Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Fires in So Cal

Rekd™

Well James gald she is doing better and couldn't get a way today got a $45,000 quote they want today I got the promised job for Monday still in the works. My wife has felt the best she has felt in a few weeks so felt ok but still was only an hour way in I were needed.

Well the sun is out here no smoke as of 11:45 where does the day go been here almost 6 hours and feel like 1 oh well such is life.

Crazy Millman

[ 10-29-2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man.. i didn't realize how bad the fires were until getting on here for the first time since they started. shows how crappy the news is here in michigan. i'm glad to here everyone is getting thru it. i have one question, i'm not real familiar with san diego's size, but i have a cousin living there and i believe he is near the coast - maybe by sea world. is the area he is in anywhere near the areas you guys are talking about?

i'll completely understand if nobody wants to take the time to answer this for me. thanks.

keep on keepin on everyone!

biss

Just wanted to check in with a good thought for you all down south..

We are sending lots of fireman from Nt. California down to you all. I hope these fires are contained soon.

So far, all my family and such are out of harms way, but my heart goes out to all of the people in the path.

Kathy

biss03, if your friend is near sea world, they are in absolutely no danger.

I can see the sun for the first time in days. My wife's 100 yr old home is safe (fire passed withing a few miles on both sides!) and son-in-laws house is out of danger.

Winds shifted East, good for the city, bad for the country. Julian is fighting for it's life; outcome in doubt but 1,000 fire engines up there.

THANK YOU N. Calif., Nevada, Arizona, and others sending help!

biss03, if your friend is near sea world, they are in absolutely no danger.

I can see the sun for the first time in days. My wife's 100 yr old home is safe (fire passed withing a few miles on both sides!) and son-in-laws house is out of danger.

Winds shifted East, good for the city, bad for the country. Julian is fighting for it's life; outcome in doubt but 100 fire engines & over 1,000 firefighters up there.

THANK YOU N. Calif., Nevada, Arizona, and SO MANY others sending help! WE NEED YOU, WE ARE SO GRATEFUL, AND WE WILL NOT FORGET YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just heard.... frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

One firefighter has just died in the Julian fire, several others severly burned. frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Some of these firefighters were working fires when they heard that their own neighborhoods were burning, or that their own home was destroyed. Yet they stay on the line and did thier best to save the lives and homes of others. heroes all

[ 10-29-2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]

Guess what I saw on the way home from work today?

Military helicopters with buckets of water flying over the I15. (About 3:00pm today)

Guess where they were going?

To the other side of the freeway trying to prove to the CDF that they're capable of dropping buckets of water on fires!!!!

Is it just me or is something wrong with this? confused.gif

15% of the county of San Diego has burned in the last 5 days, and we've got almost a dozen heli's flying around the base picking their noses because they aren't certified to fight fires.

There's a guy with a several thousand gallon water tanker that went to help the fire trucks fill up, so they wouldn't have to drive miles away to re-fill.

Guess what?

They wouldn't let him help! He wasn't certified!

How much more death and loss of property must we endure before the powers that be pull their heads out?

'Rekd teh mad.gif

[edit]

Update; 1 firefighter confirmed dead in Julian, 3 injured, one critically.

Mayhaps if they had a couple more heli's or some more water tankers to fill up the fire trucks??

[/edit]

[ 10-29-2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Rek'd,

I agree. These guys are excellent pilots! They have a lot of experience hauling heavy loads on cables under their helicopters. I've seen them haul everything from a Humvee to a 155 Howitzer! I assume they can handle a bag of water!

Ironic that as the fire was yards from Miramar Air Station, helo's and C-130's were on the ramp with the ability to help put out the fire that was threatening those very aircraft?

What happy horse sh&%.

Bureaucracy is an evil perpetrated by the mediocre to stay in positions of power and deny the truly competent their deserved spot in the world. mad.gif

Charles and Rekd,

I am back in my house in Ramona - Mt. woodson to be exact. The last contact I had with the "outside world' was with Rekd on sunday am. Right after that we loaded everything up and spent two wonderful nights in the Ramona K-Mart parking lot. Watched the fire get within 1/4 mile of the mountain I live on. Too close for comfort. I spent two night with people who actually lost their homes. What a tragedy. I feel VERY lucky.

Anyway, Got back home this morning and everything is fine. Power is on, satellite, and internet access! My business in Santee- another city hit hard - only lost one day due to a power outage. What a boss - I paid the guys anyway!

This whole thing is gonna make me seriously review my homeowner's insurance.

Hopefully this nightmare will end soon.

Mark Linder

Guys,

first thing I want to say is that I hope all of you and your family in harms way make it out unscaved and my family is praying for all of you. Secondly I can't believe we can spend so much money and resources helping everybody else in the world but we have problems allocating enough to help our fellow Americans in need. This makes my blood boil.

4_2_104.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Well, seems as though the weather is helping a bit today. High Humidity and lower temps. Hopefully the wind won't kick up so much. I breathed some of the freshest air I've breathed in a while today. Very nice. Hope you guys in SD are breathing some clean air for a change. I saw buue sky for the first time yesterday.

