Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Building the dream shop, need some ideas...

Bob W.

good input but can I inject some basics? I like my machines with every thing needed to do the job in arms reach. a bigger shop is not always the most efficient. I am talking basic clamps, bolts, dead blow, chuck for indicator-edge finder etc. the rest is in my box. would always like a rock and computer withing station area too.

nice staging area for stock and rack for staged job paperwork is good too.

just my simple mind working on this one. your shop sounds cool and your dreams sound even cooler.

doug

to me job flow is just as important as equipment and personell.

• Like 1

good input but can I inject some basics? I like my machines with every thing needed to do the job in arms reach. a bigger shop is not always the most efficient. I am talking basic clamps, bolts, dead blow, chuck for indicator-edge finder etc. the rest is in my box. would always like a rock and computer withing station area too.

nice staging area for stock and rack for staged job paperwork is good too.

to me job flow is just as important as equipment and personell.

I agree 100%. All of my machines currently have a Lista cabinet right next to them with all clamps, indicators, tape measures, parallels, stock stops, 1-2-3 blocks, pens/ pencils, postit note pad, parallel keeper, etc... right there. Only the items used EVERY CYCLE should be on top of it (vise wrench, soft hammer, etc...). The cabinets were expensive but the 30 minutes a day they save has paid for them a few times.

Other items include:

Dowel pin assortment

Open end wrenches

Ratchet wrench

Socket set

metric and English allen wrench set

Shop towels

Deburring tools

Honing stones

All this really helps with efficiency in setup and running the machine.

• Like 3
One of the worst things here and its always been like this is, people keep all the tooling in their own tool boxes and you have to go to person to person to find what you need.

We don't really allow personal tools here for pretty much that reason. That and keeping personal inspection equipment calibrated is a PITA and the inevitable disappearing tools when a person leaves. Our policy is, if you need it, we will buy it for you and everything has a place.

Mike

We don't really allow personal tools here for pretty much that reason. That and keeping personal inspection equipment calibrated is a PITA and the inevitable disappearing tools when a person leaves. Our policy is, if you need it, we will buy it for you and everything has a place.

Mike

Mike, You provide everything?

Yes. There are no personal tools/boxes here. The only personal tool they have are 6in calipers which we provide. What are some items you consider everything?

Mike

Edge finders, Combination squares, indicators, wrenches etc.

Well we have probes and mostly all quick change tooling on everything so a lot of traditional stuff isn't applicable but yeah we just find it easier to supply everything. Besides, when an employee loans their Interapid to another employee and he spins it up to 20K he wants you to buy him another one anyway. :smoke:

Mike

Well we have probes and mostly all quick change tooling on everything so a lot of traditional stuff isn't applicable but yeah we just find it easier to supply everything. Besides, when an employee loans their Interapid to another employee and he spins it up to 20K he wants you to buy him another one anyway. :smoke:

Mike

Sounds like it would work fine doing it that way. Its always sucked here.

• 3 weeks later...

You did say Dream Shop?? That means the bosses office is in the other building!!! So We can get our work done!! LOL

LOL! Unfortunately 100% true. I get most of my work done after 5:00pm and on the weekends when the phone stops ringing and I don't have to put out fires or answer questions.

• Like 1

Yep funny thing about Dinosaurs like me I didn't need to have someone stand over me I just loved what i was doing. As for your shop I have a 40 x60 Empty shop and can't quite figure what to fill it with.

Would love to have a couple Swiss. Biggest thing I can offer is make it a place people want to walk into every day!!! It isn't always the Tools that are most costly.Good Luck!!

• 1 year later...

Did you leave room for a 100yd indoor small bore range?

No, Dangit!  Funny how once the project begins all of the 'ultimate' features go out the window and it is all about getting it done on time and within budget.  I am super excited about how it is looking though.  My employees and I have done several walk throughs and brainstorming sessions about where we want this and that and how the work flow is going to work.  It is pretty well thought out but no barista or mezanine off the roof for break time (yet).

I liked your old shop with the machine about 6foot from the open big doors!

Except winter perhaps...

:D

Actually this is an addition to that shop.  The original was 1200 square feet which is tight with two horizontals, a vertical, and four employees.  The new addition is 5500 square feet which will house all machines.  The original space will be inspection and office space.

• Like 2