Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O\T spyware

Mark H

Anybody have any info on spyware, and do programs like spyhunter, spycop, spykiller... do anything to stop the gathering of info from your computer and giving it to whomever. Or would a firewall take care of this? TIA

[ 10-27-2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Mark H ]

I recommend Ad-aware to those who need it. To avoid spyware in the first place, don't use IE (it's easy to click "yes" at various websites that install apps like Gator), if you must use P2P apps use one's without spyware bundled and don't install shady apps in general. A firewall won't neccessarily prevent spyware from finding its way onto your computer, but a firewall is a good idea none-the-less. Most spyware is installed unknowningly by the user of the computer, believe it or not eek.gif

Ad-aware .

And stay away from Kaza ,Emule and so .

And use Mozilla ,not explorer .

Don`t use Outlook or O,Express.

Use firewall .

Have good updated antivirus

Disable java and javascript .

(This forum will not work )

Never reply to spam or not known sender .

Disable HTML in mailer

Never turn on your PC smile.gif

Send it to /dev/null frown.gif

As was mentioned, I have found Kaza to be the biggest contributor on my home machine (damn kids).

I am told that Kaza "light" doesnt install teh spyware, but I dont know if that is true or not.

PS. You will find that deleting the all of the spyware will render Kaza nonfunctioning.

I use Norton Internet security for my firewall software at home (cable modem).

I run Adaware about once a month.

I just ran Adaware on a friends machine who was letting several teen agers do whatever they wanted. Adaware found over 1000 files and entries.

Note that certain programs are "legitimate" spyware. I know certain AOL features wont work if you delete some files that adaware flags as spyware.

[ 10-27-2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

ok a question related to this then why would Mill9.exe want access to the internet through iexplorer. My firewall will pop up ever so often asking me that very question. It has happen about dozen time in the last month didnt want to say anything but sicne you guys are talking about it seems like a good time.

Crazy Millman

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...why would Mill9.exe want access to the internet through iexplorer?...

Shhhhhhhhh. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm huntin' piwates huhhuhhuhhuh. biggrin.gifwink.gif j/k

James teh retro cartoon buff

I use adaware religiously. There is another program you SHOULD have as well. Its called Spyware Blaster. You install this freebie and the program blocks any attempt to install the spyware listed in its database. After you get Adaware and clean the system, install Spyware Blaster and use it to block any attempt to install spyware.

Just make sure you keep it up to date!

Greg

Enough spyware on your system can load it down... I went over to a friends and ran spybot. After cleaning up a bunch of stuff (about 128 different items), the mouse no longer spazzed in fits and starts while moving across the screen and the internet link usage dropped to almost nothing. The cpu usage was at about 7% before and 1% after.

Talk about bogging down! My kids got on my wife's computer and after a few visits to Kaaza, I suspect, her computer had so many pop-ups and so much crap running in the background that her bookkeeping software virtually stood still. These parasites feed on each other, install themselves, and invite their buddies. I wound up using Spybot S&D as others here have already mentioned, to clean it up. I found a website called www.doxdesk.com where you can get descriptions and information on the manual removal of some parasites. Interesting reading.

PBPaul