Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 - How do I make my lathe the default lathe?

Mickey@acceltool

I am trying to make my lathe be my default lathe when I change to lathe in Mastercam but I can not do it. When I open the configuration and go to the default machine tab and navigate to where my lathe "lmd" file on my server it does not show up so I can select it. I don't have any trouble with my Mill Default files, they are there!!

Any ideas as to why they do not show up??

Mickey,

What version of Mcam are you running?

Have the LMD files been updated to the current version?

In the screen shot of the default machines page in the config, notice I'm telling the default lathe machine def to go find a file that is still a .LMD-6

When keeping your machine, control defs & posts up on a server be careful not to bury the files deep in a subfolder structure, also one thing I have done to set up a server location is to create folder locations that mimic the folder structure in the shared McamX7 directory

ie: Server location/ X7 custom machine stuff/ CNC_Machines/ - machine & control defs

:Server location/ X7 custom machine stuff/ Lathe/ Posts/ - lathe posts

:Server location/ X7 custom machine stuff/ Lathe/ Tools/ - custom tool database

I have my lathe defaulted, I'm on a server, no issues

Do you have the drive mapped to your system or are you just navigating up onto the server via the default machine dialog pull down? If you're just navigating, try mapping the drive to your system

When you go into setting config >> default machines, and you hit the pull down, does your lathe lmd show that it's there?

If it does and you select it, save the config, shut down Mastercam and restart it still is not your default?

If that is the case, is your config set to read only? Can you make any other config changes and do they stick?

THE LMD-7 FILE IS IN THE FOLDER I POINT TO BUT IT IS NOT IN THE DROP DOWN. i CAN NOT SELECT IT OR THE OTHER ONES IN THAT FOLDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GETTING VERY IRRITATED WITH X7.........

Mickey did you use the Migration Utility to update your X6 settings to X7? I would be interested to see the contents of your mcamx.config. The file is located in "my mcamx7\CONFIG\" and can be opened in a text editor. Copy the section under [DEFAULT MACHINES] and paste here.

"

I recently seen this issue on a system and even though I had the correct files it would not stick either. I worked around the issue by opening up my config into notepad and went to line 25000 and manually typed the name of my LMD-7 file. As seen in the text below. This worked well for me and i have pasted the section of the config which you would want to edit below. Hope this helps, if not contact your reseller :)

25001. Lathe Machine Definition? <APP_DIR_SHARED>CNC_Machines\Lathe Default.lmd-7

[DEFAULT MACHINES]

25000. Mill Machine Definition? P:\ACCELERATED TOOLING\MCAM-X7\POSTS AND MACHINE CONFIGS\DOOSAN.MMD-7

25001. Lathe Machine Definition? P:\Accelerated Tooling\MCAM-X7\POSTS AND MACHINE CONFIGS\LATHE\BACKUP.

25002. Router Machine Definition? <APP_DIR_SHARED>CNC_Machines\ROUTER DEFAULT.RMD-7

25003. Wire Machine Definition? <APP_DIR_SHARED>CNC_Machines\WIRE DEFAULT.WMD-7

NO THAT IS ANOTHER FOLDER DEEPER IN THE TREE I CAN SEE FOLDERS JUST NOT FILES (LMD'S)

Mickey why are you yelling? Looking at those 2 lines please. I see a difference and that difference to me looks like the problem. I was hoping it would clue you in to look there. It amazes me the lack of patience so many people seem to lack today. I was trying to help, but if you want to get all upset then call your dealer who gets paid to deal with you not me.

For some reason the machine default dropdown gets to a place where it can't see lmd-7 files sometimes

I have no idea why, nor can I make the problem repeat so I can file a bug report.

There is a simple solution

In Windows Explorer, navigate to the lmd-7 file

hold down the Shift key and right click the file

choose "Copy as Path"

On the Mastercam default machine page, navigate to the correct folder

go to the File line and hit "ctrl v"

delete everything but the filename and hit enter... problem solved

[/size]

Mickey why are you yelling? Looking at those 2 lines please. I see a difference and that difference to me looks like the problem. I was hoping it would clue you in to look there. It amazes me the lack of patience so many people seem to lack today. I was trying to help, but if you want to get all upset then call your dealer who gets paid to deal with you not me.

He may not have been yelling, coulda just edited a program prior and didn't feel like retyping in lower case... ;)

Open a folder, any folder

With that folder open, tye ALT + T at the same time, from the drop down that appears, select Folder options

Click on the View tab

Make sure Hide extensions for know file types is unchecked

Then try it again

I'm over X7!!!!!!!!!!!!! Over it!!!!!!!! now the GD software won't even open up. Crashes just opening it up.... Nothing changed!!!!!!!!!!!

IM DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BACK TO X6... THANKS FOR TRYING TO HELP. I CAN'T HAVE THIS. MY SHOP IS WAY TO BUSY TO MESS WITH THIS DAMN SOFTWARE ALL DAY EVERY DAY!!