Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verdict on X8?

Bob W.

Question for Bob W:

"...lose all of the files that were created within Solidworks. Those can't be opened in stand alone Mastercam..."

Not sure I understand... SLDPRTs and SLDASMs that have MCforSW toolpath data in them can be opened into Mastercam - and the toolpaths, tools, planes, etc will all be there.

Is that the scenario that you're referring to?

I was told that Mastercam files created in Mastercam for Solidworks can't be opened in stand-alone Mastercam, so if I create a CAM program within Solidworks I can't open it in Mastercam. Is this correct?

Can those be opened in Mastercam if the Mastercam doesn't have the MC for SW license?

Thanks for the heads up. That wasn't what my dealer told me, or maybe I misunderstood. Pretty cool. That eliminates one of my major concerns.

You can open MCfSW files in Mastercam and everything comes across .

I just did a file this morning,,

I worked up a test file to prove out a new post in MCfSW...

When my post guy needed a copy I opened the SLDASM file in X8 with no issues ... and all the toolpaths were all there.

but.... I think you have to have a seat of SolidWorks  installed for this to work properly.

I can't test this for you, cause every workstation I have access to has both X8 and SolidWorks installed.

Bob you do not need to have SWorks installed on the computer to open a file with Mcam for SWorks data imbedded in it. When you open the Sldprt file go to the options button in the lower right of the Win open utility and select the check box to import the Mcam toolpaths. The toolpaths will open in the Mcam as well as the planes that were created in SWorks.

Also you can use the same machine defs & posts, tool libraries, that you are using currently in stand alone Mcam.

"...you do not need to have SWorks installed on the computer to open a file with Mcam for SWorks data imbedded in it..."

What he said... thanks CJep and GCode...

Having said all that, though, what Bob W's reseller may have been trying to say is that you cannot open Mastercam MCX files in Mastercam for SolidWorks, though (basically the other way 'round from what we've clarified above).

You CAN use MCforSW to Import Operations from an MCX, though ... but it will not bring the Mastercam geometry into SW. Right now we have no way to generate SW geometry from Mastercam geometry (unless you, of course, do a "SaveAs" from Mastercam and then bring that geometry into SW.

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.

Awesome, does any know the rough cost to "sidegrade" mastercam to mastercam for solidworks?

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes by saying this, but what I've been told is that you cannot sidegrade.  You must buy a new "Mastercam for Solidworks" license independent of any Mastercam licenses you may already own.  This makes it a total no-go for us.

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes by saying this, but what I've been told is that you cannot sidegrade.  You must buy a new "Mastercam for Solidworks" license independent of any Mastercam licenses you may already own.  This makes it a total no-go for us.

My reseller said I could add this functionality to my existing Mastercam license for a fee. It is basically the exact same as upgrading a license from level 2 to level 3, only you are upgrading Mastercam to Mastercam for Solidworks. The existing license doesn't lose any functionality, it gains Mastercam for Solidworks functionality, at least this was my understanding.

I did the same bob.but since its been out in the public beta and heard good things about it.i installed the public release

right away and so far its been good.the only issue I have ,and I know you use vericut so for you it doesn't matter,but my machine

simulation is behaving a little weird.i already contacted shopware about this issue just waiting to hear from them.

A work-around for the X8 MachSim issue is to go into the Control Definition and if it is set for dog-leg rapids, set it for "All axis arrive at destination simultaneously", in the Linear section.