Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Fires in So Cal

Rekd™

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Jay said

quote:

Well it has moved to Santa Clarita , they are evaking Steveson Ranch.

This is the Piru fire that burned along the 5 freeway all the way over to Semi,jumped the 118 freeway and closed the 23,then back to Chatsworth, And I was sure it couldn't and wouldn't burn back over the top of Chatsworth and into Santa Clarita. frown.gif And here it is .

Scott teh' This explains why the fire dep. doesn't call my house for my opinoin

Yeah Rekd now I am getting the down wind effects of it we have eben all day today woke me up last night and had to be in all day at work I am 8 miles west of the 15 and keep hoping they stop it there I am only about 1 mile of the 78 so not as close as you but the fall brook fire is north been watching that one burn for 12 days know cuase soem freaking smart guys decided to have target practice. I seen some otehr smart guys today 4 wheeling in the dry hill near work thinking oh yeah wonder if they got spark arrester in and how clsoe is that exhast to the brush. Hoping we get some help headed this way back in florida we had people for 20 states helping us when we had our bad fire I guess alot of peopel dont remember the cancled race a few years ago cause all the freeways out fo Jacksonville were closed we were a burned in city for about 7 days over 110 miles of 95 were closed and I 10 was closed as well as parts of I 295 the loop around the City of Jacksonville. It was as thick back then as ehre and I didnt do well then and not doing well now. Well keep wearing my mask to work and keeping praying it gets better glad you are weatehring this thing in tact Rekd. My machine will be here the 10th so I will take soem pic and put them up for everyone to see go a cool 360 pic program so will take the whole Department and do a cool animation of that when we get them for the Web site.

Crazy Millman

Paul,

The fires by my house have moved out to the east, to my favorite motorcycle roads, the 79, the 7 and the 6 up Palomar Mountain and out to the lake. Palomar is evak'd.

Cuyamaca is 90 to 95% GONE. frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Still waiting on word if Julian is still there.

Also fires still in South County. confused.gifconfused.gif

Driving home yesterday from work, (about 35 miles), was the scariest thing I've seen in a long time: You couldn't see more than 1/2 mile or so, extremely dense smoke, red and black. Went on for miles and miles. It changed about 2/3 the way home to a grey smoke, less dense but still creepy.

I can actually see blue sky this a.m. from work! biggrin.gif

Still lots going on.

'Rekd

[ 10-29-2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Unlike the tradgedy that happened on 9/11 were it was just BAM buildings down, people dead, wondering WTF just happened, you guys have to sit...day by day and watch EVERYTHING you love and are used to seeing turn to ash and burn to the ground. This has to be terrible.

Glad your house is safe Matt. I hope we hear simaliar news from the rest of the Californian's...

Rekd,

While driving to work this morning I heard KFWB say, most of Julian had been saved. The temperature is expected to go down 10-15 degrees and the winds are shifting to light

on shore breezes today. They are talking light

rain showers Friday. Hang in there. Things are looking up.

Things are still very smoky here in Ontario, smoky

but safe.

[ 10-29-2003, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Good Morning

Where I live in Saugus, near Stevenson Ranch, we see all the fire and smoke, but we are far from danger.

Where I work in Chatsworth the fire burned at the end of Mason or Desoto. It was our street, but My work is still two miles further down into the industrial park .

Where I ride my bike is in Semi valley at Sycamore BMX ,and again I believe the geographic location puts it out of harms way.

As long as I leave my house at 8:00 I miss most of the earlier traffic, and then work late, it all has worked out.

My kids(17,13,&11) just Informed me our school district is closed today(Jay no School). They just came down stairs informing that the school was closed.This is the Southern California equivalent of a "Snow Day". biggrin.gif

Scott teh' That's about it ,until Flood Season.

Well buys the Fog is rolling in on the Coast so that si a good sign. Smoke not so bad now seems to be clearing a little here. Well I am going to the Tool & Mold Expo today so I will talk you guy later today. I got the President going with me so that should be intresting. I will call you James so we can met up.

Have a godo day Guys and play nice. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif J/K

Crazy Millman teh computer feel better now I let it rest all night so it is fresh and all cleaned out and ready to go at it this morning.

quote:

While driving to work this morning I heard KFWB say, most of Julian had been saved

Thank God!!!!!!!!!

Julian is awsome. If you've never been there, you should go. Historical and beautiful. And they make the BEST apple pie!

