Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Building the dream shop, need some ideas...

Bob W.

So I found a couple of pics that don't embarrass me toooo much...

Unit 1 has 3x Chevalier (X34.5" Y20.5")VMC's all in a row with 1x inch between them :D and also a Prototrak mill, Prototrak lathe, Schaublin 102 lathe, Pemserter, Beadblaster and Rumbler for deburr.

It's 850 square foot. It also has a mezzanine floor with a long office which houses Inspection (cmm + profile projector) and planning/programming and a fridge and kettle :D

The attached piccy's show unit 2 (850 sq ft) which is adjacent to the 1st, with a doorway through.

Pic 1 shows 2x CNC lathes (2" spout), a 15K rpm Feeler vmc, and on the left (just out of shot) another Chevalier vmc, 2x Robodrills, and another programming seat.

It also shows our aircon units :lol:

Pic 2 is taken from the small office roof (shop floor inspection) and better shows the Robodrills (which will be going next month) and the Chevalier.

Despite what people think, we can swing a cat in there, albeit a Manx one :D

:cheers:

post-16211-0-41084400-1442436324_thumb.jpg

post-16211-0-13147200-1442436335_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

^^^ One thing nice about tight places is you dont have to go far to get to the next machine . 

Looks Good   you may be able to get some more stuff in there i still see some space .

Yup - it's easy to run 4 or 5 machines (with the right work).

But you end up walking round in circles all day lol

BTW - empty your inbox junkmail man!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

The move was crazy and a interesting day.  We had the riggers, electrician, electrical inspector, power company, gas company, and Parr Lumber on site at the same time.  We transferred the electrical service at the same time as the move so everything was closely coordinated and it went off without a hitch.  We had the service hooked up by the end of the day and the next day it was run back to the panel that served the original shop (new service sent power back to the original panel).  Then I bought about a dozen 100' extension cords until the new shop had some of the circuits on line.

• Like 1

It looks like it will be nice and warm in there during the cold days and nights Bob. A brand new slate to work from clean to full Capacity until the next addition.

Good Turn around !  How did you manage to get all those people to work together at the same time ???

Well, Yamhill County is fantastic and every time I have been working with my electrical service the inspector has coordinated his schedule so the entire project can be completed in one day.  It was a lot of back and forth for me making sure everyone had what they needed and it went off without a hitch.  The rigging company Omega Morgan is also top notch.  Every time I have had them out here they have exceeded my expectations in both cost and quality of work.  It is fun to work with professionals for sure.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Well the cell has been running for a week now and we have logged 114 machine hours on it in that time.  Pretty happy with that since it is the first week and we are still in the process of moving work over to it.  It is pretty simple to run and definitely meeting my expectations.  Once we get a few more projects moved over we should be getting a full 24 hours a day out of it, maybe in another week or two.  Two things really stand out with this system.  First there is a lot more time to plan and set up projects as it will currently run around 5 hours before stopping.  Second it is a lot more work to make sure there is raw material in front of the machine to run.  Overall it just hums along in the background making parts and we make our way over to reload when time permits.

post-10734-0-04004200-1456531589_thumb.jpg

• Like 6