Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Connexion mice

stuflo

This may sound silly, but are all of these 3d mice fully compatible with mastercam? I do not have one on my pc, but the boss has an old asteroid, and he uses it for solidworks, but not in mastercam because he claims it is not compatable? We will be getting issues new work rigs in the next couple of weeks so would be an ideal time to put in a request for one if it will work with mastercam. I only use mastercam here, no other cad/cam package. I used to use an asteroid with NX at my last workplace and know how valuable they are! having said that...ive grown fairly efficient with the old mouse and keyboard combo and hotkeys!

The 3D Connexion devices are all fully compatible with Mastercam X products.

They work with V9 but are dangerous. With V9, a mouse click is required to disengage the 3D device

Under the rigth conditions, failure to do so can cause the model to explode.

If you're going to buy one, check Amazon, they will be much cheaper there

If you have a student id you can save even more buying from the online shops that cater to students.

Personally, the Space Mouse Pro is as low as I'd go.

It's much more ergonomic than the Space Explorer. You'll be using this for 8 to 10 hrs a day

for years. It's not a purchase to save $100 on IMO

• Like 1

I can't work without it. I bought a Space Pilot on ebay a few years back for $100 bucks. I've converted a handful of other people since then as well. It's agonizing to see somebody fumbling around in Mastercam without it now.

Can you elaborate abit more

Exactly what do you use it for in mastercam

I use hot keys for speeding things up and often feel I could be doing things a bit faster

Uncle_doolan. We use astroid ball here on solid edge. It worked great for that. It did absolutely nothing in mastercam. I ended up spending 59.00 that the company would spend for a g13 LOGITECH gaming board. The shop would not spend the money for the space mouse. What i have works well you can make macros to do certain keystrokes by pushing one keystroke. Rotate uses a key and moving the mouse. Not Ideal, but it works.

Space Pilot Pro

I started out with a Space Ball in NX2 and MCAM V9, I found the entire WCS could be ripped apart by the Spaceball if you didn't simply click in the screen once to give control back to MCAM. Once I understood that I have never in the past 10 years been without one, nor would work without one.

They're not difficult to describe but the actual usage comes so naturally that after a month you'll swear you'll never work without one again.,

Hotkeys are passe'

I use hot keys for speeding things up and often feel I could be doing things a bit faster

after you learn to use one it's like you're holding the model in your left hand

you spin it roll it zoom it pan it whatever without a conscience thought.

Another benefit is it takes all the view manipulation work you currently do with your mouse hand

and moves it to your other hand.

If you've been doing this for any number of years, you've got sore fingers, wrists etc ...

Moving half the workload to your other hand is a big deal.

I've known guys who quit this business because it was too painful to work.

A Space Pilot can add years to a carreer that might be ended by carrpal tunnel syndrome.

Boatdudeguy, when you watch me do the webinars you can see me moving the model around and picking real smoothly. this due to use the space unit and the mouse at the same time.I am a key person to. so some time my hand will leave one or the other to hit keys.

But like these folks say It drives me crazy to not have one. I now on 5 units my self my wife got me the newer laptop one for Christmas and this little unit is great.

Here are just a few of mine.

I just tried yesterday to put my 5000 on this system at work. It is about 8 years old and the Windows 7 doesn't recognize it. 3d doesn't support the driver for Win7 from what I can tell.

Kind of a bummer.

there is not an x64 driver if you have a serial port connection one, I had to retire one about 4 years ago because on this

used one for a long time when I was programming full time, now that I work from a Laptop at different customers shops I had to "relearn" MCX as I don't want to pack around anything extra, and I am lucky to have a stool to set-up at most customer shops... they could use some 5s....

Moving the model around, especially if you're doing 3D stuff and selecting lots of check and drive surfaces. It's equally valuable in Solidworks when you're adding mates in assemblies. I have my favorite hot keys programmed into the little buttons at the top, and their functions show up on the LCD screen.

Years ago I bought a little USB number pad, so I could start entering numbers with my left hand without taking my right hand off the mouse. The Space Pilot kinda phased that out, but I'm finding the number entry to be a bit of a bottleneck these days. I should probably break it back out and swap back and forth between the Space Pilot and the 10 key, since the Pilot is idle while filling out toolpath fields. It'd be cool if bumping the Space Pilot could fully navigate the toolpath trees and data fields, but I don't know how likely that will ever be.

I've got a Space Navigator. It is pretty simplistic, but it works great and gives me all the functionality I need. And I can use it across Solidworks, Vericut, MC and now NX :)

It doesn't have the LCD screen and extra buttons, but it has a nice small footprint. It would be cool if it was wireless though :)

...It'd be cool if bumping the Space Pilot could fully navigate the toolpath trees and data fields, but I don't know how likely that will ever be.

They need to add an optical sensor to the bottom of the SpacePilot and have it activate when a dialog opens up ;)

But couldn't you bind a key to the TAB button? It's not ideal, but I use TAB sometimes when on the linking parameters page.

after you learn to use one it's like you're holding the model in your left hand

you spin it roll it zoom it pan it whatever without a conscience thought.

Another benefit is it takes all the view manipulation work you currently do with your mouse hand

and moves it to your other hand.

If you've been doing this for any number of years, you've got sore fingers, wrists etc ...

Moving half the workload to your other hand is a big deal.

I've known guys who quit this business because it was too painful to work.

A Space Pilot can add years to a carreer that might be ended by carrpal tunnel syndrome.

I know the pain

Boatdudeguy, when you watch me do the webinars you can see me moving the model around and picking real smoothly. this due to use the space unit and the mouse at the same time.I am a key person to. so some time my hand will leave one or the other to hit keys.

But like these folks say It drives me crazy to not have one. I now on 5 units my self my wife got me the newer laptop one for Christmas and this little unit is great.

Here are just a few of mine.

I dont think ill be help myself I have to check it out

uncle sam a claus has never been better to me than this yr

got my spacepilot pro in this morning and love the programmable keys

no more alt edit delete delete entites, just button 1!

the views are at my fingertip instead of hauling the mouse up to the toolbars,

the level manager is a button,

operations manager is another

its got a screen fit button

esc,ctrl,alt,shift,

you can set the buttons for keyboard functions like spacebar and on and on and on

its functions switch to the mastercam ones once mcam opens, its got separate functions on its own just in windows

so frikn sweet i cant stand it