Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Forum Needs OT or Chat Area

Charles Davis

quote:

An O/T aread would be nice, but this forum is for MC, not CNC. There's other places out there for that. Keep this focused on MC, as that's where the roots are, that's where the success is for this forum.

I do not share Matt's opinion that the forum should have MC Blinders constrain it. In our daily tasks we use much more than Just MC and to have a place where others are applying MC for the same purpose - we can share best practices and bench mark our abilities against others and create wealth for the economy in general. For this to reach critical mass - it will take everyone to post and share at least one tip, trick, idea or better way and this will thru the magic of the WWW reach the multitudes and improve human kind...

Oh, I do think though that the "Entertainment Value" threads could use their own forum - that way a work day is a work day - and a holiday is a holiday - you choose what "Help" you need.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a member who is guilty of starting a few O/T offerings in the past, I can only say that as a member, my contributions here are not always at par with the relevant expertise of many others. I do have the utmost respect for the new members and the professional responses given. Sometimes these answers come on weekends and in the middle of the night.

It’s not that I am trying to influence or redirect discussion; I believe that straight up Mastercam talk can get a little stuffy after a few weeks of technical questions and answers. Granted, I have probably pushed the moderators to the limit as I am sure they have logged in many times on the weekends to make sure that I am being good.

As Mark Anderson suggested, this is more like a community than a forum. The people we meet sometimes sport an attitude – me included; I believe it’s what makes this forum the powerful entity that it has become. Why do I log in two or three times a day? It's the same reason we all do - cause it's fun in here. We even miss those who haven't been around for a while (where are you Cory, Elad, Hugh - the person from Austrialia that said cricky Jack?) smile.gif

Some O/t topics are invaluable in their content such as the O/T coolant thread, the Beryllium copper thread, & even the Mazak Integrex thread. So having donuts at 3:00AM or drinking too many beers are not really part of the machining or Mastercam game plan at the moment, I still find this to be the premier spot for all of it.

This forum is the envy of many others simply because, It’s all good. smile.gif

Just noticed - I am on the cusp of senior member, so I have to be on my best behavior. biggrin.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 08-26-2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Granted, I have probably pushed the moderators to the limit as I am sure they have logged in many times on the weekends to make sure that I am being good.

Guess I'm in that same boat as I can get a bit testy too. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif It's all in good fun though.

Nice points, as usual Jack.

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Granted, I have probably pushed the moderators to the limit as I am sure they have logged in many times on the weekends to make sure that I am being good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They've created a bot to log in every 18.5 seconds to run a script on the database looking for posts from user 564, which, if found, will trigger a fax, email, fone call, courier AND registered letter to the admins at IHS warning of possible nuclear attacks... eek.gif

'Rekd teh Bad boys, bad boys.. What ya gonna do?

[ 08-26-2003, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Sure this forum is intended as a quality site for professional Mastercam users ...and that it certainly is. The body of knowledge and quality of information is generally expressed with the utmost honesty and genuine interest in helping fellow users...that in turn I feel has helped us establish a certain respect for each other which has evolved the forum into a true ?community?. +1 to all those who make it happen..

It's funny how on a day-to-day basis we feel a certain camaraderie being enthusiastic Mcam users, sharing the common "bond" of Mcam and the joy of making it work. However when a heated O/T comes up, it?s eye-opening to realize how different we really can be. Personally, I usually interact with like-minded people throughout the day, having little exposure to those of differing viewpoints; whether it is political, automotive, gun-related, motorcycle, muscle car, video card, brand of carbide, etc. I?ve had much richer ?discussions? of politics here at the forum than with friends or family, the latter being way too similar to have any real debate with. But due to us users ?bonding? via legitmate sharing and assistance in Mcam, we have earned a certain respect for each other?s differing thoughts?.and that?s what makes this form work.

what a sappy post?just check my Columbine o/t for sap of a different flavor.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Jimmy,

Sorry, no Hotmail. Just plain 'ol e-mail. Feel free to e-mail me anytime. Trevor may even have my work e-mail address. If not, drop me an e-mail and I'll give it to you.

I used to have ICQ but alas I'm not bright enough to figure out how to turn off all the smut that comes through the thing so I killed it.

I agree with M.Andersons comment,

quote:

This seems more of a “Community” of MC users than a question and answer board – for me anyway.

Just have a read of the thread "OK, OK, who's drinking tonight" and it is obvious that a lot of us in here take, not only a professional, but a personal interest in fellow members. I don't believe this would be the case without O/T threads allowing us to look beyond the chip guard and into each others personalities.

Phil

• 3 months later...

