Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis channels in od

HEAVY METAL

Hello

Just got this part to program . I have done some cams and 4 axiis sub. toolpaths but this one is going to be tougher. I was thinking that 5 axis surface toolpath output as 4 axis. Anyone who has had experience with this type of cut.WHat would be the best 5axis path to start with.

Thanks Heavy

Right off the bat without downloading or looking at the file Curve 5 Axis would be my 1st choice. Come up with the center line and use Point as your tool axis control set to the center of the part and that will keep your tool normal as you go about cutting it. Then you can come in with a smaller tool to rough the chape and thne a to size tool or even couple .001 under to finish. Looks like fun.

Right off the bat without downloading or looking at the file Curve 5 Axis would be my 1st choice. Come up with the center line and use Point as your tool axis control set to the center of the part and that will keep your tool normal as you go about cutting it. Then you can come in with a smaller tool to rough the chape and thne a to size tool or even couple .001 under to finish. Looks like fun.

How good does my 3d curves have to be. The model has a lot over overlapping geo. Is there a quick way to tighten this up ?

Well you could do the edge where it contacts the OD cylinder and then offset it the difference then just control the depth with the options on the toolpath parameters. Problem is I do not have X5 so any toolpath I would put on it you could not even use.

Crazy. I do have the x7 home learning edition. It came with some on demand classes I bought for multaxis.

I uploaded this file 31620-10010-spiral to FTP. I have isolated the 3d curves. I'm using 5 axis curve toolpath set to 4th axis output and having trouble with the tool offsetting to the inside wall. I have tried the radial offset option and it locks up. Also tried some othe things but not getting the path I want. If someone has a idea I'm all ears.

Thanks Heavy

Not having much luck . I been trying to use the 3d curves with the 5 axis curve toopath set to 4 axis output. the curves make up the top profile of the spiral slot. Now I'm wonder if I need to create a curve on the center of spiral slot and drive this. Thats my next question. I tried using flowline curve the seems to give me a center line to drive but each surface center lines do no line up. Is there a easy way to create center line to drive my tool path?

Thanks heavy