Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using ethernet cable to communicate with HAAS

We purchased a HAAS CNC Lathe that is now set up and we use Mastercam to communicate with

other vertical mills (HAAS) that we have. The management decided to use an ethernet cable between

the computer and the lathe. All the other machines use RS232. We are not able to send a program

to the lathe. Not really sure how to set it up. I wonder if anyone had the problem or knows the

answer. Thanks for your responses.

Jeff the haas_guy

I have no idea about a Haas but with our DMG Siemens there is a program called HMI Manager on your computer. Then the folder you want to share is listed there. Then the IP address and a bunch of settings are set on the control. You can move files any time just like Tom has mentioned above. Since we are on a network (our computers) the lathe itself needed an IP address.

Are there setting in the Haas that I can change so I can see it on the computer? Settings or Parameters?

yes.

read the manual that came with the machine. there are settings between the Haas and Network that need to match. you have to set the network address and optionally a password in Haas settings. there is more to it, but it's been years since i've done it.

We are doing the same thing. Hooking our new Lathe up to our network using the ethernet. We have been able to get it to open a shared folder on the connected computer on the Net Share tab, but are still trying to get it to connect to our network. We obviously have some setting wrong. I do have one question that I was wondering if anyone could answer. When pointing to a folder on the network drive does it have to be at the root level. So for example when we connected it to the computer in the "Remote Share Path" we pointed to a folder HAASPGM which was located directly on the C: drive (C:\HAASPGM). What we wanted to do is point to a subfolder underneath this. So we actually want to point to C:\HAASPGM\LATHE. We could never get the settings on the controller to point to a subfolder, only the root folder on the hard drive. Is it possible to point to subfolders? If so does anyone have any tips?

You can go anywhere you want. Its how you set up the address on both ends. I'm 4 levels deep to 2 different directories. One for the Lathe, one for the Mill. Both Haas.

Our IT guys had a fit getting ours to work at first.

Your IT guys should know how for your system. I dont know the ins and outs of how they did it here.

Talk to Haas

machineguy

on our older haas it was only root, and you could not edit a program that was on that hard drive. you would have to send it out ,edit then back in, we only had 1 meg at that time, now upgraded to 17 meg and don't usually have a problem.

Thanks for the input guys. I have been working with our IT guy and we haven't figured it out yet. Machineguy, do you happen to know what the Remote Server Name and the Remote Share Path is for your machine? Obviously ours would be different, but did you enter in a path with backslashes such as \HAASPGM\Lathe, our did you just point to the lowest subdirectory for the share path or is it all IP addresses? I was just curious. I was in contact with the Haas and they gave us a few suggestions which didn't work and I haven't been able to get them to call me back yet.

Our machine is a year old or less so I would think it should be able to point to any directory not just the root. We are going to be using Mastercam to generate our code so we are ok with the operators not being able to change the program. In fact we don't want them to have the ability to change it without communicating the changes and why they are doing so.

We are doing the same thing. Hooking our new Lathe up to our network using the ethernet. We have been able to get it to open a shared folder on the connected computer on the Net Share tab, but are still trying to get it to connect to our network. We obviously have some setting wrong. I do have one question that I was wondering if anyone could answer. When pointing to a folder on the network drive does it have to be at the root level. So for example when we connected it to the computer in the "Remote Share Path" we pointed to a folder HAASPGM which was located directly on the C: drive (C:\HAASPGM). What we wanted to do is point to a subfolder underneath this. So we actually want to point to C:\HAASPGM\LATHE. We could never get the settings on the controller to point to a subfolder, only the root folder on the hard drive. Is it possible to point to subfolders? If so does anyone have any tips?

Just taken a stab at it. have your tried HAASPGM LATHE? note space instead of \.

We have gotten the lathe hooked up to the network. We seem to only be able to point to a root folder on a network drive. We can't seem to get it to point directly to a subfolder, we have to browse to the subfolder on the controller. We have tried forward slashes, spaces, etc. with no luck. Talked to Haas and they said this is a limitation, the controller can only point to a root folder on the network. We just have to browse to the subfolder on the controller. Seem like an oversight or short coming to not be able to point directly to a subfolder this day in age, especially since the controller can browse through subfolders on the network.

Make the shared folder on the computer the sub folder that you want.

That folder will now be the "root folder on a network drive" no browsing to a sub folder required.

Unless there is something in that other "root folder on a network drive", that you ocasionally want.