Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Harley's 100 Aniversary

Toolfab

I was wondering if any of you out there will be attending the festivity's in Milwaukee for the 100th. Growing up in Milwaukee, this is a very big deal. People are renting there houses out around here for the riders to stay in. The parade of bikes will exceed THOUSANDS eek.gif It is week long party.

They have camp grounds set up at the area fair grounds here, and I will be the Stage Security Supervisor at the fair grounds. Anyone coming to the party? Staying at the camp grounds? Just wondering if there are any memebers coming.

There will be an entire week filled with this cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul,

I won't be coming but would love to see some pictures of people and machines. If you have access to a digital camera would you sent me (or post here) some?

Have a fun filled week,

Phil

[ 08-14-2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: PhilCott ]

quote:

Do you also get urges to play soccer goalie?

LMAO

(did he see my high school transcripts.hmmmmm)

I am a supervisor for a event staffing company at night, it keeps me young. It is a blast. Harley has been tight lipped about who is playing on the stage at the camp grounds, they dont want people just showing up for the concerts and wrecking the place (cuz that wont happen any..lol) I can say however, the cancerts are gonna be GREAT. names you wouldn't expect to play at a fairgounds wink.gif

Consider it done Phil!! I will DEFINITLY get some photo's. Now do you want the machines they ride on......or the machines riding on the back?

cheers.gif

[ 08-14-2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Toolfab ]

Hrm.. guess I better get my flame retardant suit on for this one, cuz I'm likely gonna make more enemies today. :/

Well, I've been a very avid rider for 20+ years. My first bike was an HD. That was the last one I'll ever own, at least until they get some engine ears hired to replace the abundance of lawyers they have on payroll.

The politics involved with HD leave me stupified. The performance of their machines is even less gratifying, not to mention how over-priced they are.

Then there's the attitudes that go along with them in many cases. The owners of these machines often are committed to American made stuff, and uderstandably so. But when you look at an HD, you will find many components made outside our borders, like carbs, brakes etc. So when these guys get pissed because I'm riding something obviously not American, I can only laugh and point to thier "Not Made In America" parts. That usually quiets down the rational ones for a while.

Bottom line: I will not put my hard earned money into an over-priced, under-performing machine that I can't throw into a corner at 120 mph and expect it to stay on it's wheels without rattling the transmission mounts loose.

If I went, I'd get chased out. (Not that they could catch me, but still...)

'Rekd teh If you're gonna ride a couch, you might as well stay at home!

[ 08-14-2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Rekd,

No flame from me even though I ride one. I agree with you on most of what you said. I have been riding for 17+ yrs. myself, and I've been around the block a time or two. Harley doesn't even service a bike that is pre-evo engined ( in CT no dealer will let you roll your bike into their garage bay unless it is an Evo). There is no reason for Harley to celebrate 100 years (money?) if they forgot their roots. I know about the attitudes too, but most of them are from the first time Harley owners. Yeah, the ones that don't even know how to change their own oil. I love bikes in general, but choose to ride a Harley, but not to support the company, so no I'm not going to Milwaukee.

Rob

'81 Custom Shovelhead 98" stroker

P.S.

How do you burry an Evo?

With a Shovel

For me its more about the party. At the 95th they had around 50,000 bikes going down the freeway to the lakefront. Like 'em or not, that is impressive. If I thought there wouldn't be attitudes....why would I do security. Its no fun if your bored.

Rekd, I dont think you will get flamed, you speak from experiance not just jargon you read in a croch rocket magazine. Many poeple I have met have had similar experiances with HD.

HD riders are just like the Ford guys, the Mopar guys, and the Chevy guys. Every product has something cool about it.

I once saw a shirt and many of you have prolly seen it, but it rings true to what Rob said.

$20,000 and 20 miles does NOT make you a biker

You think you have a problem with "yuppie" bikers in CT..lmao....come to Milwaukee for a bit.

cheers.gif

[ 08-14-2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Toolfab ]

Toolfab,

Yes, I do talk from experience. But I will let you in on a tidbit of info.. The bike I own now is a 1000 CC L-Twin (Like a V-Twin laying down). I own this bike for several reasons; a) It's fast like a mo-fo! and handles beautifully even under the stresses I generally put it under, B) it's beautiful, c) it's a big strapping twin and d), it caused me pain.

