Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Computer min. requirements

TERRYH

I was just wondering what is the minimum RAM that is recomended for MCX6 our systems have 6 GB and it really seams to lag sometimes. I dont run alot of stuff at one time. Most of the time it's just MCX, excel, and a radio program. the rest of the system I would assume is ok as it is a 6 core processor and a Nvida Quadro 2000 vid card.

My work PC is a Dell T3500

Quad Xeon @ 3.2 Win7 64Bit

Quadro 2000

only 6 gigs memory and the max it can take is 24gigs

It worked super for 3+2 jobs but now with full 5axis it's not so snappy anymore.

There are some good deals around for memory and I really want a a SSD.

Come one guy's post benefits of moar ram and a SDD and i'll print it for the boss to read

can you mix and match RAM do they all have to be the same?

Brand wise, speed wise

Hmmmm, What kind of work, and what do you consider laggy? You may not be as laggy as you think if you do mold work.... It's all relative.

When I had 4gb of ram in my new(2yrs ago) i7 system, I have a great benchmark still to this day. Running 16gb now, but ironcially benchmark improved modestly.

Your rig is within the modern ball park, (UNLESS you've got big files, 5x) ...I'd venture you have something else software wise wrong with your system. Open task manager and see what's running. I've seen HP and Dell oem builds with 90+ process running! About 20 of which are junk! That stuff will kill ya. If it's set up right, a well tuned modest machine could out perform a high dollar out-of-the-box OEM machine . :D Oh, are you working from a network or external drives? Read/writes over ethernet, usb, etc are horrific.

Yes we work over a network we switched a year or so ago from working on our individual HD's And the work we do is for the tool and die and molding alot of automobile related stuff headliner molds carpet molds and so fourth. AQs far as the task mgr. only 24 processes running before I start MCX.

It also depends on what OS you're running.. if it's XP, anything over 4 gig is a waste.

Win7x64 is the preferred OS if you're loading up on ram

You do realize XP has 64bit right? This statement is very misleading. While Windows 7 Ultimate will actually support more (192GB), XP can also support a lot (128GB), so it does not make it a waste of time, not by a long shot. Also not all Windows 7 64 will support more than 8GB or 16GB. So you need to specify what Win7 you are talking about. http://msdn.microsof...imits_windows_7

Also I have a pretty hard time believing that you see a difference between 24GB and 12GB in 2 systems. If the speed of the memory is the same, you will have a very hard time seeing a difference. Not even sure a benchmark would show anything. The only time you would see it, is if you are actually using the limit of the physical amount and I doubt you are even close to that. Now I am guessing here at what you use the computer for but unless you have a RAM drive or are running virtual servers, you don't need 24GB. Now on the other hand, because RAM is cheap, there are not usually any reasons to NOT get more RAM, but why spend an extra 100 bucks on something that won't make a difference AT ALL? By the time you actually are able to use that much RAM, your computer hardware will be so freaking old, that you wouldn't even have that same memory in there anyway. IE outdated hardware.

Thats my opinion.

p.s. you also never mentioned if the system at home is identical to the one at work. You probably see a difference in something other than the RAM. Even if you have identical hardware, different programs, services, etc would also play a factor. To compare the 2, you need to format both and run them off the same network and install only similar programs and updates.

Me and the other MCX programer have Identical systems and he has issues al well some of our files for casting and such can go from 21,000 KB and up. If that is concidered large not sure how they compaire to other files people are using outside of here. Also I forgot to mention this machine has Windows 7 professional.

I would assume is ok as it is a 6 core processor and a Nvida Quadro 2000 vid card.

Which processor?

You might have a bottleneck somewhere.

And why 6gb RAM? do you have Triple Channel Ram?

If you have dual channel,then I suspect your RAM sticks aren't correct.

My home system is Triple Channel, and I have 6x2GB sticks of RAM.

Me and the other MCX programer have Identical systems and he has issues al well some of our files for casting and such can go from 21,000 KB and up. If that is concidered large not sure how they compaire to other files people are using outside of here. Also I forgot to mention this machine has Windows 7 professional.

If you are talking about memory being used (21000KB), then that is nothing. However if you are talking about the file size, then its large indeed however it has nothing to do with the RAM needed. Its dependent on what you are doing with that file and how much memory is being used while processing.

Ok that makes sense, that is a LGA 1366 socket cpu (same as my i7 950) and the motherboards that they fit into only have triple channel ram.. so you're all good there with having 6gb RAM.

Might want to upgrade to 12, 18 or 24gb (you cannot get 8gb with triple channel RAM)

3x4gb sticks of ram are only $60, I just checked on Newegg,

My work PC is a Dell T3500

Quad Xeon @ 3.2 Win7 64Bit

Quadro 2000

only 6 gigs memory and the max it can take is 24gigs

It worked super for 3+2 jobs but now with full 5axis it's not so snappy anymore.

There are some good deals around for memory and I really want a a SSD.

Come one guy's post benefits of moar ram and a SDD and i'll print it for the boss to read

can you mix and match RAM do they all have to be the same?

Brand wise, speed wise

As cheap as RAM is having only 6 gig now is simply unacceptable. I have more memory in my laptop that is only used to browse craigslist LOL.

Do not mix and match memory. You can, and it will work, but referring back to the cheapness of memory again... why would you?

As for an SSD... GET ONE NOW! :)

And get one AT LEAST 256GB. Adding an SSD is like adding a supercharger to an engine. When hopping up a car, you always get rid of the biggest bottleneck first. Run a Windows Experience Index on your PC. I guarantee you the hard drive is what is holding you back from being in the 7's. An SSD is hands down THE BEST bang for the buck upgrade in a PC.

Don't just buy the cheapest though. Corsair is my favorite, but Crucial, and Intel (especially the Cherryville) are some of the highest rated SSD's. Compare read and write speeds.

You will see benefits of having an SSD in almost everything you do. When you open a program, save a file, or do something as simple as search for a file on the hard drive you will be amazed at the speed at which these things happen. From the time I press my power on button to the time I am looking at my desktop takes less than 25 seconds (counting post time and logging in!). With a platter drive this can take a few minutes. I guarantee you if your boss knew how much of a difference these make he'd not only buy you one but one for himself as well.

If I were your boss I would buy these for your PC...

Memory

SSD

And this wicked fast PCIe card for mine

HOLY ####!