

Subject: FW: EC-1600

Steve,

Please read the email below and let me know if you have any idea what he is talking about.

Thank you

Bill Basacker

888-735-9290ext4790

Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:58 PM

Cc: Rob Stuart

Bill,

I believe what we need is a 3D solid model of the machine. Industry refers to it as a “skin” because it is a model of just the outside surfaces of the machine. With that, Mastercam can simulate machine axis moves with the part and fixturing in place to eliminate the possibility of clearance/crash issues.

Casey Karstens

Aerospace Machining

ATI Wah Chang

1600 Old Salem Rd NE

PO Box 460

Albany, OR 97321

www.ATImetals.com

T: 541-926-4211 Ext. 6672

Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:30 AM

To: Karstens, Casey

Casey,

To be quite honest I’m not familiar with what you are asking for so if you could please provide a little more detail then I will be happy to help you.

Thank you

Bill Basacker

888-735-9290ext4790

Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:14 AM

Subject: EC-1600

Bill,

Can Haas provide us with the skin for our EC-1600 with 4th axis platter? We would like to set up machine simulation in our MasterCam system to make programming safer and easier. Thank you,

Casey Karstens

Aerospace Machining

ATI Wah Chang

1600 Old Salem Rd NE

PO Box 460

Albany, OR 97321

www.ATImetals.com

T: 541-926-4211 Ext. 6672

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this e-mail

message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of

the intended recipient(s) and may concern confidential and

privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,

disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the

intended recipient, and have received this communication in

error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy

all copies of the original messages. Thank you.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this e-mail

message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of

the intended recipient(s) and may concern confidential and

privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,

disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the

intended recipient, and have received this communication in

error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy

all copies of the original messages. Thank you.

Carlos, the gentleman giving the demo in the Mastercam booth on Machine Simulation had an .stl file for just about every CNC machine available.

Maybe Carlo built them himself. He is as good as it gets. The dwgs from Haas are pretty nice.

Contact your dealer, there is a good chance they have a turn-key simulator for that setup.

This is what they told us at IMTS in Chicago too.

Actually both Mastercam and Haas gave us the runaround.

He was busy giving the demo so we grabbed somebody else in the booth who told us we could get them from Haas because thats where they got them from.

So back to the Haas booth we went. They told us that they did not have the full 3D models yet but our Haas sales rep told us that Mastercam probably used .dxf files to create their own.

Now I am being told that they dont even have those. So I contacted our reseller here in Michigan to ask Carlos we could get copies of those .stl files.

We shall see I guess.

Makes me wonder how they even built the machines in the first place if they were not designed in cad. ;o)

I know they have them. Pretty archaeic way of engineering and designing a cnc machine if you ask me.

can't speak for Karlo, but he may have had to sign agreements for those models. I've had cad models that we were allowed to have for demo purposes, but for one reason or another (liability and protection of IP im sure) we couldn't provide to outside sources. Then a year or two later they were released.

Karlo builds his own models. he used to develop them for Vericut for years.Some of those videos at the IMTS were done in Vericut and some in MC sim.

There are some Haas machines on my FTP and a trunion to if you look.

Thanks Jay.

How do I get to your ftp site?

Have you gone to the FTP site here? The FTP on this forum is mine. you find how to log into it thru this link.

http://www.emasterca...showtopic=67968

Jay,

I see that you instruct. I am currently training with Caminstructor online.

I cant seem to get help from them.

Would you be willing to take a look at a file that I am currently working on for our Enshu JE60S Horizontal?

We are trying to machine 4 parts on each face and when I try to sub program one part over on one face to make the other 3 parts our post processor isnt posting the workpiece offset designations.

We use extended offsets in the machine that require G154 PXXX to be posted.

I am wondering at this point if I am doing something wrong.

I am hoping for some help.

My email is: [email protected]

I can send you the phone number if you need it by email.

• Like 1

Karlo builds his own models. he used to develop them for Vericut for years.Some of those videos at the IMTS were done in Vericut and some in MC sim.

There are some Haas machines on my FTP and a trunion to if you look.

I did find a Haas VMC machine model. But it looks smaller than our VM3 and VF3.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I have the Haas VMC models from the FTP site here and the TR160 models supplied to me by Bob Wolcott from another thread. How does one place them into Machine Simulation. I clicked on Help in Machine Simulation and it shows how to build a new machine but the icons aren't in the toolbar for MCX-6. Do I edit the .xml file of the generic VMCTTAB machine I've been selecting? Will it allow me to cut and paste the path name for the .STL file location or will I have to type it in? Anyone create a new machine in Machine Simulation who can help with this? TIA :cheers:

you have to be in simulation first to do any machine editing.. Now you can right click on elements and goto 'add Geometry' and that will allow you to add your STL files. You can then save this as a new machine with the save-as icon.

if you can't see the icons you probably have to turn on the MAchine Simulation toolbar

otherwise create a copy of the machine folder, change the names of the machine files in it to match the folder name and edit the XML file by hand. yes you can cut and paste the path name for the STL file location. IF you put the STL files in the same folder you won't need to include a path.

on the right hand side there should be a 'Machine' tab. ON that there are some icons, one looks like a sewing machine with a pencil on it. Click on that and you're in 'Edit mode'.

Tyler,

Thanks for the great info. :D I'm looking forward to playing with this new toy. :D I have to commend Karlo on a job well done. It certainly looks impressive. When I went into it and used the solid models for the TR160 as a fixture, it placed them on top of the existing trunnion geometry of the generic VMCTTAB. :question: I'll keep messing with it. Should be up and running in no time.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...