Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

verification

SHEP

I just gouged a part because I had the clearance and retract height set too low between two operations using the same tool, the tool had a rapid move to the set height and tried to rapid to the next operation eek.gif , the part was in the way, dumb, I know. I used verification before I ran the program and it didnt show any collisions between operations, any ideas as to why? confused.gif

Check your job set-up values to see if origin and stock boundaries are all where they should be. Verify is a really nice feature but I still look the code over just to make sure there are no suprises. You can backplot and use Alt-W to pick the 3 view option, then you can see it backplot from a few different angles and a lot of times you'll find problems there before it gets to the floor. cool.gif

Welcome to the forum,

In ver 8.1.1 I create an STL file of the stock piece and of the final part. I verify with the stock piece to check for spindle clearance, then verify with the final part to check for gouging.

Make sure you have "Stop on Gouge" and "Display Holder" checked. There are times when a gouge or crash won't be shown when using Turbo, Wireframe or Solid tool in Verify. You should edit the file HOLDER.MC8 to match the geometry of your particular holder, spindle, etc.

Even after all of that I don't trust Verify 100% and still look over the g-code and manually add clearance moves between operations if needed. I hope this helps and Good Luck!

quote:

I used verification before I ran the program and it didnt show any collisions between operations, any ideas as to why?

Verify won't show how the tool gets from one operation to the other, or how it gets from one contour/pocket to the other. It seems to think that every op is followed by a tool change (turn on 'Pause at tool change' and try it out).

To see if the tool is rapiding through the part, you'll need to:

- Check the backplot carefully, especially when you need to clear a boss or a wall.

- Use G-code verificaiton software like Predator or Metacut.

A better/safer/more uniformly sucussful way to deal with it is to use an ABS value retract height that is known to be safe, as has been mentioned. If you are counting seconds, focus your attention on eliminating unnecessary feed-to-depth-outside-of-the-stock moves. Getting rid of one or two of those will save more seconds than hours and hours spent tweaking retract and clearence heights. Time spent there pays off much more rapidly than time spent futzing with rapids. If you can't help yourself, make use of the 'point' toolpath between operations to better control rapid moves, or use reference points at the start/end of the toolpath.

I had run into a similar situation in that verify did not show a collison that occurred. I had traced it down to what is called a Dog Leg rapid move, aka interpolated rapid move. This means that the machine will move in both X and Y at the same speed until the position of the rapid move is achieved. Something like a G00 X98. Y3. will move the machine in both axis, but the Y3. value will be achieved much sooner then the X value (a dog leg move). I discovered that this is not always a good thing. There are two fixes for this, edit the rapid move in the G-code, that is if you can find it, or set the CNC controller to non interpolated rapid moves. I use Meta Cut to double check my parts, and Meta Cut has a setting to look for dog leg moves - you just need to know its there! Once I had Meta Cut set up properly the gouge in the part was readily apparent.