Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

GROB G550 Machines

G 350 is just a smaller version of the 550. Both machines can come with Siemens Heidenhain or Fanuc. Though they scoff at using Fanuc a bit. Seems to be taking off in the medical sector. Used very heavily in automotive, Ford I believe. Frame is a weldment which I don't care for. Seem to be decent machines. I know a lot of people don't care for Siemens because of support. Supposedly Grob is large enough to not have to go to Siemens for support, they can do it all internally which seems impressive. They do build specialty machines here in Ohio about two hours north of me which is cool and support their claim to be self reliant.

• Like 1

weird looking machines...weird axis orientations. After looking at this video I would reconsider.....

The way the Z axis goes in & out of a hole looks to be a chip control nightmare.

The table being a toilet bowl design makes me wonder about the rigidity vs a trunion.

15 of them!!!! thats a big order right there!

• Like 2

We looked at them at IMTS. The way the spindle is supported in the Z axis on those rails was pretty cool, the distance from the linear z axis bearings to the spindle is constant. The z never gets extended out where it has a lot of overhang. The length of tool the were running with that Z axis configuration was pretty impressive too.

• Like 1

well....getting 15 of them you are likely gonna get some pretty good factory support. I really really like the 840Di controllers on our matsurra's.....they are much faster than a fanuc controller (30i's w/ all the bells & whistles). They are weird at first but like anything else you get used to them. Only downside to them is when you do have an issue they can be a royal PITA to troubleshoot, tho with GROB doing all the support in house you might not run into that issue. I am curious to know how they work out for you.

LOL Mic6. Not much of an install though. Those things are small compared to the other machines we have. I think it might be ready to run next week. I'll see if I could snap a picture or two tomorrow.

They also started installing another e-1850 this past Monday. That one should take at least another couple of months.

...I really really like the 840Di controllers on our matsurra's.....they are much faster than a fanuc controller (30i's w/ all the bells & whistles).

I had a CUBLEX-25 (Siemens840DI) on our floor and a MAM72-35V(N) (New Style - 31i-B5. In the MAM, the part was 23min. and change. In the CUBLEX after doubling the feed, plus cranking over the feed override to the max...28min. AND not near as smooth.

:coffee:

I'll take the new FANUC controls all day every day over Siemens.

:whistling:

I had a CUBLEX-25 (Siemens840DI) on our floor and a MAM72-35V(N) (New Style - 31i-B5. In the MAM, the part was 23min. and change. In the CUBLEX after doubling the feed, plus cranking over the feed override to the max...28min. AND not near as smooth.

:coffee:

I'll take the new FANUC controls all day every day over Siemens.

:whistling:

:yawn

I base my opinion on what I have on the floor. And a machine from 2004 (V-max 800 w/ a 804Di) runs smoother and faster during complex surfacing paths than a machine from 2011 (H-plus 405 w/ the 30i).

Yes the 30i is optioned out w/ all the high speed stuff.

The Siemens are great till you gotta work on them. Then they make the Fanuc's look user friendly.

:yawn

I base my opinion on what I have on the floor. And a machine from 2004 (V-max 800 w/ a 804Di) runs smoother and faster during complex surfacing paths than a machine from 2011 (H-plus 405 w/ the 30i).

Yes the 30i is optioned out w/ all the high speed stuff.

The Siemens are great till you gotta work on them. Then they make the Fanuc's look user friendly.

The 828d blows the Oi out of the water for the budget control as well. I haven't use an 840 yet. The 828d seems in between my 31i and oi for look ahead, control, etc.

• 1 month later...

I really like Grob machines but I love 840D controls.  As for Grob support... my experience has not been a good one but I won't run them down here.  Variable programming is so much easier and less confusing.  Name your variables what ever you want.  [#134[#135-#136]]  <--- yeah, that never runs together.  And probe routines... I'll take Siemens any day.

• 5 months later...