Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas vs. Makino

Bob W.

When I posted my original Haas vs. Makino videos I got a lot of flack because I was comparing apples to oranges.  Comparing a Makino PS95 to a Haas VM3 isn't apples to oranges but comparing an A51nx HMC to a Haas really is comparing apples to oranges so for this video I decided to leave Haas out of the picture.  This is a short video of the machine that recently replaced my Haas VM3 "Mold Machine".  I figured some folks would enjoy it.

http://youtu.be/9QX09YOQdpg

• Like 5

Tool life of 5 minutes?  Pfft, around here that end mill has to last two months.....

Funny how the bean counters, who are supposedly business and fiscal experts, can screw things up so badly.  Say I have a shop rate of $100 per hour and I am running that tool at 150 ipm and getting INFINITE tool life.  How much is there to gain if I push that tool to 500 ipm and only get a mere hour of tool life?  Well, when that tool is in the machine running my effective shop rate has just climbed to $333 per hour (500/150*100).  Not because the shop rate was adjusted but because that much more work is getting done in the same amount of time.  The tool lasts for one hour in the cut so it is effectively making me $333 instead of $100 at the slower speeds and feeds.  After the hour in the cut and a spent tool, at $40 per tool it just paid for itself and put $193 extra $$$ in my pocket, just by pushing it harder...  That is how you make money with a machine shop.  Do that for every tool, every job, and buy machines that can run them like that.  Then your shop time becomes so valuable you start spending $$$$$ on quick change EVERYTHING because you don't want the machines sitting idle, EVER.

• Like 4

Funny how the bean counters, who are supposedly business and fiscal experts, can screw things up so badly.  Say I have a shop rate of $100 per hour and I am running that tool at 150 ipm and getting INFINITE tool life.  How much is there to gain if I push that tool to 500 ipm and only get a mere hour of tool life?  Well, when that tool is in the machine running my effective shop rate has just climbed to $333 per hour (500/150*100).  Not because the shop rate was adjusted but because that much more work is getting done in the same amount of time.  The tool lasts for one hour in the cut so it is effectively making me $333 instead of $100 at the slower speeds and feeds.  After the hour in the cut and a spent tool, at $40 per tool it just paid for itself and put $193 extra $$$ in my pocket, just by pushing it harder...  That is how you make money with a machine shop.  Do that for every tool, every job, and buy machines that can run them like that.  Then your shop time becomes so valuable you start spending $$$$$ on quick change EVERYTHING because you don't want the machines sitting idle, EVER.

Preach it!

Bob, you'll never work in a big company.

You just don't understand...

• Like 1

I have been fortunate to date to get almost any tooling I need or want. Times are changing though and only time will tell how things go, up to now I rate all my tooling by the ROI it can give me. If you talked to any of the local reps They would tell you if you want me to try your tool you need to do 2 things. 1st plug and play -  they have to match the current SFM and chip load then If their tooling blows up during the test they just bought the part. My thought is if you do not have full confidence in the product your selling to be equal to what I am currently then I don't even want to try your product.

Bob, you'll never work in a big company.

You just don't understand...

I worked 6 weeks in a $12 Billion a year company. I was employee 48,563. They had their own banks, health insurance, and other things. $80k for 40 hours a week. Using Pro-E and I was promised I would get Mastercam to program with. I learned that scrapping several $100,000 worth of parts no big deal wen over $70 million a week is going out the door. Hand edit all of your programs no big deal. Spend 3 weeks doing a 2 hour job no big deal. Machine is making parts and you can look busy people are happy. Yes you too can become mindless and complaisance if you want to work here for the next 30 years. Sorry was not for me and I was already being considered for a management position when I left. Bob practices what I show people all the time. I can show them day in and day out and they will still argue with me over that $40 tool. It should last a 100 parts not 20. Well I could make it last a 100 parts, but it will cost you 3 times as much to do so. No you are wrong that tool cost money and time I got a plenty of. I just shake my head and get those kind of jobs done and tell them to have a great day.

• Like 1