Let me explain the pain.. When I was out shopping for my wife's bike, I took the TL for a test ride, at the request of the salesmen, (friends of mine that I was yelling at for wanting to sell my wife a 600), so they asked me to take off for a while.. I did, and when I rolled the throttle on in first gear, not trying to go fast, it popped the front tire off the ground instantly and lurched forward. In a panic, I slammed the tire back on the ground, and my momentem carried my jewels abruptly against the tank. I walked back into the show-room, shaking violently, slightly crouched, walking funny and had my hands in a personal position, yelling to my wife and the sales guy, "I'll take it!"

My wife almost hit me in the head until she realized that meant she was gonna get my GSXR 750. biggrin.gif

Now back to my point, I love the feel and sound of HD. (And the women seem to like the vibration) Having the big twin AND performance is where I'm happy.

'Rekd

I think of Harley Riders as

"Bad A$$ Cowboys" out Raising Hell.

If thats what you like to play

thats the Machine for you.

When I see a guy going 80+mph

Riding a straight up wheelie

With only shorts , sandals,sunglasses

and one of those neckleses that is made out of giant Ballbearings

That is the Bike For me!! biggrin.gif

Paul,

Stephen wolf and Quiet Riot?

I won't tell anyone ...heheheh

[ 08-14-2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Tony ]

quote:

When I see a guy going 80+mph

Riding a straight up wheelie

With only shorts , sandals,sunglasses

and one of those neckleses that is made out of giant Ballbearings

Sh!t, Tony, I didn't even see you. I musta been going too fast! biggrin.gif

Actually, I quit wearing shorts after the back shock seized up while in a turn. It was before I got married. My passanger, (now my wife), was also wearing shorts. We slid for quite a while before stopping. She stayed at my house for a couple weeks while we healed, and that was when she realized how much she couldn't live without me. We got married shortly afterwards. (I have been after this woman since I saw here walking thru the park wearing spikes and leather, she was in Jr High school, that was 15 years before the crash.) I can honestly say that if I hadn't thrown her on the ground that day, we prolly never would've gotten married.

'Rekd teh rekd my bikes twice, the first time was the best thing that EVER happened to me biggrin.gif

Okay – couldn’t resist jumping in here –

I fell in love with Harley’s (among other things) at age 18. My guy has been riding and building them since age 16. I can’t speak for him per say, just that I know it’s the only bike for him – and he knows more about HD’s, mechanics and such than anyone I’ve ever met. (All right, so I’m biased).

I’ve ridden on many a Harley, in many a circumstance. Ah, the stories…

Having said that, I’m happy to just ride. I really am not interested riding my own bike. Over the years, an old boyfriend gave me a fix-er-up Honda 650, and my ex-husband found me a BSA. I almost finished the Honda, than it languished in my parent’s backyard to my Dad’s total relief. The BSA also is long gone. It’s kinda like my sailing – when I first started the sport, my idea of sailing was sitting up on the bow, with my feet hanging over the side and sipping a Mai-Tai! What – drive the boat?? Sound’s like work to me. Of course, I have learned to drive my own sailboat out of shear necessary, and even enjoy it now.

The attitude of Harley riders? That’s a dissertation in itself. But some of the ‘old timers’ have the experience to back up what they say.

Any our Harley Davidson stock? Yeah!!!

Rek’d – I had my night when I hit the pavement off the back of a pan head. No sissy bar, we had just gotten off the freeway and onto a side street and he had slowed down. That one second I zoned off, he took off again. I just sorta slid off the back and bounced. Lots to be said for always paying attention!

