Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HSM Advisor

cunder

When that happens please email me or let me know in any other way and i will add needed materials real fast.

Off the top of my head... 8620 comes to mind. 

I've just been using the "low carbon 5-20Rc" category.

oh and 4150PHT, and 4340.

Not really a gamebreaker, I can use a similar material in the list,but having dedicated S&F's for those would be great since I cut those 3 materials daily.

Can the database be located on a network server and accessed by more than 1 computer? Curious if all programmers can use the same database at the same time.

Yes.

I did this feature for a guy who wanted to run it on 8 computers with shared tool database.

Check out this tutorial, so you can try if it works well for you.

I can always change things as per user input.

http://zero-divide.net/index.php?page=FrontPage&shell_id=151&article_id=4551

• Like 1

What do you think about the support for drills? Guy at the company I am contractoring in said it was not doing it right. Any suggestions?

What is wrong with drills?

The speeds and feeds for drills are given as safest possible, that yet would not cause rubbing.

Realisticly i myslef tend to go 100-150% in cutting speed and 150% in feedrate. (150% feed override is Medium Roughing level for all types of tools)

That way i get best Tool life/Productivity.

BTW. Jeff,

I just added the requested materials. You can get the newest one here- >http://hsmadvisor.com/index.php?page=Download

• Like 2

How about this one    It works for a lot of Good Stuff 

www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html  check it out  it has a Good Machinist Wizard Tool and editor . :thumbsup:

What would be the advantage of cnccookbook over the hsmadvisor?  I couldn't justify the extra $$$ for an unlimited subscription.  The only things I see in the cookbook that would make it more appealing are the quick references.  I am always looking up sizes for screws and other hardware.  Maybe an upgrade for HSMAdvisor?

How about this one    It works for a lot of Good Stuff 

www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html  check it out  it has a Good Machinist Wizard Tool and editor . :thumbsup:

I've been using this for a couple years now. It's fantastic. I downloaded HSM advisor because of this thread and decided to give it a shot. It feels a little... clunky. Well, when it's compared to Gwizard anyways. So, I stopped playing with it.

I'll give it another honest shot after I'm done with the run I'm on.

^  I have been using Gwizard also for the last few years and it does have a lot of the tools that are used daily in this trade and others  and they keep adding goodies as time goes by   very handy to have at the desktop for reference and use. I think they fill in were Machinist tool box left off. and you get full screen viewing and not a little box. The price is pretty cheap compared to how much time is wasted looking for stuff when you need it. the best time to buy it is when they doo the cheapskate sales and then get the multi year discount.

:thumbsup:   Works Good for me .

I've been using this for a couple years now. It's fantastic. I downloaded HSM advisor because of this thread and decided to give it a shot. It feels a little... clunky. Well, when it's compared to Gwizard anyways. So, I stopped playing with it.

I'll give it another honest shot after I'm done with the run I'm on.

Well, like they say: "Individual experiences may vary"

Please do try it some more and if you have any feedback, it would be very nice to hear you.

I believe my HSMAdvisor is a better calculator.

Unlike other software it accounts for Spindle Power curve.

It also considers complete endmill geometry such as flute length, shank diameter etc.

It is better, for example, at suggesting depth of cut for longer-than-regular cutters. Or for cutters with either reduced or larger shank size.

Also there is a big difference in how tools and cuts are accessed by the user.

In my program you can add tools to libraries and add Cutting data such as material, depth of cut, cutting speeds to tools.

I constantly update and improve things, so if anyone has some suggestions, please let me know.

Well, like they say: "Individual experiences may vary"

Please do try it some more and if you have any feedback, it would be very nice to hear you.

I believe my HSMAdvisor is a better calculator.

Unlike other software it accounts for Spindle Power curve.

It also considers complete endmill geometry such as flute length, shank diameter etc.

It is better, for example, at suggesting depth of cut for longer-than-regular cutters. Or for cutters with either reduced or larger shank size.

Also there is a big difference in how tools and cuts are accessed by the user.

In my program you can add tools to libraries and add Cutting data such as material, depth of cut, cutting speeds to tools.

I constantly update and improve things, so if anyone has some suggestions, please let me know.

I will try it out. I've ran into some jobs recently where Gwizard was a bit high on it's SFM, even on the lowest setting. I got chatter and tool wear and had to slow it down as much as 80%. This could be due to my machine and tool not being rigid enough. I mean, I am running HS toolpaths on a dinosaur. I'll compare your program to Gwizard cut for cut and let you know what I think.

I also was thinking the same as using the other hsm advisor to check against the tool settings from g wizard  i compare against mcam and they are usually kinda high so i back them off but after tuning the settings for chip thinning and some of the other settings it does work pretty good. I do think the HSM advisor for extra long tools  just may be another needed tool in the tool box for special long tool HSM or just chatter issues in hard material or extra long tools.But the more tools the better. That way the customer gets great looking hardware and no freaking chatter !!!