Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Saving a useable STL file out of X7 Verify

CamMan1

I would encourage everyone to hit up the webinar on Monday that I posted a thread about here, where things like this and the design intent of Simulator edit covered.

The easy solution to this issue, though, is to use Stock Model. Besides just using the Stock Model to drive your different machine groups & toolpaths, you can also export your Stock Model to an STL, or, even better, to a Pmesh model which you can then interact with (move around, etc) which you could then select to trim your toolpaths, create a new stock model in a different place, etc.

Edit: In my (admitted limited, I don't use STLs much anymore) experience, the Stock Model STL is more efficient (size/triangle count) than X6's Verify model was....

WOW I just learnt about this now, thank you.

Can I please ask once you have created a stock in the toolpath manager how do you then use it for future toolpaths or in verify?

Cheers Dave

WOW I just learnt about this now, thank you.

Can I please ask once you have created a stock in the toolpath manager how do you then use it for future toolpaths or in verify?

Cheers Dave

Dave,

Your world is about to get a lot more efficient, then :)

Mastercam treats Stock Models like any other toolpath, so for all purposes (display/locking/ghosting/etc) just use the same tools you'd use on toolpaths, like ALT+T, the blue wavy line icon, etc..

When you create a new toolpath that supports trimming the operation, under the "Trim To Stock" section, just choose the stock model as a toolpath:

post-12334-0-06153900-1383134025_thumb.png

Please make use of the "Adjust toolpath to ignore/mill small cusps" options on this page.. You can really trim your toolpath nicely to get exactly what you want by playing with these settings a bit.

You can use it to verify against by choosing the Simulator options in the operations manager:

post-12334-0-33894600-1383134138_thumb.png

Hope this helps!

post-12334-0-06153900-1383134025_thumb.png

post-12334-0-33894600-1383134138_thumb.png

Michael,

try unchecking "initial stock" and checking "stock" instead.

and ..

please ditch the CAP LOCK its considered yelling Thanks

I have already tried checking stock. When i check stock it shows up as a box rather than my the stl i generated. I also created a stock model and tried using it as well, same problem....

I have already tried checking stock. When i check stock it shows up as a box rather than my the stl i generated. I also created a stock model and tried using it as well, same problem....

have you defined your verify stock

try the white and blue button immediately to the right on the Verify button

Michael - dumb question, but have you imported your STL to make sure that the file is correct in the first place?

Aaron,

I got ahold of my reseller and he also was stumped . My stock shows up under initial stock but when i toggle stock on and off it shows as a block. I have my stl set as stock in both machine group stock setup and verify option in the operations manager. We cut alot of extrusion here so a solid block is no beuno for verify. (I know the stl file is correct because it works just fine in x6) I attached a pic of whats going on the yellow is what i need the stock to show up as but the pink is what its coming out as.

post-43680-0-00397700-1383157971_thumb.png

I'm in total agreement with CamMan1, all this added effort to accomplish what was such an easy task in X6 is a waste of time. I have yet to find anything in X7 that helps me do my job easier or quicker. It's frustrationg to have to go thru all these steps. We in jobs shops are time conscience and every new release is slowing us down. I am impressed at your skill at making complex software but I believe in the future Mastercam is going to get so complicated to use that many people will move on to other software. I also work on large parts and use stl models for other operations and this verify is garbage...Just my opion.

Here ya go... i couldent upload the stl it said im not permitted to upload this type of file. You should be able to save some and then select save as stl.

Thank you

I usually make a "Base Stock" Stock Model OP for start. In your case, you can extrude a solid, as I made on level 100 for stock.

Then you good to go in verify also. No need to play with STL files from outside. Just as I don't like too...

I usually make a "Base Stock" Stock Model OP for start. In your case, you can extrude a solid, as I made on level 100 for stock.

Then you good to go in verify also. No need to play with STL files from outside. Just as I don't like too...

Its the exact same with stock model..... this is driving me crazy

post-43680-0-35490600-1383164710_thumb.png

I think the issue you're having is that it's using the 3 axis verification engine to render the stock... It won't show any "undercuts" in the stock in that mode... Switch to the 5 axis engine and see if that behaves how you'd expect.

What is the reason of this switch? Why needed to switch between 3ax/5ax engine?

I'm just curious, not blaming here.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys I am a retired mechanic and have been playing with mastercam for quite a few years at home on my home built machine with Mach3.

I don't work  this is just a hobby for me.

My problem has persisted with every version of Mastercam I have tried including X7.

I have a 4 Axis tool path that machines perfectly I even built my machine Simulator exactly as my machine

In the machine simulator the backplot and verify work correctly.

However in normal verify the part gets hacked to pieces  I am as stubborn as a mule and have been trying to solve this same problem with the same part for about 3 years " I would be backrupt if i was doing it for a living"

I have exhausted every avenue I can think off  I have been able to get it work but I have to put in ridiculous retracts and moves

I don't understand  why it machines correctly and I can  make a correct stock model but gets hacked up in backplot.

Is it possible for one of you very knowledgeable guys to take a look at so I can move on with my life.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this I rarely post any where.

Edit I think i have finally solved my problems 3ax ver 5ax engine  i read in a previous post.

So I think this is solved for now .

post-27977-0-90942800-1433440726_thumb.png

post-27977-0-02486600-1433440740_thumb.png

post-27977-0-72814600-1433440765_thumb.png

post-27977-0-49783800-1433440777_thumb.png

Edited by squirrel_41

This is a image of the Backplot tool path it clearly shows no path through the center of rotation and machine simulates correctly

yet the same tool path in Verify cut straight through the part .

This has been sending me nuts for years and I have no faith in the verify.

I must be be doing something wrong.

post-27977-0-06388600-1433484763_thumb.png

post-27977-0-78599700-1433484826_thumb.png