Well I would for myself need a new brain since I got dislexie I kinda need a whole new brain to be a better speller. For soemoen who does not have a college education and winged his way through school hiding my diability I say take the speel checker and stick it in the dumpster.

Life is always about what we thin kwe see or what we think we have learned where as the things we miss are the thing that we over look becuase we may have to have it a certain way. Is the ability to spell make one smarter than the other or is it just that that part of soemone brain does better than someone's elses. i work for a guy that hated one of the employee's beacuse he was dislexie worst than me. THe owner had no idae I was and I was takign him to the airport one day when we got to talking and he opened his big mouth about it. I then imformed him that I was and if he felt so strongly about this disability that he should understand it and not be so negative about it. He never said another word about it and left the other guy alone. We do not choose the path life gives us we just make the choice to follow it. It is the people ability to make the best of what ever life's throw at you and accpet what you can not change.

I am a bad typer the a bad speller on top but I am one hell of a Machinist and try to be as a person take it or leave it just the person I am and yes I take what you say personally sicne you have directed at me personally on more than on one occasion.

Ronald D. Branch Shop Supervisior, Programmer, and 17 year Machinist

Millman,I sincerely apologize. I did not mean for anyone to take it personal. My crosshairs were not on anyone. The last thing I want to do is to offend one of you guys and get blacklisted by you or any one else. As the name implies, I am a rookie at 'gramming and I need yours, along with everyone elses help on this forum to better myself at what I do. I have learned a ship load of twists and tricks since I started reading/posting on this forum. Sometimes, I read what you guys do in MC and my first reaction is, out and out awe. I do highly value your input, Millman. Your are a credit to this forum.

-------------------------------------------------

I do understand about disabilities. My oldest son has Cerebral Palsy. Although slight, he will have to cope with a swagger when he walks. He goes in for surgery on Feb. 5th for feet reconstruction. He just turned 9.

-------------------------------------------------

quote:

......and yes I take what you say personally sicne you have directed at me personally on more than on one occasion.

confused.gif Please clarify. When?

Sincerely,

Interesting; I've noticed for years that there seems to be a high number of machinists who are dyslexic. In fact, some of the best machinist I've met are dyslexic.

I don't know if being a little dyslexic makes you a better machinist, or if being dyslexic prompts people to choose machining as a trade.

BTW: I think the main reason so many people have trouble spelling is the way they were taught in school. If you have children, make sure they learn using the Phonics method. Sight reading is a stupid way to teach spelling. tongue.gif

Good Day,

Opinion: ( about OT )

Quote:

New accronym ?(or maybe not ) .... WOT :

Way off topic

I would ratheer not create these...

++ for you Charles

I couldn't aggree more.

Tony G

Almost Employed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

--------------------------------------------------

Wow for once I don't quite agree with the popular. I've been here for a while and have recently on another cam forum boasted that this is the most helpful and most professional forum on the internet. I believe it should be used for mastercam help only and all OT's should be taken to another complete board. I don't think an open machining forum that could risk extreme exposure to other software than MC would be a productive idea. It's like stabbing Tolland in the eye.

We know we all have personalities and a lot of us have had coorespondence outside of this board. Please let's keep this incredibly professional board just that...professional.

I think at the most the fine crew at in house should use something other than UBB software and impliment a private message system, it would let us be ourselves to the people we know and keep the public stuff professional.

Rookie I didn't wan't to come across like an complete mean person. I only wanted to envoke thought on your part is all no hard feelings here. smile.gifsmile.gif

I also have gained so much from this place more than I could ever give back. A person who knows everything is a person and has not lived life and a person who knows nothing has nothing but life ahead of them. Wisdom comes from many things and the knowledge you can gain from the people in this place I feel should come on a personal as well as a professional level. The idea that we should all be robots and treat this place like yes and no and the answer to the square root of 1,234,567 is this answer is well a killer of this community.

The idea that you can get help here is a good one and the idea that you can get to know people who are like you (ok Maybe not Crazy Like me) and share the same type of job that you do directly realtes back to Mastercam and being a Machinist in my book. I can talk to 1000 people and of that I may meet one person that has done the things I have done and even understand the things I do. It is not like being a Doctor or a Lawyer or in a profession where you can meet your fellow collugaes on a daily bases. This is just such a place you put up a sepefic question related to Mastercam and the great knowledgeable people here can answer that.

Are some of the O/T thing a little much for some people yes Maybe, but that is what make this place what it is the people. I ask this question when you get a neighbor or a co-worker that does things a little off the wall do you just go move to a different place or go get a different job?

Crazy Millman

[ 01-02-2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]