Kathy

cool.gif

[ 08-14-2003, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: kathy ]

No, flames here either. I have been ridin bikes for 17 years, Harley's since '92. I have rode alot of different bikes, but I prefer harley for various reasons. I am gonna start building a chopper soon too. The way I see it, "To each is his own". (I still wave to the crotch rockets) tongue.gif

I went to a Harley shop this past weekend with one of my brothers in Clayton, NC. He drooled all over himself just by seeing the name on the building. He is a mechanic at a Harley shop in Greer, SC. Anyway, the one in Clayton had some nice stuff there. The bike I liked most was one of the V-rod's. Dude, those bikes are sweet. HOWEVER. I think that if I was ever going to spend $20k + on a bkie, I would have to go with West Coast Choppers and get one custom for almost the same price. That is if my wife will let me buy one someday.

[ 08-14-2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Trevor Bailey, from Barefoot CNC ]

Trevor, If you want a West Coast Chopper, you'll prolly shell out alot more than 20k. There are alot of bike builders out nowadays, so you don't have to pay for that name unless you just want a WCC. What shop does your brother work at? I may know him. Have you seen any of the new custom painted V-rod's?

[ 08-14-2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: jammer ]

Hell thats all there was 50,000 bikes neeed to go right down the raod from where I use to live oh I dont know Daytona. That has some people and some bike. I dont ride body to tore up to even think about but, I agree with Rekd one about the USA made do many of you know that there are prodcuts saying made in the USA that is really USA city in Japan and China they are putting the city not to country so who the sneak now not saying HD is but many people are.

Crazy Millman

+1 on the Harley situtaion, Rekd. I think we've hit the bike issue in previous threads, and mutually agree! cheers.gifcheers.gif

-Too bad about gettin' slid down the xxxx-phalt...but you seem to have recovered nicely. tongue.gif Keep those leathers on, cow skin slides better than human skin! I hardly ever ride in town anymore...I feel safer at 120+ on backroads (or racetrack) than at 10 mph in the dam city.... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

If Harley Davidson had as many engineers as lawyers, they might make a decent motorcycle!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I used to play guitar in bar bands. I played a biker bar on harleys 90th aniversary. Prior to playing the obligatory 7 minute rendition of Born To Be Wild, I offered to buy a round for any body who had a Harley Tatoo. Figured a little fun was worth a few bucks.

Now there were about 150 people in this palce. I spent almost $40 on that round !

I have to say I have never seen a Kawasaki tatoo. biggrin.gif

[ 08-15-2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

i agree with toolfab,

the party, the bands plus the girls.

cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

rekd

boy did i think u put your head on the chopping block with that one. but in retrospect to my first comment, 9 out of 10 girls tongue.gif will get on the back of a harley not rice burners.

but i do agree with you, depending on what your looking for. performance? then go with jap crap

style and long rides? harley by all means.

again i agree with u on the price. hd prices are

bs. you can get two rice burners for one harley.

but personaly, my honda cr250 is next best thing to sex. other than air crafts, where else can one fly.............and not get killed from some dumb _ss driver that didn't see you. try explaining that to your kids.

i can personally say i wiped out many times, but i'm still here to tell. i was driving down the road about 18 years of age. i saw a semi-truck, a rekd bike, and a boddy bag. frown.gif

at 34 years of age i saw a gard rale, a rekd bke and a man laying face down, there was about 6 people there to help. they were all standing about 40 to 50 feet away (there was no help to give) i don't know where i'm going this so i'll shut up.

p.s.

don't get me wrong, if i could afford it. there would be a Harley parked in my garage. and yes, i would ride it. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

cory

quote:

you can get two rice burners for one harley.

Not true!! Only if you're in the market for a newer bike, and it seems that everyone wants new. There are plenty of reasonably priced older harleys around. Sure, they can be a little tempermental, but so are the older Japanese and Brit bikes too. I find it fun & relaxing to be able to work on my own bike. Just like anything else you could fix it right, or you could just rig it so it rattles apart.

I was amazed at a camp ground last summer to see how many Harley owners trailer thier bikes to rallies. I was near Fond du lac Wi. during a rally when i saw dozens of high end motorhomes pull up, open their rear lift gates and roll their bikes out. The investment in their campers and Harleys was well over $100,000. This speaks volumes about the average income of todays Harley riders. Rather you're a fan of them or not they're still an American icon.