I cant count the times my wife and I rode 2 up on the bike to Julian in the dead of winter, sometimes in snow, just to go to our favorite bar and have a hot cocoa with schnapps and some fire bombs. (Cherries soaked in 151 Rum)

I've got so many memories of all the mountain towns here in SD. I've spent countless hours riding literally thousands and thousands of miles up and down these hills with my wife.

'Rekd

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Things are still very smoky here in Ontario, smoky but safe.

+1

I was going to the Tool Show but too much going on. My pregnant wife (Sherri) had some trouble so I've been taking her to the doctor quite a bit lately (so I can't get away). She's better now and all is well with her.

From Fox News this morning:

The Biggest Fire

The state's biggest blaze, the 210,000-acre Cedar Fire in San Diego County, had already destroyed 200 to 300 homes on the south side of Julian, a Cuyamaca Mountains town of 3,500 famous for its apple crop. The 210,000-acre Cedar Fire had a 45-mile front and was just miles from merging with a 37,000-acre fire near Escondido.

Firefighters made preparations Wednesday to make a stand to save the rest of the town, said sheriff's spokesman Chris Saunders.

"They are vowing to save it," Saunders said.

The Cedar Fire, with a 45-mile-long front, was just miles from merging with a 40,000-acre fire near Escondido, west of Julian. That fire had grown from 37,000 acres late Tuesday but was 20 percent contained, said Kathleen Schori, a spokeswoman for the Department of Forestry.

Ten miles south of Julian, about 90 percent of homes were destroyed in Cuyamaca, a lakeside town of about 160 residents, said Chief Bill Clayton of the California Department of Forestry.

"I'm sad to say the community of Cuyamaca was destroyed this afternoon," he said

Stranded Hunter Was 'delirious' When Found By Sheriff's Deputies

SAN DIEGO 10.29.03, 8:55a -- San Diego County Sheriff's Deputy Dave Weldon has no doubt who started the Cedar Fire in eastern San Diego County, which at last count had killed 10 people and destroyed 881 homes.

Weldon is the pilot who rescued Sergio Martinez, 33, of West Covina, who had become separated from his hunting partner in the Cleveland National Forest.

Martinez was waving frantically to the rescue helicopter from atop a small mountain about 6 p.m. Saturday as a nearby fire sent flames shooting 10 feet in the air. That's the same time and place where authorities say they believe a lone hunter started the blaze.

"I'm absolutely positive he lit the fire," Weldon said Tuesday. "He did it to signal us ... It was very clear to us that there is no other way this fire could have started."

Martinez was issued a misdemeanor citation Saturday night by the U.S. Forest Service for setting an unauthorized fire, Weldon said. The officer who cited Martinez warned him at the time that he could face felony charges if people were injured or homes destroyed. He was then released.

A man who identified himself as the father of a Sergio Martinez in West Covina declined to comment Tuesday night after coming to the door of the family home.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's office in San Diego, Deborah Hartman, said a man she declined to name has been questioned about how the fire started but was not in custody.

"He did this because he was lost, allegedly, and was trying to locate his friend," San Diego County Sheriff Bill Kolender said Tuesday. "He thought by starting the fire his friend would be able to see him. Not a very good move."

Kolender said he couldn't recall the suspect's name.

Weldon said he received a dispatcher's call around 5:30 p.m. Saturday that a man was stranded in the forest. A hunter identified by Weldon as Ron Adkins called 911 to report that he lost his partner around 10 a.m. while the two men were hunting deer. Adkins told authorities that the men set out at 5:30 a.m.

Weldon and Deputy Rocky Laws saw a plume of black smoke surrounded by 10-high sage and a few oak trees. As their MD-50 helicopter landed on a hillside, they saw Martinez seated on a pile of rocks, waving his hands.

Weldon said it took him about 10 minutes to walk through 50 yards of brush. He carried two quarts of water, which Martinez quickly gulped.

"We had to drag and carry this guy," Weldon said. "He was severely dehydrated and borderline delirious."

At the time, the fire was only about 50 square yards and the flames were 10 feet high. Skies were clear, and there were no power lines nearby.

"He denied setting the fire, but next thing he did his was hang his head low and say, 'I'm sorry about all this.' He kept apologizing and looking at the fire," Weldon said.

Weldon met a Forest Service officer in the San Diego Country Estates section of Ramona. Martinez consumed more liquid, was ticketed and released.

A sheriff's deputy drove him to his Chevrolet pickup truck in a remote mountain area, where Adkins was waiting for him.