Matt, thanks.

I know I said I wasn't gonna comment on this any more, but the more I think about it the madder I get. So here goes

We had, (and STILL HAVE) the assets and resources needed to have 1) stopped this fire BEFORE it was bigger than 100 yards in diameter, 2) prevented this fire from getting anywhere NEAR the size it did even if we didn't stop it when it started, 3) prevented this fire completely thru thinning and removal of fuels.

Are you aware that the Sherrif's department called the CDF REPEATEDLY to plead with them to come put the fire out because it was 'growing rapidly and getting out of control'? Are you all aware that the Cedar fire burned for 7 hours before anyone showed up to fight it?

There is a serious mis-use of resources, authority and assets in California. I don't know if it's because of stupidity, malice, ignorance or what, but it's reached well beyond the critical levels and needs to be stopped NOW!

Allowing something like this to happen is nothing short of criminal. Who will answer to this? Who will take responsibility for this? There are so many reasons that this shouldn't have happened in the first place, should have been stopped when it started, and should not have been allowed to reach the destructive size it did.

BTW, another thing that really p!ssed me off was hearing the Fire Cheif, Bowman I think his name is, blaming this disaster on us not paying enough taxes.

He basically said if we (Californians) weren't complaining so much about taxes and refusing to pay more taxes, we would've had the needed resources.

Excuse me, but we HAVE the fuc#ing resources you idiot! We have the fuc#ing assets too!

They're sitting on the tarmac!!!!!!!!!

They'er being turned away from helping because they dont have a fuc#ing permit to fill your godda#n fire trucks up with water!!!!

They're being turned away because they're not certified to fight fires in California, only Colorado!!!!!!!

They'er being turned away because even though they are probably better pilots with better equipment they are not certified to fight fires outside the city limits!!!!!

If any of you heard his statement, please tell me how you thought it sounded; maybe I'm too sensitive, but to me he sounded mad that he was questioned about why resources weren't being allocated in a timely manner and flatly and un-arguably blamed it on citizens who complained about taxes.

I'm glad you're risking your life to fight fires and all that, (besides the fact that it;s your, um.. JOB), but to blame it on the taxpayers is rediculous. We pay enough money in taxes. Why not use that money effeciently instead of squandering it away.

'Rekd teh Furious

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

... and another thing, Davis (the only Governor in the history of California to be recalled) was highly irratated when the media was second guessing him on the delay of bringing in the National Guard for whatever assistance was needed. Sad to say Politics has gotten in the way once again instead of doing the right thing. I say throw ALL the bums out Democraps AND Republicans alike and start over. Not even because of this, these idiot kids are having their sandbox wars and WE suffer. RECALL THEM ALL!!! RECALL THEM ALL!!! RECALL THEM ALL!!! RECALL THEM ALL!!! RECALL THEM ALL!!! RECALL THEM ALL!!! RECALL THEM ALL!!! RECALL THEM ALL!!! RECALL THEM ALL!!! RECALL THEM ALL!!! RECALL THEM ALL!!! RECALL THEM ALL!!!

James teh irritated

+1 James!

[rant]

Which brings another quote I heard, from the gobner Grey Dufas; He also said that the 'tripple car taxes' would have paid for the needed resources. confused.gif

Again.. WE ALREADY HAVE THE RESOURCES AND ASSETS. USE THEM FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

Then he whimpered something about '..but you have already voted on that issue blah blah blah'

GET OVER IT YOU POS!

[/rant]

'Rekd

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hey, we have to live within our means right? We can't go get a raise every time we have a pet project, want a new toy, etc... Entitlement mentality drives that train, and that train is heading right for a cliff full speed with no brakes.

OUT!!!!

James teh highly irratated!

+1,000,000 to James and Rekd...

and NO, Rekd, YOU ARE NOT BEING TOO SENSITIVE. Speaking as someone who could only sit next to a long time vendor and friend and watch his "little slice of paradice" burn to the ground (just outside Running Springs) and then to listen to these highly insulting @$$h0les complain about not enough money and resources mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif What is also detestable is the fact that the military has equipment that could have been used in a matter of minutes. These guys (the Marines at Camp Pendleton) are trained to be the first in, take care of business, clean up and get out.

I have to admit that James' response of "RECALL THEM ALL" really does make sense. Or, if not the politions, at least the assinine red tape that encourages disaster versus protecting the populas.

JM2C

PS: Rekd and Charles (and anyone I missed) I am very thankful your ok.

==========================================

If any of you heard his statement, please tell me how you thought it sounded; maybe I'm too sensitive, but to me he sounded mad that he was questioned about why resources weren't being allocated in a timely manner and flatly and un-arguably blamed it on citizens who complained about taxes.

===========================================

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yes, quite theraputic. It allows me to formulate ym letter to my local rep and let him know what I think about the current situation and what I plan on doing about it come election time.

James teh "Throw the bums out!"