Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

v10, and whats the final say?

Joe @ Perfect Fit

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Rarely in the Software World are schedules posted officially and then followed. With something like "X" trust me when I say let's not rush things. I just as anxious as you are but I'd rather wait for greatness than have mediocrity.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yes and no.

The look will be different from the Mastercam we've grown to love but I believe most users will embrace it quickly because it will feel familiar. I don't believe it will be like learning something from scratch though.

One of the things that happens when you migrate from a DOS (Dinosour Operating System biggrin.gif ) software package to a true Windows interface is that when you press Alt+F you'll get the File Menu instead of whatever it was.

JM2C

F1 does not = Zoom All

F1= help

My shortcut fingers will have a lot of unlearning to do. wink.gif

I think I read on this forum that the VX user

will be able to choose between the new V10 interface and the old classic interface--much

like WIN XP can look like Windows classic.

Mastercam has had a V10 team working since V8.

I'm really looking forward to beta testing it!

I'm really looking forward to it.. but there's one thing that absolutely scares the sh!t out of me..

I saw another company do something like this a while back, name was Gibbs or something like that. Anyone else remember this?

Gibbs NC/CAD/CAM was literally da bomb back then. Blew MC clean out of the water, hands down. (MC was around v3 I think, maybe a bit higher.)

Then they developed Virtual Gibbs, and we all know what happened then.

'Rekd

[ 10-16-2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

All I hope is that they do it right. The interface will be different - MDI, tabs, icons, toolbars - there are so many options. I hope they adopt some of the current "standards" out there and try not to reinvent the wheel. I mean ctrl / shift + mouse buttons for zoom, rotate and pan. A command line interface too!! Makes scripting easier and its just nice to have. I use Rhino a lot - it has a nice and easy interface. And we use Autocad here to - one too many toolbars but it has some nice features too.

I guess the trick is - look at whats established and try and learn from it. Isn't that what Windows is all about a common interface among all programs?

Just my two cents worth.

Waitng patiently for X

Jim Pallister

The change in the interface was inevitable. The current menu structure, as efficient as it has been, does become more cumbersome as functions are added; there are only so many places you can put selections until you have to add another branch to the tree.

Once you get more than 2-3 levels deep, things start to get dicy.

A more "flat" interface that brings everything to the top is the only solution.

The key is to do this well. The problem with many products is they rush into it to get the "look" of a contemporary system, but actually produce a less efficient system.

Rek'd, I agree. I saw Smartcam do the same thing... I think CNC has put enough R&D into this that we'll get something that improves efficiency, rather than kill it.

+1 Charles.

quote:

Rek'd, I agree. I saw Smartcam do the same thing... I think CNC has put enough R&D into this that we'll get something that improves efficiency, rather than kill it.

That was Gibbs' biggest problem; they 'improved' effeciency so much that they removed too much of the functionality by automating things which they thought you didn't need to have control over. rolleyes.gif

I'm sure CNC will make this with all the new standards, and will add some cutting edge technology as well.

'Rekd

Ritmo,

Geometry creation is one of the few things Gibbs nailed. Well, aside from having those annoying points everywhere you had 1 or 2 entities terminated/connected/trimmed mad.gif

The Geometry Expert absolutely rocked. It took some getting used to, like anything else, but when it clicked it was awsome.

(Hint, hint, nudge nudge CNC Software... biggrin.gif )

'Rekd

Well I might talk them into shelling out money for it X but might have to wait till XIII or even XX to get that to happen. I keep getting the you need to buy old used equipment why do you want a HSM machine I mean 40 ipm is no problem. What do you mean you don't want to be here 120 hours week and you dont like us telling customers you can do that 8 week job in 8 days. I mean come on suck it up just because we cahnge our mind 10 times a day on what we are going to do and put in 30 to 35 hours a week what is your problem.

Ok I need to shut my mouth.

animatedcannon.gifanihomer.gifanibeavi.gifa_g-dead.gif

anilion1.gifa1dragon.gif

I think sums up my wonderful week in pardise.

Crazy Millman

[ 10-17-2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

quote:

ctrl / shift + mouse buttons for zoom, rotate and pan

+1 on that. I also use Rhino here alot...and the interface freakin rocks ! I would love to see and interface very similar to Rhino's with the ctrl / shift + mouse buttons for zoom, rotate and pan...right click for enter or accept/repeat last command. They seem to have been able to adapt a similar hotkey system too, except a little better IMO.

I find myself trying to do Rhino buttons in MC all the time, and Ive only been using Rhino for about a year or so, MC for over 5, and still use MC more than Rhino. I've never found myself trying to use MC buttons in Rhino....... Something about their interface just clicks.

Also, some 2 mouse button combination menus would be awesome...

[ 10-17-2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

quote:

Geometry creation is one of the few things Gibbs nailed. Well, aside from having those annoying points everywhere you had 1 or 2 entities terminated/connected/trimmed

The Geometry Expert absolutely rocked. It took some getting used to, like anything else, but when it clicked it was awsome.

(Hint, hint, nudge nudge CNC Software... )

Sorry Rekd,

but I have to disagree with you on the Geometry Expert. I thought it was horribly cumbersome. I gave up and used Vellum or AutoCad or anything else the shop had. The other people in the shop warned me ahead of time, but I thought they were jumping the gun and had not put forth the effort to learn it. In the end, I had to agree with them.

Personally I hope X is NOTHING like the Cad side of Gibbs.

Romer

Romer,

With GE, doing basic shapes was simple enough, and modifying existing geometry was fairly simple. Both were definately EASIER and FASTER than other packages. But when it came to creating an 'odd' shape, the GE really rocked.

If you didn't like it or didn't think it was easy, it's because you didn't take the time to learn it properly.

I can create complex geometry with rad's, fillets/chamfers, angles etc. faster and easier than ANY other CAD or CAD/CAM package I've EVER used.

Period.

Yes, this includes Solidworks, Autocad, Mastercam, etc etc etc.

It took me quite a while to get proficient at it, simply because it was so far away from the 'normal' way of creating goemetry.

'Rekd

[ 10-18-2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]