Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Good news for calibration of 5 axis machines

I think these are good news for people strugling with 5 axis machines that can´t hold tight features... (Specially after a crash...)

Ballbar was a good tool for linear axes... and now they have this long waited solution for rotaries too:

http://ht.ly/i5WDd

http://www.renishaw....software--18772

Measurement accuracy of ±1 arc second.

Off axis capability

• Unique software* allows use of XR20-W in many machine configurations where it is difficult to mount the system directly on the machines rotary axis pivot point
  • Provides a solution for testing many five axis machines

Because the linear axis is moving, the measurements made by the XR20-W may include additional angular errors (eg. pitch) from the linear axis. These contributory angular errors are then measured separately (using XL-80 and angular optics) and removed from the initial rotary axis results. The end result is a set of data reflecting only the errors from the rotary axis itself.
  • Like 1

We use AxiSet for checking our CL or rotations;

http://www.renishaw....heck-up--11353#

Our Matsuura AE set us up with a plug and play cycle that does A/C and/or B/C depending on our machine. Works Bad@$$. We just eyeball the probe about 10mm above the element and hit cycle start. It dpes all the rest including generating the report.

Hey José, really good to know this... Tks for the heads up!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We bought that for our MU10000 as well.

After running the machine for 4 months, our dealer came out for a training session on how to use it

and put it through it's paces. Our pivot point had moved 2 microns from the factory settings :laughing:

• Like 3

We bought that for our MU10000 as well.

After running the machine for 4 months, our dealer came out for a training session on how to use it

and put it through it's paces. Our pivot point had moved 2 microns from the factory settings :laughing:

Two microns? What a piece of junk. Send it back! :laughing:

• 1 year later...

With Seimens... in my experience they have not shown themselves to have even decent support with regards to high-end functions. I would seriously be wary of something like that from them.

The last Axi-Set one of our customers bought, I want to say $1500-$2000 was the price including the element.

• 2 weeks later...
Wonder if there is a way to cobble something together something similar for a osp7000 macturn? I would contact them and see if they have a solution already built for that machine.
If by "them" you mean gosiger, no bueno so far. They must be super busy selling all the latest and greatest. Can't seem to get much support for a "simple" turret alignment.

Just saw on sme.org Siemens is laying off 7800 people

They must be super busy selling all the latest and greatest. Can't seem to get much support for a "simple" turret alignment.

We're ALL super busy. We're looking for 2 more AE's for other territories (Washington and NorCal). Been looking for a while. Service guys... Good luck finding those. Yeah, we're looking for more of them as well. The MT business is suffering a lack of skilled talent just like you guys.

If by "them" you mean gosiger, no bueno so far. They must be super busy selling all the latest and greatest. Can't seem to get much support for a "simple" turret alignment. Just saw on sme.org Siemens is laying off 7800 people

Turret alignments on B axis multi-tasking lathe are anything but simple. It takes a skilled tech to determine and correct alignment issues in a 5 axis environment. 

As for Axi-Set, you would need probing in your machine. I'm not even sure that was an option when your machine was new. However, you could just as easily use a tooling ball in conjunction with and indicator to take measurements and then lay them out in MCX to analyze your machines alignment condition.

Siemens layoffs are mostly from their medical device group having poor performance. 7800 people is only about 2% of their global workforce. That's like a shop of 50 people laying off one guy. It sucks if your that guy but it really doesn't change the overall business much. 

• Like 1
Turret alignments on B axis multi-tasking lathe are anything but simple. It takes a skilled tech to determine and correct alignment issues in a 5 axis environment. As for Axi-Set, you would need probing in your machine. I'm not even sure that was an option when your machine was new. However, you could just as easily use a tooling ball in conjunction with and indicator to take measurements and then lay them out in MCX to analyze your machines alignment condition. .
047eb962fc52777dd6e84a44bd7f40aa.jpg" alt="047eb962fc52777dd6e84a44bd7f40aa.jpg">Figure a good starting point for proper alignment would be to have the B axis level when the control thinks it's at zero. I have a 32 step instruction from okuma for a U100 control but extrapolating back to a 7000 is tough for this noob. In the image above I can CAL a new 183.xxx degree number in PR ZERO Offset that represents the amount the alignment is out but the machine still goes to the bad angle. What is weird is if I put a big 10 deg number in, the head zeros off by 10 deg before getting an svp clamp alarm. Just Not sure why it's not taking the .040 adjustment. Been a looooong time trying to get support on this:o

Machine has probing, FWIW.

Sorry for the hijack but desperation is growing

047eb962fc52777dd6e84a44bd7f40aa.jpgFigure a good starting point for proper alignment would be to have the B axis level when the control thinks it's at zero. I have a 32 step instruction from okuma for a U100 control but extrapolating back to a 7000 is tough for this noob. In the image above I can CAL a new 183.xxx degree number in PR ZERO Offset that represents the amount the alignment is out but the machine still goes to the bad angle. What is weird is if I put a big 10 deg number in, the head zeros off by 10 deg before getting an svp clamp alarm. Just Not sure why it's not taking the .040 adjustment. Been a looooong time trying to get support on this:o

Machine has probing, FWIW.

Sorry for the hijack but desperation is growing

You are probably fighting the curvic coupling. When you make the small adjustment it takes the number but when it clamps the coupler pulls it out. When you put the big number it wont let it clamp. This would require physically aligning the coupler.