Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

18k RPM rated tooling recommendation

Hello folks,

They're getting a DMU50 with an 18k spindle. Our fastest spindle here was 13.5k so we're going to need a few holders with a little extra, "umph"

I wanted to ask the experts for your opinions and recommendations.

Heat shrink maybe?

I recently purchased a Techniks Slim Fit collet endmill holder and its rated to 25k. It is pretty cool.

Thanks

Hello folks,

They're getting a DMU50

skype19.gif

LOL Just kidding. I have a friend with a DMU50 and they seem to like it.

As far as the 18K tooling, it's hit and miss, because it really needs to be balanced with the pull stud and the tool for speeds that high. We buy almost all Techniks stuff and it's "balanced to 24,000rpm at G2.5", but you can still tell a difference between tools at 18,000rpm (we don't have a balancer).

TK - Siemens or Heidenhain control???

We use Schunk and also a lot of Haimer that is 25krpm @ G2.5 rated (until you put a tool in :D )

The Haimer is ER16 and ER25 and is excellent value for money over here.

We only have 10k spindles though...but in a few weeks we'll have one with 15k :D

The SK Series from Lyndex Nikken are rated to 30K and they are a very nice system. Things is you need to buy their collets, collet nuts and stuff. My customer in Chino got them for their new machine and I have liked working them. Doing 12K at 220 ipm with HST stuff and no issues at all.

http://www.lyndexnikken.com/Slim-Collet-Chuck--28SK-Collet-Chuck-29

http://www.lyndexnikken.com/images/files/SKColletChuck_CAT2011-TC.pdf

HTH

The SK Series from Lyndex Nikken are rated to 30K and they are a very nice system. Things is you need to buy their collets, collet nuts and stuff. My customer in Chino got them for their new machine and I have liked working them. Doing 12K at 220 ipm with HST stuff and no issues at all.

http://www.lyndexnik...Collet-Chuck-29

http://www.lyndexnik..._CAT2011-TC.pdf

HTH

FYI, the HPI/Pioneer SX series collet is the same beast. And yes, they do work great!

Ron, last I checked HPI/Pioneer was 20~25% less in price. The Paul Harvey is Lyndex/HPI used to the same company. They developed the SK system together (possibly with Nikken). Time went by and they broke up. HPI was still allowed to use the SK (or as they call them SX) style collet. They are (or were) even made in the exact same factory.

The HPI name is soon to be completely replaced with Pioneer, tho the product will remain the same. The one thing I wish Pioneer did offer with their SX holders is offer a smooth collet nut (just a ground finish, no spanner holes) like Lyndex does.

When the Lyndex/HPI breakup did happen, I scored big time. They had a bunch of Lyndex's SK holders in the 3-lock style for ULTRA cheap. That was a good score

Rego-Fix PowrGrip fan myself. The cost for the holders is not astronomical either. Said to hold better than shrink. I can't say for certain. All I know is I've never pulled a tool, then again, all my tool paths are high-speed style as opposed to old style sp perhaps they won't ever as long as I assemble them clean.