Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Aluminum subplate lifting off table

brandon b

I've got a big aluminum sub plate that I bolt down to my fadals table. It was on the machine for 10 years and never had a problem. Then most of the bolts holding it down snapped off. Now it seems like every 8 or 9 months they keep snapping off. The build up from the spray mist coolant is what I believe to be lifting the subplate up.

I've tried a few different navel jellies, rust inhibitors ,ect.... Nothing helps.

Today I put a sheet of 3/32 neoprene rubber between the aluminum and machine table.

Anybody have any experience or knowledge of this issue?

post-46122-0-96914100-1395197063_thumb.jpg

post-46122-0-81710000-1395197151_thumb.jpg

I think its time to change coolant. only time I have seen it that bad is when coolant was no good. must be terrible coolant. your concentration must be way off and causing rust, causing your table to lift and pop the bolts. I put a coat of way lube on the table then bolt down the sub plate. and have real good coolant, and never had or seen that happen in 15 years. if the top of your table looks like that just imagine what it looks like under the way covers. that is caused by your coolant ph level being out off and the aluminum and cast table are causing a galvanic reaction, causing that rust looking stuff. not good. clean the machine real good, even under way covers, change coolant, maintain ph in coolant and the problem should go away.

We've got a spray mist set up to run off of the fadals tank/pump set up. We try to keep the tank half full cuz the coolant sits so long that the bacteria growth is bad.

We just got one of those fancy $1,000 mixer for our oil room. It's already helping a ton. Way covers been rusting out( whole other problem). Too many guys mixing coolant different ways.

We've got a spray mist set up to run off of the fadals tank/pump set up. We try to keep the tank half full cuz the coolant sits so long that the bacteria growth is bad.

We just got one of those fancy $1,000 mixer for our oil room. It's already helping a ton. Way covers been rusting out( whole other problem). Too many guys mixing coolant different ways.

Refractometer is a must... and you've GOT to calibrate it to the incoming water supply. I've seen in some places where they just go to the closest sink and zero it, and there was a filter on it. Plus you want to make sure if the hose is contributing anything to the water, you want to take it into account.

BTW Brandon, how did that ting smell when you lifted it off?

BTW Brandon, how did that ting smell when you lifted it off?

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Reminds me of a machine I cleaned out years ago that was using lard based cutting oil that was from WWII. It took me 4 days to get all the old chips and stuff out of it. I must have thrown up 10 times cleaning that thing out.

• Like 1

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Reminds me of a machine I cleaned out years ago that was using lard based cutting oil that was from WWII. It took me 4 days to get all the old chips and stuff out of it. I must have thrown up 10 times cleaning that thing out.

haga Ron I bet! What was worse cleaning up? Your throw up or the machine?
The old coolant they used here befor my time was horrible the first time I had to take it off. This new stuff tech cool35048 doesn't dmell at all.

I saw the same thing on an Okamoto water grinder. According to the coolant sales guy, bacteria build between the grinder flat surface and the magnetic chuck causing the chuck to swell. (We were having trouble with the chuck not staying flat). Switched to the recommended coolant recommended by Okamoto and problem solved. If you work with a coolant sales person I;d talk to he/she about the problem and they should be able to recommend an appropriate fluid.

Ok ya I'll have to talk with the sales rep next time he comes in.

We really need to dedicate ONE person to stay on top of coolant management .

There's only 3 of us trying to run up to 10 machines and program mc . So the coolant and stuff like this get put off.

We've lost 4 sets of way covers in the last year and half due to rust and lack of maintenance.